Thread: V8 page

Animus is offline Junior Member

V8

Shop Now
    What's the Primal take on V8?

I looked over the ingredients, and didn't really notice anything that looked synthetic or unnatural.

Then again, it is a mass-produced product, so that's why I ask.

I like to drink a cup here and there to get a quick vegetable fix in addition to a meal if I'm on the go.

And I'd like to keep doing that, but just want to make sure it's all good!

Thanks!

Edge is offline Member
    Lots of salt? And for me, the low sodium stuff is ick.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    It'd be wise to either make your own at home, or buy a whole foods organic juice product.

That stuff is complete crap, and the cans most definitely leak chemicals into the liquid. Not really sure what the primal take on it is, but that's my opinion.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

bro0kiebaby is offline Member
    way too many carbs too as I recall- skip it and eat the actual vegi/fruit instead if you can

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Haha completely forgot to suggest eating it, but if you're going to drink something then make your own (which you would have to drink quickly because of oxidation) or buy a good quality one from the health food store

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    The sugars are suspiciously high; tomatoes, an inflammatory nightshade, are the main "vegetable"; your sodium budget is better spent on meats. And then there are the mystery factors that EGY noted. I have been tempted to get my phytonutrient fix from these in the past, but reading the label is enough to make me hold out for the real thing.

Well, I've been buying the bottles - as I'm well aware of can related issues - but the notes mentioned by others has me believing it's not so great in general.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    The sugars are suspiciously high; tomatoes, an inflammatory nightshade, are the main "vegetable"; your sodium budget is better spent on meats. And then there are the mystery factors that EGY noted. I have been tempted to get my phytonutrient fix from these in the past, but reading the label is enough to make me hold out for the real thing.
    Wait, I understand the Sodium bit, but what is wrong with tomatoes? I thought that really depends on whether or not your system takes well to them.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Animus, tomatoes and nightshades in general are a bit of a grey area in the primal diet. They weren't in Grok's diet, but they're certainly not as dangerous as grains or sugar. The problem with them is inflammatory alkaloids. Some people either don't notice or don't experience the effect, but some people who eat very primally (like Tarlach) claim that they can actually feel the effect on their joints when they eat them.

As for me, I never cared for them so I don't mind giving them a pass.

Here is Mark's in-depth take on the issue:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nightshades/