Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Eat Fat, Lose Fat page 6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't know why anyone would eat oats (aka horse fodder) when they could have eggs.
    Maybe because they think that eggs are fox fodder?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Most people find this weird, but I eat fish for breakfast.
    oh, thank god i'm not alone. do this almost every day!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    oh, thank god i'm not alone. do this almost every day!
    I also enjoy eating fish for breakfast, because I can.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

This reminds me, I should cure some gravlax for the holiday season. Nice to bring out for open house, nice to nosh on any time, breakfast or other...

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Gravlax with scrambled eggs ... awesome.

Currently enjoying this with red onion and asparagus fried in extra virgin olive oil.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The inconsistency I see in the EFLF book is that they are all about the good fats and ketosis yet still hold on to the grains like the morning oatmeal. Yes, soaking it makes it more benign in terms of anti-nutrient content but it doesn't make it more nutritious or reduce the carbs. I would rather "spend" my calories on something that is nutritionally more dense than oatmeal, like eggs.

I am incorporating the coconut products more in my diet but keeping the focus on ketosis. I don't know why anyone would eat oats (aka horse fodder) when they could have eggs.
    It's funny, the first time I read up on WAPF (about 6 years ago) my take-away message was RAW MILK!!11!!1!. Now, when I read Fallon and Enig and etc. I see that it is more nuanced, but the nuances aren't very clear. They kinda sorta say that grains aren't necessary, and you should avoid them to lose weight, but then go on to have a "feature story" about a lady who says that she found oats more filling than bacon & eggs. Which all seems to be explained in a brief sentence which attributes that wondrous observation to the fact that the oats are soaked. Huh?

That being said, DH and I watched a Youtube video of Fallon a few months ago, and she talked about the sourdough bread in the Swiss village. Husband is still asking me about that, you know, in that roundabout way that tells me that he is constantly thinking about it. Maybe it's because he has Swiss ancestry, so sourdough bread is in his DNA? Or, he could just be still addicted to carbs.

I could sub out the oatmeal for eggs, but then I would have to hide the book from the Mr. Otherwise, he'll worry about deviating from the sound and incontrovertible advice of a nutritionist.

Two fried eggs are about 180 cals., which works out to be about the same. And, yes, with more nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake
    How does hubby feel about fish?
    Husband hates fish. And, despite being Dutch, hates pickled herring with a passion. Makes for some awkward moments when friends think they have presented him with a great gift. Great idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi
    Because those gooey oats soak up the margarine, brown sugar, and Mrs. Butterworth's Maple Syrup so nicely! If you get instant oatmeal with imitation apple chunks, it's kinda like a serving of fruit!
    Yes, if you throw all that stuff on top of oatmeal it all magically becomes healthy! Duh!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Because those gooey oats soak up the margarine, brown sugar, and Mrs. Butterworth's Maple Syrup so nicely! If you get instant oatmeal with imitation apple chunks, it's kinda like a serving of fruit!
    Ewwwwwww.
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I also enjoy eating fish for breakfast, because I can.
    I like lox and kippers especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    I could sub out the oatmeal for eggs, but then I would have to hide the book from the Mr. Otherwise, he'll worry about deviating from the sound and incontrovertible advice of a nutritionist.

Two fried eggs are about 180 cals., which works out to be about the same. And, yes, with more nutrition.

Yes, if you throw all that stuff on top of oatmeal it all magically becomes healthy! Duh!
    Hah! Yes, I adore the WAPF and all their good works but they contort themselves in knots to find ways that grain is not harmful to you e.g. sprouting, soaking, fermenting. If you have to go to all that trouble to make something edible, I say, why bother? Just eat something that is good for you as is.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    It depends on how "instant" you need the energy though. So even if high fat foods such as pemmican is an excellent source for energy in a cold climate, and to be preferred on a polar expedition, why does not marathon skiers and others use it when competing in cold climates then? Because fat is “low octane”, it doesn’t burn fast enough and it also takes longer time to digest and get into the system than a lukewarm sugar drink when doing high intensity work...
    I've been bringing pemmican on backpack trips. It is not cold on my backpack trips. I find it gives me really steady, long-lasting energy. It's not the only thing I eat, but on my last trip it was an ingredient in every meal. Seems to provide the absolute best energy of any food I've ever tried.

I backpacked 3000 miles on high carb food and it just didn't work nearly as well. I lost strength, speed and energy although I still had plenty of endurance and stamina to push myself hard. With the pemmican I feel even-keeled. I'd love to try it on a 500 mile trip for a proper comparison to a 3000 mile trip without it.

As far as the Eat Fat and Grow Slim book, the point that is made over and over in that book is that there are differences among people. Some are constant-weight people who don't have any reaction to carbohydrates. Others are fatten-easily people who do. The low carb diet helps the fatten-easily people. It makes no difference for constant-weight people. Maybe it doesn't help every single fatten-easily person (like gopintos) but it helps many of them because it corrects a metabolic vicious circle. Believe me, I've been caught in that vicious circle and know what it feels like. Nothing else I tried broke me out of it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've been bringing pemmican on backpack trips. It is not cold on my backpack trips. I find it gives me really steady, long-lasting energy. It's not the only thing I eat, but on my last trip it was an ingredient in every meal. Seems to provide the absolute best energy of any food I've ever tried.

I backpacked 3000 miles on high carb food and it just didn't work nearly as well. I lost strength, speed and energy although I still had plenty of endurance and stamina to push myself hard. With the pemmican I feel even-keeled. I'd love to try it on a 500 mile trip for a proper comparison to a 3000 mile trip without it.
    Pemmican also have lots of protein and is a much more complete food compared to high carb foods. If I had to chose between high carb/low protein and high fat/high protein or even high fat/moderate protein on a backpack hike, I would definitely go for the latter two options, so Pemmican or similar kind of foods are not a bad choice at all for that kind of activity. But if running a marathon competing against other people, I would load up on heaps of pasta and starches the days before the contest and take simple sugar carbohydrates when racing. I am glad that I am not a marathon guy though...

poindexterpaul is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Rosemary,
    Thanks for checking out my blog, you’ve come to the right place if your looking for a way to eat fat lose fat – Lose fat while still enjoying the foods you love....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456