Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I really have to give up the activities I love?? page 2

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nah. You're fine. Not everyone's body can handle that but if you're going strong with no recovery issues then keep it up.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Brad is offline Member
    I think th PB is all about the kind of activities your talking about, and being able to do them into your 80's and 90's......

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much. You all have made me feel SO much better. As I said, while I love the activities I am currently doing, I also don't want to mess up the hard work and headway I'm making with my nutrition with the wrong exercises.

While I'm not in the shape I used to be in (1.5 years of random injuries -- broken leg, broken wrist) even my pre-PB routine was much less than I used to do (used to box 3 x a week, personal trainer twice a week, and 15-30 games of indoor and outdoor vball a week).

I thought my plan was a good compromise because the kickboxing seemed to incorporate so many of the elements Mark mentions (body resistance, strength, sprints), albiet for 50 minutes. I'm reluctant at this point to add in true strength training as I am one of those rare women who put on muscle VERY easily (have had up to 141 lbs of LBM at 5'9") and was hoping kickboxing could be the strength, and possibly sprint, components. I had no problem giving up the runs as I only did them for a CW-mindset calorie burn. I would have no problem giving up my daily 3 mile walk but that's the only thing I do that Mark obviously recommends so I will keep it.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member
    My only other question is, for those of you who do endurance sports, do you follow the "PB for athletes" mentality and add in complex carbs pre or post activity? I had a vball tourney this past weekend and had some energy issues and some immediate weight gain from adding in extra trail mix/dried fruit and bananas, which I only added for some energy help and to ward off cramps. I don't want to have to add in grain-based carbs if I don't have to. I'm hoping that once I'm a few weeks in I should be able to get through tournaments without adding in other carbs and am wondering what your experiences were. Maybe I should make those primal energy bars/balls.
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

ironwerks is offline Junior Member
    I am so glad I stumbled onto this thread. I was having the same thoughts questions. Thank you.

kungfumike is offline Senior Member
    Seems to me kickboxing could be considered play

atmrun is offline Junior Member
    PrimalEagle thank you so much for your post. I have been concerned about the same thing. I tried to cut down my kickboxing/MMA workouts to 3 days a week instead of 5 and I think I felt more stressed. My kickboxing/MMA workouts are stress relievers for me and I really look forward to them. Thanks to all for making me realize that my workouts can be considered fun. As for my runs, I have cut them down quite a bit as well. I'm training form the Army 10 miler and usually do at least 2 days of longer runs (7-12 miles) a week. I haven't really done those in a while. I have been focusing on intervals on my runs. The Body for Life program has a good 20 minute interval workout I have been doing for my runs. Hopefully the kickboxing will keep my endurance up.

Can anyone comment on cutting out long runs and still being able to do a 10miler race?

Also, I have added drinking coconut water as my electrolyte replacement of choice. It's natural and has more potassium and electrolytes than other sports drinks.

SCDgirl is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I am not an expert but I can say for me, I have NO plans to cut out my long runs. Ever. If anything, they are better now as whereas before I relied on gatorade, gels, etc this way of eating makes the long runs easier. I run on water, bananas and larabars. And I do races up to 50 and the occasional 100 miles.
    There is so much good about the PB but I dont believe in the 'chronic cardio' as long as you throw some resistance/weights in there, keep doing what you love. OK maybe you used to love brownies, or Coke...and that is not good for you. I cant see how any sort of physical exercise that you love is bad for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12