Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autoimmune thyroid disease? Help? page 2

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    marcadav, I will try to get the lab ranges for my results. I'm not on any meds: this is the first discovery that something is awry! I believe the T3 and T4 results were the 'free' levels.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    If you have a hard copy of your results the lab ranges will be next to your results. For example: Test, your result, range
    TSH 1.74 (.35-5.0)

It's a good idea to get copies of all test results. You can then compare how things change over time. You also have records handy if you change doctors or move.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If your doctor is unfamiliar with treating thyroid disease, it's imperative that you find a doctor who does treat it--and that's not easy. As another poster has noted, just getting medicated is the beginning. I'm tested every 4 months. My meds were fine during a 3-year span, and then suddenly I had to have 3 changes within the following year. So it's important to be monitored by a good doctor who understands thyroid treatment. It's also important for you to become pro-active and learn about this.

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of erroneous information on the Internet, so please don't accept everything you read as true.

I'm uneasy about the book that was previously mentioned here. The author is NOT a medical doctor, and if there's one thing I know about thyroid disease it's that when your hormones are low, there are NO supplements that can help. You need to be taking the thyroid hormones that your body is no longer producing.

As another poster mentioned, get copies of your blood work. Your T4 should be at least half of the lab range, and your T3 should be in the upper half--2/3 to 3/4. Most endos like to control the TSH to 1.0 or slightly lower.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Emmie, I hope you won't be offended (because it's not my intention to be offensive- yikes!) but if someone has positive antibodies and their Dr. is giving them meds to control their TSH and using that as the standard of care, they are not being adequately treated. That is why there are so many people with Hashimoto's who are on meds, whose lab tests are now in the normal range yet who continue to suffer hypo symptoms. They are being treated according to CW.
    The real, underlying issue is not being treated at all. That's why the book was written. I want to help spread this info because it can help so many people!

I hope you would be willing to read the book, Emmie, and show it to your doctor. I've been familiarizing myself with thyroid treatments and research for years and the info contained in the book is paradigm changing.

It's true that the author isn't a doctor- he's not an MD or an endocrinologist (which isn't saying much, since most MD's and Endo's aren't even familiar with functional blood work ranges and don't even order all the pertinent tests) but he has several degrees in nutritional science and neurology and a doctorate in neuroendocrine-immunolgy and he teaches functional endocrinology to other health professionals (including MD's). He knows his stuff.

It's so important for Hashimoto's treatment to be successful, i.e. to address the ROOT cause and stop the immune system from attacking the thyroid and mitigate the symptoms- not just manage blood scores, (which is what docs are doing when they put Hashi's patients on meds) because Hashimoto's is not a thyroid disease - it's an immune system disease and it doesn't stop at the thyroid- it can also destroy pancreas cells, gut lining, brain tissue, etc, all while you THINK it's under control because your thyroid seems to be taken care of with meds.

Can you see why I feel this info is so important? It's so much more than just the thyroid at stake. Once you have one autoimmune condition, you're at risk for more to develop, like Lupus, scleroderma, vitiligo, Sjogren's, antiphospholipid syndrome, etc. I know a number of people with Hashimoto's who do indeed have one or more coexisting autoimmune issues.

I'm going to go ahead and post the functional thyroid ranges just for reference. They are narrower than the regular ranges:

TSH: 1.8-3.0
    Total T4: 6-12
    Free T4: 1.0-1.5
    Free T3: 300-450 (or 3.-4.5)
    Resin T3 Uptake: 28-38
    Reverse T3: 90-350
    Serum TBG: 18-27
    In addition to TPO Ab tests, TBG Ab and TSH Ab tests are important, too.

Also, Hashimoto's patients need to have their TH-1 and TH-2 pathways tested to find which immune system pathway is imbalanced and dominant. Their Dr. will then be able to help them balance the immune system reactions by stimulating the opposite pathway. This works and people have had their antibody levels drop to nothing and all their symptoms disappear without being on any prescription meds. They also need to determine if there are antigens and/or haptens causing the immune reaction and deal with those.

As for people who don't have autoimmune thyroid issues, there are specific patterns of imbalance that will be indicated by the blood tests, which will help the doctor to determine how to treat the patient, because some hypothyroid is secondary to adrenal fatigue, while others are secondary to things like estrogen dominance, metabolic syndrome, hypopituitary conditions and thyroid hormone resistance/high testosterone.
    If your Doc can't tell you exactly why your thyroid isn't working right, they just haven't been properly educated. If you still have symptoms and have to keep adjusting your meds, you're not dealing with the real issues.

I just want to convey that no one should have to settle for outdated treatment that doesn't even address the real issue- the immune system. I want people to feel better and heal!

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    Thanks hazyjane, I've ordered the book. I just hope my doctor is receptive to sending me for all those tests. I suppose I should be prepared to switch doctors until I find one who will go for it. I'm moving countries in 5 weeks to complicate that matter, but while I'm in an English-speaking land, where I can at least try to convince doctors, I should try my best to get the tests done so that I can bring the results with me to Finland. Any tips on communicating with doctors (appointments here in the UK are only 10 minutes long!).

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    Also read some of the information about "celiac" disease. There is a lot of new information on how, (even if it is gluten intolerance vs. classic celiac) the body attacks itself and destroys organs... I have lost half my thyroid, my gallbladder, and was told I had hepatitis (liver inflammation) -the hepatitis magically goes away when I abstain from grains... coincidence? I think not.
    I didn't put all the pieces together until recently. I did not have good continuity of care, my docs never figured it out and said "your grain allergy is destroying you body - you are full of inflammation".... I am grain free again (about 8 weeks now) and feeling SO much better. Like a miracle. Now I just have to keep it going through the winter/holidays when I fall off the wagon every year.

Bottom line.... you are your own best health champion... read, get informed, don't be afraid to change doctors if you do not feel yours is listening.
    Good luck, and don't give up!

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Fit.... I gotta say... I'm feeling SOOOOOO much better cutting grains from my diet... amazing little tweak isn't it???

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Beauty, here is a doc who can work with you via phone and email- His name is David Peterson and he also trains other docs in the Hashimoto's protocols, so he's very knowledgeable:-)
    http://www.stlwa.com/

I'm really thinking that gluten intolerance (not just Celiac, even) is behind a whole lot of diseases and mental imbalances (my sis noticed a major diff. in her bipolar symptoms after cutting grains! And in doing research for her, I found that there is a big link between Celiac, bipolar and Hashimoto's Coincidence? I think not!)

@ Pie- I looked at your link and I don't really see what it has to do with the immune system, which is what we're talking about here. That info is maybe more pertinent to classic hypothyroidism.

pie
    pie is offline Junior Member
    Lets get real for a second here...do you think Grok would have lasted a day with tyhroid meds. Are you really going to blame all your porblems on grains. What about all the native tribes which lived of tubers and grains. Your thyroid and the majority of your health problems are related to core body temperature. I can garuantee you have low body temperature due to dieting. My best advice would be to read up on that site and quit "paleo". I just recently discovered it and its why I am posting the link everywhere because I am so excitied about how much it makes sense. I have been paleo for a year and have ignored all the problems i have experienced with it. look around this forum have the posts are health problems directly stemming from primal.
    If you want to get your life back read the posts on the blog.
    If you truely think your healthy and paleo is a godsend then continue as you are but 6 months from now when your still unhealthy check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12