Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat Fat, Lose Fat page 2

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Coconut oil has made a big difference for me too. Any slump I feel can be instantly cured with a spoon of coconut oil. My hubby was grossed out seeing me munch on it the day before yesterday LOL. Weight loss has continued, despite me getting close to being too thin for my age now. I am eating a lot of fat. Olive oil stored as fat?? interesting... I should check it out at Chapters.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    TL;DR - consumed sugar and carbs get stored as fat; consumed fat gets burned as energy.

Oversimplification?
    Not at all!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Coconut oil has made a big difference for me too. Any slump I feel can be instantly cured with a spoon of coconut oil. My hubby was grossed out seeing me munch on it the day before yesterday LOL.
    I havent done that yet, though I do put it in my coffee on the days that I think I will be fasting. But I do use it almost exclusively now for other stuff.

I read somewhere.... and I dont even know how to word it. Something about counting the calories, or maybe the grams of fat... that with Coconut oil you really only need to count about half of it? I can't remember now exactly what it was, or why, but it was a good thing, I do remember that
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Fat doesn't get stored but burned as energy? Nonsense. If you overeat, anything extra will be stored as fat.

And why should olive oil be any different from any other oil in terms of fat storage?

I am very skeptical about all these claims for coconut oil because all it did for me was raise my LDL 50 points in 4 months. Stopped it, and my LDL went down those same 50 points. My cardiologist tells me that it doesn't matter whether it was Pattern A or not, elevated LDL is always a cause for concern.

I've watched the enthusiasm for CO take off across the Internet, but I remain healthy without using it.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Fat doesn't get stored but burned as energy? Nonsense. If you overeat, anything extra will be stored as fat.

And why should olive oil be any different from any other oil in terms of fat storage?

I am very skeptical about all these claims for coconut oil because all it did for me was raise my LDL 50 points in 4 months. Stopped it, and my LDL went down those same 50 points. My cardiologist tells me that it doesn't matter whether it was Pattern A or not, elevated LDL is always a cause for concern.

I've watched the enthusiasm for CO tgake off across the Internet, but I remain healthy without using it.
    emmie, did you reduce your total fat consumption or did you just replace coconut oil with other fats? What % of your calories come from fat and what type of fats do you eat? I am asking because I am curious if coconut oil has a unique propensity to increase LDL-C. Unsweetened shredded coconut has become my favorite staple and I wonder what it is doing to my cholesterol. Thanks.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    "The first thing to realise is that it is carbohydrate (starch and sugar) and carbohydrate only which fattens fat people."

Some call it a gem. I'll call it what it is: bullshit.

Weight is entirely calorically driven. If you can't lose weight following CICO, it's almost certainly because you miscalculated your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) or you aren't measuring your caloric intake rigorously enough.

When you eat carbohydrate, it isn't carbohydrate that is stored as fat. It's the dietary fat you eat along with it. When you overeat steak and potatoes, the potatoes make your insulin rise and you store the excess fat in the steak as fat. It's almost always dietary fat being stored since the way carbs are stored as fat is by the extremely inefficient de novo lipogenesis process. The average American DOES NOT eat a high carbohydrate diet. They get 30-40% of their dietary calories through dietary fat. They eat a high calorie diet. They drink far too many calories, eat far too many flour products (which do next to nothing for satiety) and everything is fried - added oil (usually of poor quality) that does nothing but add calories with little to no positive nutrition or satiety.

Eat actual food. I don't care if it's seared ribeye and avocado or steamed chicken breast and a baked potato. Real food is nutritious, it keeps you full and your body knows what it is. It doesn't recognized Coke and taquitos as food.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    "The first thing to realise is that it is carbohydrate (starch and sugar) and carbohydrate only which fattens fat people."

Some call it a gem. I'll call it what it is: bullshit.
    precisely. it's a shame that this warped pseudo-scientific statement is still made by ANYONE.

otzi Guest
    How timely! The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Are carbohydrates fattening? » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

"And it’s pretty clear that going off the low-carb diet will result in more weight gain than going off of a low-fat diet. Which would have to at least imply that carbohydrates are more fattening than are fat and protein. We can see from the length of this second follow-up – four years – we’re not talking about the immediate water gain that comes from going off a low-carb diet for just a few days, but the long-term weight gain."

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    How timely! The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Are carbohydrates fattening? » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

"And it’s pretty clear that going off the low-carb diet will result in more weight gain than going off of a low-fat diet. Which would have to at least imply that carbohydrates are more fattening than are fat and protein. We can see from the length of this second follow-up – four years – we’re not talking about the immediate water gain that comes from going off a low-carb diet for just a few days, but the long-term weight gain."
    This is positively false, what the good doctor should have stated is that many people tend to overeat and binging on processed carbs, not to insinuate that carbs as such are inherently more fattening, which is not correct by no means…

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post

Replying solely to this quote without reading the entire article, all this states is that the type of carbohydrate suggested promotes the intake of more calories than the type of fat mentioned.

Obviously, eggs are going to be more filling than pasta. You're going to consume more calories with a pasta staple than an egg staple.

Obviously, steak is going to keep you fuller longer than mangoes. You're also going to have a superior body composition on a steak-heavy diet than a mango-heavy diet thanks to the anabolic nature of animal protein, saturated fat and cholesterol.

But please, take aged filet mignon salted just right and seared in grassfed butter and compare that to plain boiled white potatoes without a shred of seasoning. Now give yourself an unlimited supply of each and see which you consume more of. You're going to lose a ton more weight on the boiled potato approach. You may not like the composition you get at the end of it, but damn it if that luscious steak isn't more fattening!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast