Kata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think your trainer is just freakishly weak

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    I think your trainer is just freakishly weak
    That was my initial thought...

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    You are both benching and deadlifting a significantly larger amount of weight than you weigh. That's pretty impressive, but also somewhat easier to achieve if you are smaller. I'm 6'3 and if I hit my goal weight I'd have to be putting up over 400 lbs to match you.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I browsed the site but did not see anywhere the expected # of reps for these guidelines, what's a good start for a novice?

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

mark h is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    I browsed the site but did not see anywhere the expected # of reps for these guidelines, what's a good start for a novice?
    Seriously, did grok count how many branches he touched during his climb to escape. Or did did he say bummer, I have to tie a rock or two to my deer. It seems lighter than the last one. Just do it till you are tired then rest. If it took too long to get tired, add weight. I see too many people hurt themselves or give up due to it being too hard or too easy. If you are competing with weights, ignore what I said.
    Keep it going, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark h View Post
    Seriously, did grok count how many branches he touched during his climb to escape. Or did did he say bummer, I have to tie a rock or two to my deer. It seems lighter than the last one. Just do it till you are tired then rest. If it took too long to get tired, add weight. I see too many people hurt themselves or give up due to it being too hard or too easy. If you are competing with weights, ignore what I said.
    That's beside the point, I was looking for guidance because I've never lifted before. Now that I have acquired the basics from the primal fitness ebook, I'm moving towards weight lifting.

Can anyone point me to a good resource for beginners to determine appropriate reps & rest time?

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Look into Starting Strength.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark h View Post
    Lots of people do a lot of things grok didnt do. This whole grok thing is retarded. Some people are competitive and want to go beast mode and lift super heavy and beat people's average lifts ect..

I do a lot of things grok didnt do. But I bet I can do a lot of things he DID do better than him.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Those are 1 rep max lifts... which basically means the heaviest weight you can lift just ONCE (so you could just do it, but couldn't do a second). So that's different to choosing a weight you could lift 8-10 times.

There are numerous things you can do, really, and in CrossFit we mix it up a lot. We might do one exercise as a 5 rep max (so can't do more than 5 times)... and then rest and do it again, basically. Other times we'll do the same type of exercise but do it 21 times, or whatever (obviously with lighter weights).

Honestly, though, I just go to CrossFit and do what I'm told If I was to design a program for myself I'd probably search around for an appropriate program (Starting Strength or something maybe?!)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Those are 1 rep max lifts... which basically means the heaviest weight you can lift just ONCE (so you could just do it, but couldn't do a second). So that's different to choosing a weight you could lift 8-10 times.

There are numerous things you can do, really, and in CrossFit we mix it up a lot. We might do one exercise as a 5 rep max (so can't do more than 5 times)... and then rest and do it again, basically. Other times we'll do the same type of exercise but do it 21 times, or whatever (obviously with lighter weights).

Honestly, though, I just go to CrossFit and do what I'm told If I was to design a program for myself I'd probably search around for an appropriate program (Starting Strength or something maybe?!)
    Thanks for your answer on the 1 rep max. When I go to the gym, I'll probably try to situate myself with reasonable weights based upon reps and expected progression. Everywhere I read you're better off starting a little lower, get the form right and build confidence

Crossfit is not in my budget but since I work well on my own I'm going to research build up programs for weights and go from there!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast