Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting? page 2

williamholt is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    While many people struggle to lose weight, there are plenty of others out there who struggle to gain weight. If you want to gain muscle, you may have trouble fighting your genetic makeup but, there is something you can do about it.

PrimalGains is offline Junior Member
    Here is a good article on choosing the right training method, including "Starting Strength" and "Big 3", both effective beginner program's.

I've personally moved onto "RPT", and have found the simplicity of heavy compounds works wonders

jackwember is offline Junior Member
    weight lifting is the main topic for those who are suffering from the heavy weight. there are so many ways to reduce the weight like drink more and more water per day , eat healthy foods and fruits which gives good amount of vitamins and calcium,avoid junk foods.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Good on you for taking charge of your health at fitness! Most people don't take action until they are already overweight or otherwise unhealty, so you are way ahead of the game.

I would like to add the suggestion to check out the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book if you haven't already. You just have to sign up for the newsletter here: 7 Reasons to Sign Up for the Free Newsletter | Mark's Daily Apple
    I tried the PBF regimen as written recently and it kicked my butt, in a good way. I regularly train with barbells, but it still had me huffing and puffing since I went for max reps on every set.

I am not trying to discourage you from weight training AT ALL! You should most definitely do it. I agree with the previous posters that Starting Strength is a great program. My primary exercise is with barbells. I just wanted to present another option.

marymonster is offline Junior Member
    Thanks to everybody for the advice! I've been doing a lot of squats, deadlifts, pushups, situps, and I can almost do two chin ups! haha. I've also Incorporated sprints on Mondays.
    Last edited by marymonster; 01-25-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I'd go with the PB fitness plan unless you have someone actually training you on how to do squats and deadlifts.

Or stick to the less "technique" driven lifts. Maybe work on chins, pushup progression, and bodyweight squat progression. Seriously. If you can only do 2 chins and less than 30 pushups I see absolutely no added value in starting weight training.

Weights are not inherently harmful, but poor form is. Ask Gadsie and many others. I don't care how good a book is you can't learn proper form JUST from it. I tried to teach myself kung fu from a book when I was 10....that didn't work either.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    One can always hire someone to teach form. That's what I did. I hired a personal trainer for a couple sessions to show me the ropes. After I worked out for a month or so, I sent in some form check videos to the SS website and got some additional help.

And I'm doing weight lifting because I can't do the body weight stuff very effectively. Even after almost a year of bodyweight fitness classes I wasn't gaining very much strength at all. I can't do any pullups or chinups but I can do bench press. I can bench almost 70lbs. I started at 30lbs. I can deadlift more than I weigh and I started with 45lbs. But I can't do a frickin' pullup to save my life so why frustrate myself?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    And I'm doing weight lifting because I can't do the body weight stuff very effectively. Even after almost a year of bodyweight fitness classes I wasn't gaining very much strength at all. I can't do any pullups or chinups but I can do bench press. I can bench almost 70lbs. I started at 30lbs. I can deadlift more than I weigh and I started with 45lbs. But I can't do a frickin' pullup to save my life so why frustrate myself?
    This was me. I didn't get better at bodyweight stuff until I'd been heavy lifting for a while. I wish I had an exercise science education so I could dissect why.

CelticDog is offline Junior Member
    Only way to do a pull up or Chin up is to try to do them or reverse them. I weight lifted for months and couldn't do one it wasn't until kept trying and failing to do them every day till I actually managed one. Don't get me wrong I can only do 5 chin ups max, but that's mostly because once I could do them I lost interest.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    In this particular case...very skinny very young girl just starting in strength training.....I like BW work first.

If we change that to overweight and/or deconditioned then specific weight exercises may be a more suitable method since BW takes on a whole new meaning and some don't lend themselves as well to progressions.

But thats just very general advice. Personally I will coach my kids (or hire out if they wont listen) on correct technique. I wouldn't stick my kid in a weight room without supervision for at least a couple of months. Learn it right from the start and build on that.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-25-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast