Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meal frequency ... page 2

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    It takes at least 24 to 36 hours for the food you eat to affect metabolism.
    Stoking your metabolism by eating small, frequent meals is more CW hogwash, brought to you by the same bunch who preach about "heart healthy" whole grains.
    its not nearly as much CW hogwash as you think. All my clients create a food diary for me. From this you actually find that most are under eating (regardless of goals). Once they start eating more they lose more weight. I wouldnt recommend this for people who want to IF but to those who dont regular primal meals work. Each to their own. I am by no means a finished article but as someone who has gained or lost weight (depending on how I was testing my body to respeond to different training) I have never eaten less, just altered the nutrient balance of the meals. I am happy to bow down to those who know more than me, but I have converted my clients to primal and this way of thinking (many tried to eat 3 meals but ended up snacking on the wrong things limiting results) and it works for them.

I have a long ways to go until I reach ideal weight etc but as someone who was the fit skinny kid, I am now 6'1 205 and 8%bf. like I said a long ways to go, but heading the right way. I would be happy to discuss how eating 3 meals like some above would be more benificial. Not being arsie, I would happily discuss this further, always happy to learn.

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 12-31-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

PhiPsiJB is offline Junior Member
    Richardmac: I agree with you when it comes to meal frequency...as you said, to each his own. While I am by no means an expert, the more I read and learn about nutrition and fitness, the more I learn that there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Yes, there are sound underlying principles to follow, such as PB, but in the end you have to find what works for you and you alone.

As for myself, I prefer eating about four meals a day with a small snack thrown in on occasion. Due to my work and training/racing schedules, eating only rarely during the day, regardless of meal size, doesn't work well for me.

And just to be clear, I tend to follow a solid 85/15 approach when it comes to PB/Paleo nutrition and my weight, energy levels, and other factors are well within healthy, desired limits.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    When I eat fully paleo with higher fat (70%, with 20% protein, 10% carbs), there is no way I could eat that many meals.
    Unless you are eating very small meals?? What are your macros?

I only just upped the fats to 70% this week, and my fat seems to be melting away (official weigh in tomorrow) and I also feel amazing. Today I have not needed to eat much at all, as I am just not hungry, and I still have tons of energy.
    But I have been eating 1 smaller meal and 1 larger meal this week, apart from today.
    I do have 100 lbs to lose though, and am not working out hard, just walking around 5 km each day, with things like squats, and pushups around my house when I think of it.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiPsiJB View Post
    Richardmac: I agree with you when it comes to meal frequency...as you said, to each his own. While I am by no means an expert, the more I read and learn about nutrition and fitness, the more I learn that there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Yes, there are sound underlying principles to follow, such as PB, but in the end you have to find what works for you and you alone.

As for myself, I prefer eating about four meals a day with a small snack thrown in on occasion. Due to my work and training/racing schedules, eating only rarely during the day, regardless of meal size, doesn't work well for me.

And just to be clear, I tend to follow a solid 85/15 approach when it comes to PB/Paleo nutrition and my weight, energy levels, and other factors are well within healthy, desired limits.
    I hope it keeps working for you my friend. What do you race in?

I am trying to make my diet better. We all know its an ever evolving thing as we continue to learn what fats/protiens etc our bodies like best. I have just posted a thread in the 'Nutrition' section talking about a desire to try 4 meals a day. I actually posted what I ate yesterday if you facny checking it out.

Richard

I eat really small meals. It has worked for me, but not for everyone I know.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

PhiPsiJB is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    I hope it keeps working for you my friend. What do you race in?

I am trying to make my diet better. We all know its an ever evolving thing as we continue to learn what fats/protiens etc our bodies like best. I have just posted a thread in the 'Nutrition' section talking about a desire to try 4 meals a day. I actually posted what I ate yesterday if you facny checking it out.

Richard

I eat really small meals. It has worked for me, but not for everyone I know.
    Up until May of last year I was focusing on half- and full marathons, whittling away at my goal of a sub-3:00 marathon. Then I was promoted at work. While this is a good thing it threw my work schedule, and thus personal life, upside-down in many ways. I have had to scale back my training and racing, so now I focus on 5K's and 10K's.

I'll be sure to check out your other thread in the "Nutrition" section and post a reply there.

I too eat smaller meals, depending on appetite; I simply try to listen to my body. If I'm ravenous after a particularly hard workout, I'll eat more than if it is a rest day. Ebb and flow, ebb and flow...

Privateer is offline Junior Member
    Breakfast- cup of coffee
    snack- celery and carrot sticks (4" each- 4 pcs. total)
    Lunch- 3oz. beef or chicken broth
    snack- 5 almonds-one small apple
    water and coconut water in moderation
    Dinner- decent PB meal w/ 4-6oz protien, 10oz vegie, 4oz yogurt or sourkraut
    2oz espresso 1oz Baily's Irish Cream then walk the dogs 1-3 miles.
    Last edited by Privateer; 01-10-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Cwick is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    Breakfast- cup of coffee
    How do you live on this?!?!??!

Privateer is offline Junior Member
    Before finding PB, I had stopped running the 100 miles/month for marathon training so I had already stopped eating large portions and had eliminated breakfast most of the time and ate small portions for lunch and dinner. Personally, I think my stomach shrinks under these conditions, but that is just my opinion. The note above is to knock off pounds quickly. I will modify it when I get there. I am facinated by the height / weight charts and the weights considered correct. According to them and my 6'1" height, I need to go from 180 (w/o clothes) to around 165-170! That is what I weighed in college many years ago! Honestly, I am doing very well on this so far, but please notice that I am a beginner and made this up as it seems to fit me. No reason it should be followed by others.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Small, frequent meals never worked for me. I would feel hungry constantly, sluggish, and foggy as well.
    I do better with big meals, once or twice a day. My energy is better with this setup, and I don't have to hassle with food all day.
    Plus, I'm not in a constant state of digestion, so all of my energy is available for other things, like work and exercise, ect... and my weight stays stable.
    To each his own.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    Breakfast- cup of coffee
    Privateer - the whole reason for going paleo/primal is so that you don't have to fret the details like this. EAT MORE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast