Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Whey Protein "PIG SLOP" page 8

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Until ten years from now when you see the headline, "Leucine supplementation blocks enzyme production leading to metabolic disorders" or something like that. We're already getting leucine. Go do 100 push-ups and eat a friendly pound of bacon with some oysters, eggs or avocado on the side. Done.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Zach is offline Banned
    I highly doubt that you need 30g of protein in a sitting to be able to spare or build muscle. As for you, if anything you probably need less protein then a young person who is still growing or building mass. What you do need is to make sure you are getting plenty of calories and nutrients. There are studies showing that if calories for fuel is high then actual protein requirement is pretty low, something like 50g.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Until ten years from now when you see the headline, "Leucine supplementation blocks enzyme production leading to metabolic disorders" or something like that. We're already getting leucine. Go do 100 push-ups and eat a friendly pound of bacon with some oysters, eggs or avocado on the side. Done.
    I can only do 55 push-ups and I am sick of avocados after eating one per day for the last 4 months!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I can only do 55 push-ups and I am sick of avocados after eating one per day for the last 4 months!
    Here's the thing Art... you are asking for permission to use a whey supplement.
    Lots of people use them and are just fine I suppose.
    But here in this forum there is obviously a wide variety of opinions about how much protein is necessary per day... and therefor leucine (which you're read that this one fella suggests "x" amount of)... and we tend, on the whole, to favor natural foods over processed methods of attaining the goodies we need.

Ultimately YOU have to decide if you really need/want to use the whey supplement, if one guy's/Dr's (receiving royalties evidently?) recommendation is worth the hassle, and if you think that it will be of a sufficient benefit to bother with rather than just eating food.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Here's the thing Art... you are asking for permission to use a whey supplement.
    Lots of people use them and are just fine I suppose.
    But here in this forum there is obviously a wide variety of opinions about how much protein is necessary per day... and therefor leucine (which you're read that this one fella suggests "x" amount of)... and we tend, on the whole, to favor natural foods over processed methods of attaining the goodies we need.

Ultimately YOU have to decide if you really need/want to use the whey supplement, if one guy's/Dr's (receiving royalties evidently?) recommendation is worth the hassle, and if you think that it will be of a sufficient benefit to bother with rather than just eating food.
    Cori, I very much appreciate your responses. I do want to make a couple points and I'll let this go. I am not asking for permission to consume a whey supplement; I am seeking experience and kniowledge. As I mentioned earlier, this "one guy" is not the source of the leucine recommendation. That came from several other sources and studies. Layman was the one who recommended 30 g protein per meal. While you could make a stretch and say he has a financial incentive to push protein, it is a quite a stretch compared to all of the other folks who are highly regarded here and on other paleo/primal forums. Even most, if not all, studies have to be viewed with a grain of salt once you discover who funded it. As I posted earlier, I am very fortunate to have access to pastured eggs, grain fed beef and bison, etc so that I eat high quality food at every meal. Having said that, I do get tired of eggs, beef, chicken, sardines, tuna and liverwurst so the idea of a whey shake once in a while is appealing. I especially like shredded coconut and cacao nibs with half&half as a dessert. I had an idea I could add whey supplement and create a complete meal. I did purchase some VitalWhey which is 100% organic and comes from pastured cow milk. I would say it is a pretty natural food product. I don't see the difference between separating whey from curds and separating beef liver from beef muscle. I look at this an experiment as I continue to refine my diet with an overarching goal of eating complete nutritious meals without spiking my blood glucose above 140.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 12-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Organic pastured Whey... good choice if your going to use one.

It's all about personal comfort zones and personal goals.
    There is no ONE right way to do a thing, including eat.

Have a good one!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

DetroitRemedy is offline Member
    All this protein talk makes me want to take some probiotics and some digestive enzymes.
    undigested protein. > sounds like eczema, heart disease, arthritis, asthma, and many autoimmune diseases, and even colon cancer.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRemedy View Post
    All this protein talk makes me want to take some probiotics and some digestive enzymes.
    undigested protein. > sounds like eczema, heart disease, arthritis, asthma, and many autoimmune diseases, and even colon cancer.
    Troll on brother! I think your in the wrong place to spout nonsense, but good luck .......you might trip up some poor uneducated soul. Yay you!

DetroitRemedy is offline Member
    come talk to me when you get leaky gut syndrome.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do the world a favor and hold your breath till you hear from me

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast