Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone experienced dizziness? page

skline2 is offline Senior Member

Has anyone experienced dizziness?

Primal Fuel
    I went primal a couple of years ago. I lost 40 pounds in about 5 months and was doing body weight exercises and sprinting. Then life happened and I got sidetracked. I put 20 pounds back on. So, this week I decided to get primal again. On my drive back from Thanksgiving I ate a bunch of sugary junk and drank couple of diet Dr. Pepper's. Sunday I went completely primal. Monday morning I worked out pretty hard and Tuesday afternoon I walked. Tuesday night I woke up during the night and rolled over on to my back. The second I opened my eyes I was extremely dizzy. It was as if the whole world was spinning like crazy. I started sweating a lot and felt very nauseous. So, I closed my eyes and rolled over. The dizzy spell went away in a couple of minutes. A few minutes later I was able to walk to the bathroom with no problems. A couple of hours later the exact same thing happened. I haven't had any dizzy spells like that in my life before and I haven't one since. Although, I still don't feel right and have had some slight dizziness since, mostly at night. The first two days this week I had very few carbs. Since the dizzy spells I have had more carbs by eating a couple pieces of small fruit and/or some berries each day. The last time I did primal I was successful eating some fruit every day. I have read that going low carb can cause dizziness in the first few days or weeks of doing it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

otzi Guest
    If it keeps up more than 4 or 5 days, I'd get to the ER. May be a blood pressure or blood sugar issue. I have never really heard anyone with this particular complaint on this forum before. I have heard, and personally experienced, light-headedness upon standing when transitioning from SAD to PB during first few months, but I was also getting off BP and cholesterol meds at the time. Extreme dizzyness in middle of night while laying in bed sounds bad.

At the very least, go out and buy a blood pressure machine and home glucose tester. The also sell pulse-ox testers pretty cheap.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Is this like night sweats? Could the cortisol or other hormones be peaking at the wrong time of day?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you are getting enough salt. Could be low blood pressure.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    yes, it's the low level of carbs. some people get used to it and love it, some people get over it quick and eat the damn fruit.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    in my case, it was too little protein in my diet. I was doing .8 g per lean mass, but upped it to 1g per lean mass, and all was then well.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Drinking enough water? Getting enough sodium?

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    Update:

Went to the ER yesterday afternoon even though I wasn't feeling that bad. Could be vertigo or could be diet related. Doc said it was good that I've really only had one episode. I'm feeling much better today as they gave me something to help with the dizziness. Slept last night with no problems at all. I have been eating more carbs. I'm going to try some more salt too. I just got married recently and my wife cooks with a lot less salt than I do. We'll see what happens.

trevork is offline Junior Member
    I've had this before - Benign positional vertigo BPPV. Do some reading and the Epley moves and it could help.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skline2 View Post
    I went primal a couple of years ago. I lost 40 pounds in about 5 months and was doing body weight exercises and sprinting. Then life happened and I got sidetracked. I put 20 pounds back on. So, this week I decided to get primal again. On my drive back from Thanksgiving I ate a bunch of sugary junk and drank couple of diet Dr. Pepper's. Sunday I went completely primal. Monday morning I worked out pretty hard and Tuesday afternoon I walked. Tuesday night I woke up during the night and rolled over on to my back. The second I opened my eyes I was extremely dizzy. It was as if the whole world was spinning like crazy. I started sweating a lot and felt very nauseous. So, I closed my eyes and rolled over. The dizzy spell went away in a couple of minutes. A few minutes later I was able to walk to the bathroom with no problems. A couple of hours later the exact same thing happened. I haven't had any dizzy spells like that in my life before and I haven't one since. Although, I still don't feel right and have had some slight dizziness since, mostly at night. The first two days this week I had very few carbs. Since the dizzy spells I have had more carbs by eating a couple pieces of small fruit and/or some berries each day. The last time I did primal I was successful eating some fruit every day. I have read that going low carb can cause dizziness in the first few days or weeks of doing it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
    Classic symptoms of hypoglycemia. This is not a blood pressure issue, it is a blood glucose issue. I'm betting that although you didn't mention it, you had heart palpitations / racing pulse.

I've been there, done that, tends to correspond to fasted high intensity training. I knew that I was flirting with hypoglycemia, though, and had my quick release carbs at the ready ( orange juice ). Of course, I left said orange juice in the changing room, downstairs ... Why, you ask? Because sometimes, I'm an idiot, that's why.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast