Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Whey Protein "PIG SLOP" page 6

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    ". And pigs are single stomached, unlike horses!

Horses do NOT have multi stomachs. Cows do! Horse's have a single stomach.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Horses do NOT have multi stomachs. Cows do! Horse's have a single stomach.
    Don't interrupt a good train wreck thread with facts. Sheesh!

But seriously, I do think the OP has a point about one thing. I think whey powders are processed foods and therefor not really Primal. I don't think the hemp and rice powders he's proposing as alternatives are any better though. Hemp powder tastes like essence of sweaty gym socks too. Blech.

I think the OP is off base about dairy IF a person can find quality dairy that is organic and from grass fed cows and raw. Each person has a different place where dairy is or isn't a problem for them. For me, high fat, fermented dairy from raw milk works fine. Some people need to make ghee out of their butter because even that much in the way of milk solids is a problem. This is an individual choice based on differing physiologies.

Personally, if I want a chunk of protein, I would eat some meat or a can of fish post workout. Whey, for me, just seems to make me hungrier than I started about two hours later. I have stopped using it altogether.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    On a side note, DurianRider is looking extra malnourished lately. Face very sunken, weakness, etc. Look at his latest videos! I don't know how much longer he can go like this.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    He has that ...."damn, my meth lab blew up again!" look.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of train wrecks lately... *looks around forum*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Don't interrupt a good train wreck thread with facts. Sheesh!

But seriously, I do think the OP has a point about one thing. I think whey powders are processed foods and therefor not really Primal. I don't think the hemp and rice powders he's proposing as alternatives are any better though. Hemp powder tastes like essence of sweaty gym socks too. Blech.

I think the OP is off base about dairy IF a person can find quality dairy that is organic and from grass fed cows and raw. Each person has a different place where dairy is or isn't a problem for them. For me, high fat, fermented dairy from raw milk works fine. Some people need to make ghee out of their butter because even that much in the way of milk solids is a problem. This is an individual choice based on differing physiologies.

Personally, if I want a chunk of protein, I would eat some meat or a can of fish post workout. Whey, for me, just seems to make me hungrier than I started about two hours later. I have stopped using it altogether.
    Interesting timing as I have just started learning about muscle protein syntheses. Just listened to the Protein101 podcast on Jimmy Moore where guest said you need 30 grams of protein per meal to initiate muscle protein synthesis. There seems to be very good agreement (at least much less controversy than you normally find on subjects of health and nutrition) that leucine is the most important amino acid in terms of muscle protein synthesis and it takes a threshold amount of 2.5 - 3 grms per meal (.05 grams/kg. body weight). Whey is by far the most concentrated source of leucine. You would have to eat 5 eggs or 40 grams of beef or poultry protein to get 3 grams of leucine compared to just a half-serving of whey.

Do you see anything wrong with supplementing per meal protein with a fractional serving of whey to kick-up leucine?
    Last edited by Artbuc; 12-02-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Do you see anything wrong with supplementing per meal protein with a fractional serving of whey to kick-up leucine?
    Well the down side is that your not getting the natural occurring fats and nutrients as you would from those 5 eggs or 40g of beef. Less volume, less fat, and less nutrients only to focus on leucine may not allow you the satiating effect associated with higher protein ingestion.

I'm not against whey completely. Hey, in a rush a whey concentrate done up in coconut milk is a pretty good meal replacement IMO. And there are also some interesting studies that whey supplement aids in immunity and antioxidation. Its just that I wouldn't be sprinkling it on my food all the time either just to bump up the leucine content. I would just eat 1.5g/protein/kg bodyweight to retain lean mass and possibly a bit more to build. All but the body builder and elite athlete crowd can accomplish getting protein requirements through whole foods. And since your eating protein that your body readily uses (instead of rice and beans) you will get the full benefit.

Varying your protein sources and eating nose to tail will give you best benefit IMO.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Just supplement leucine by itself if you are worried about it.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Just supplement leucine by itself if you are worried about it.
    Studies I read say this is very ineffective and not recommended.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Interesting timing as I have just started learning about muscle protein syntheses. Just listened to the Protein101 podcast on Jimmy Moore where guest said you need 30 grams of protein per meal to initiate muscle protein synthesis. There seems to be very good agreement (at least much less controversy than you normally find on subjects of health and nutrition) that leucine is the most important amino acid in terms of muscle protein synthesis and it takes a threshold amount of 2.5 - 3 grms per meal (.05 grams/kg. body weight). Whey is by far the most concentrated source of leucine. You would have to eat 5 eggs or 40 grams of beef or poultry protein to get 3 grams of leucine compared to just a half-serving of whey.

Was that guest of Jimmy's someone who sells protein powders for a living perchance? (honest question.)
    I agree with Neckhammer. Just eat some real food. I don't see anything wrong with powders if you honestly don't have time to eat and Neckhammer's suggestion of mixing with coconut milk is a good one. Still not really Primal though.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast