Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I really have to give up the activities I love?? page

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member

Do I really have to give up the activities I love??

Primal Fuel
    Prior to PB, and in an effort to drop the 10-12 lbs I've gained over the last year or so, I can admit I was a chronic cardio/CW fool. I ate within my metabolic restrictions, I kickboxed 5x a week, ran/walked 3.5-4.5 miles 3-5 times a week and played 2s sand vball on weekends. I was definitely tired.

I started PB last week and recognized I would have to change-up my workouts. I decided I would drop kickboxing to 1-3 times a week, skip the running and just take a long walk 5-7 x a week, and then have my usual weekend volleyball (anywhere from 0-9 games over two days, or 7-10 games in one day if there's a tournament) - depends on availability of the other players.

I keep hearing that even this routine is "chronic cardio" and that I have to stop it. The problem is, there are things I really like. For example, the kickboxing is not all 80% intensity and up. Sometimes it is full out bursts of kicking/punching/elbowing, but much of it is also squats, lunges, pushups, crunches, weighted exercises and punching/kicking slowly but for power. My endurance and muscle tone got much better with this class.

Similary with the volleyball, the tournaments can last for 8 hours in Arizona heat but are only 10 games at most with 30 minute breaks (or longer) in between. The points are sporadic in terms of length and intensity, and there is a lot of jumping, squatting and lunging involved, along with short bursts of sprinting.

When I look at this stuff individually it seems to still fit within Marks' plan and are things I really enjoy (and great stress relievers). That said, I really don't want to mess up whatever good I am doing on the diet by over-exercising, nor do I want to add in grain-based carbs to fuel my workouts for energy.

I would love your thoughts as I am feeling a bit sad.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    If you don't show signs of over-training, keep on doing what you love. Our bodies usually tell us when they have had enough and need a break. Listen for those clues and respect the need to rest. And so, serve it up and keep kickin'!
    All just my opinion ~ there's quite a few people on here that are endurance athletes so you have some company in this arena.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    NO!

Primalize the activities up a bit, but I wouldn't give them up. Never give up your favorite type of exercise. That means maybe reduce kickboxing like you did, but still do it, instead of chronically running you can do sprints or even moderate intensity interval training, which means switching periods of running with walking, versus sprinting and rest. Volleyball continue to do if you love it, maybe not as much but don't give it up.

If you're giving up what you love for primal, you're not doing primal. The whole point is to make life better.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely not. It's all "play" if you love doing it!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalEagle, I know how you feel. When I first started PB I was shocked at the idea of curbing my daily runs. However, I ended up accidentally doing just that, simply by mixing in lots of other primal exercises into my routine. I do still enjoy a good 5-miler now and then.

My own rule of thumb for intense exercise -- as long as you're fully recovered the next morning, no problem!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    My own rule of thumb for intense exercise -- as long as you're fully recovered the next morning, no problem!
    Truth.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like pretty much all the exercise you talk about there would fit well into the primal lifestyle in moderation. Mark himself mentions playing Ultimate on the weekends, snow boarding, and paddle surfing. Even running might not be too bad for you either if you're in great shape as long as you're not going for very long distances. Going for a few mile jog when you're in shape about the same impact as someone walking who is not in the same condition.

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a great routine!

bruce.b is offline Member
    No.

KXS
    KXS is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    NO WAY! your activities sound way more 'primal' than mine..I run ultras and bike long distance and I am not giving that up! some people may say, well thats like saying you love Coke and wont give that up and hurting yourself, that this is the same thing. I say, no way.
    What I have done besides diet overhaul was add more intensity to some runs and also add weights 1x or 2x a week. I still run sometimes over 50 mpw as I love it. Your activities sounds perfect for this plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast