Thread: Post bone-broth chicken bones for dog? page

carlh is offline Senior Member

Post bone-broth chicken bones for dog?

Primal Fuel
    So I made yet another batch of awesome bone broth, this time with three chicken carasses. As usual when I strain the broth out I'm left with a big pile of super-soft bones and little bits of meat. I'm accustomed to picking through this and nibbling at the bits of meat and then chucking the bones. Good stuff.

But now I'm wondering, concerning how soft the bones are (easily crumbled with my fingers), if it would be okay to grind the stuff in my food processor and give to my dog - a little bit at a time to make sure it doesn't upset her delicate German Shepherd constitution. It should be fine, right?

Failing that, what do YOU do with leftover bones from bone broth? I'm all aboard on picking out leftover meat.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Not an expert but don't think there is any benefit to feeding a dog that is on a well balanced diet some bones that have had most of their goodness leached out of them. Your dog would be much happier if you gave it one of the raw marrow bones, perhaps with some of the marrow removed for a delicate tummy
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Grinding and adding to your soil if you are growing produce would probably be good. Ash is good for soil, right? It helps to aerate it, I think.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I grind all my leftover broth making goodies and put it on my dogs food. Dogs can't handle chicken bones cuz they are too brittle and they can easily choke on them - but after they have been boiled down and softened they can easily be munched up in the food processor - or, I use a emersion blender - I put it all the fridge with a clearly mark "Zeus Gew" label (so no one thinks its people food) - then warm up about 1/4 cup and pour it over his dry dog food. He loves it! and if I don't have any Gew to put on his food - he refuses to eat!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I've fed it to my dogs (rat terrier and corgi). It didn't seem to upset their stomachs then again they will eat anything, even if it is predigested if you know what I mean.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I grind all my leftover broth making goodies and put it on my dogs food. Dogs can't handle chicken bones cuz they are too brittle and they can easily choke on them - but after they have been boiled down and softened they can easily be munched up in the food processor - or, I use a emersion blender - I put it all the fridge with a clearly mark "Zeus Gew" label (so no one thinks its people food) - then warm up about 1/4 cup and pour it over his dry dog food. He loves it! and if I don't have any Gew to put on his food - he refuses to eat!
    I do the same thing - I have big sled dogs - 2 malamutes and a husky/wolf. They love the stuff and I also have one who will not eat his kibble w/o some gravy. I used to think it was the food (beware- many lamb & rice foods are packed with corn, corn gluten, corn byproducts, essentially lots of corn even though the first 2 ingredients are lamb and rice), but I now feed them Blue - Salmon grain free and he still has a 'tude. Spoiled dogs!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, that is all cool to know. I mean it sounds reasonable but you never want to take too big a risk with your furry friends. I'll give it a go and see what happens! We have a fairly robust, beat up food processor that I'm sure will make short work of these crumbly wet bones.