Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: drinking water page 4

cookie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    It's ridiculous? No. It's true. I don't like straight water. I haven't been conned, I don't prefer one type of straight water over another, I don't have any reluctance to use tap water for cooking or preparing drinks. I just don't like the taste of plain water. I've sampled it from all over North America, everywhere from municipal water supplies in Florida to straight out of streams in Alaska, and it is not something I want to drink unless I have absolutely no other choice.

And, since I am in the First World, I do have a choice.
    +1

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Someone who doesn't like the taste of water should invest in some good-quality tea leaves and learn how to properly make a good cup and drink that.

Non-caloric, yummy tasting beverage with a variety of health benefits that still hydrates you for the most part.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandamel View Post
    I have heard that some people who "don't like water" are simply drinking it at the wrong temperature. Could be crazy, but perhaps it's worth having a cup of hot water just to see how that goes? I'm in a coooold climate so in the winter I prefer my water hot and in a mug. In the summer, I usually drink room-temperature. I dislike cold water and ice!
    As a kid my mum would buy me pure fruit juice all the time. I lived on orange juice, mango juice, apple juice etc. I never, ever drank water. When my mum had more kids she couldn't afford to buy pure juice all the time, so she started buying concentrate to dilute with water. I hated it for a long time but eventually I adjusted. Some days there was no concentrate left in the house so I would add sugar or jam to water. If I couldn't find sugar or jam I wouldn't drink any water at all, even when I was thirsty.

At some point I, as a teenager, I realised that requiring lots of sugar for me to drink water was flat out retarded. I cut it out completely and started drinking plain water. I hated the taste (or lack of taste) for a long time, but eventually I got used to it. I don't drink fruit juice, soda or milk ever now. I still don't drink water for pleasure, but I drink it none the less. I prefer warm or hot water.

Point is, if you don't like water, you are spoilt. Spoilt by nice tasting things, which may be fine. But depending on what those nice tasting things are (like fruit juice or even regular milk), drinking those at the exclusion of water, I have to wonder why you are on a forum which is for improving health.

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    As a kid my mum would buy me pure fruit juice all the time. I lived on orange juice, mango juice, apple juice etc. I never, ever drank water. When my mum had more kids she couldn't afford to buy pure juice all the time, so she started buying concentrate to dilute with water. I hated it for a long time but eventually I adjusted. Some days there was no concentrate left in the house so I would add sugar or jam to water. If I couldn't find sugar or jam I wouldn't drink any water at all, even when I was thirsty.

At some point I, as a teenager, I realised that requiring lots of sugar for me to drink water was flat out retarded. I cut it out completely and started drinking plain water. I hated the taste (or lack of taste) for a long time, but eventually I got used to it. I don't drink fruit juice, soda or milk ever now. I still don't drink water for pleasure, but I drink it none the less. I prefer warm or hot water.

Point is, if you don't like water, you are spoilt. Spoilt by nice tasting things, which may be fine. But depending on what those nice tasting things are (like fruit juice or even regular milk), drinking those at the exclusion of water, I have to wonder why you are on a forum which is for improving health.
    woah, i really feel like i'm being attacked here. and i feel like others who are responding are being attacked as well.

i don't drink any other liquids, with the exception of coffee in the morning. i dislike juice. i dislike soda. i don't want it instead of water.
    i drink water, and that's it. i just don't crave or chug it.

this forum used to be a place for help. are you guys new or something? maybe you don't understand how this is supposed to work.

and it's "spoiled" NOT "spoilt", if we're going to be persnickety here.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    and it's "spoiled" NOT "spoilt", if we're going to be persnickety here.
    It's both. American English isn't the only form of english.
    spoilt - definition of spoilt by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I prefer plain water over anything else, so can't help on that. I agree with the others on just drinking it regardless, or the flavorings if you really need to.

Zach is offline Banned
    AMonkey, how was your health on fruit juice, concentrate and water?

Cookie, dont worry about it. People get these dogmas stuck in their head and anything that tests their beliefs gets them riled up. You absolutely dont need plain water to be healthy and yea drinking a good amount of fluids will dilute stomach acid so when eating, keep the fluids to just sips. I remember reading some strongman books from the 1890s-1910s and even then they knew this. Actually they knew quite a bit.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Well, for most of history, drinking water was unsafe. There were too many contaminants in drinking water (think London before 20th century) and people got truly horrible water-borne illnesses from drinking just water alone. It wasn't until the writer supply was filtered and rendered safe for drinking and water bottling companies began their marketing campaign to get us to drink 8 glasses a day that people drank more water. Previously people drank liquids that were resistant against contamination like teas (with boiled water) meads, ales, wines, and milk.

I can't understand not liking water myself but really, it's that that unnatural not to drink it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

thanks for saying so, Zach. you're right, i think i got AMonkey riled up. now he is throwing poop at me through his cage.
    jk.
    anyhow, i would love to read some of these books, i will research info online! this is just what i was looking for. thank you!

interesting, damiana. i didn't really think about potential contaminates etc keeping us from naturally drinking (chugging) water. i'll try not to let this be an excuse for me to stop drinking it

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Well, for most of history, drinking water was unsafe. There were too many contaminants in drinking water (think London before 20th century) and people got truly horrible water-borne illnesses from drinking just water alone. It wasn't until the writer supply was filtered and rendered safe for drinking and water bottling companies began their marketing campaign to get us to drink 8 glasses a day that people drank more water. Previously people drank liquids that were resistant against contamination like teas (with boiled water) meads, ales, wines, and milk.

I can't understand not liking water myself but really, it's that that unnatural not to drink it.
    Good point and why is referenced drinking beer for fluids. In this day and age with the 8 glasses of water a day dogma, people dont even really think about why they are drinking water. If you are sedentary you will need very little and if you are doing strenuous exercise, water can actually be detrimental if you dont add some electrolytes.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    thanks for saying so, Zach. you're right, i think i got AMonkey riled up. now he is throwing poop at me through his cage.
    jk.
    anyhow, i would love to read some of these books, i will research info online! this is just what i was looking for. thank you!
    Check out the website Sandowplus.co.uk it has tons of old strongman books for free. Some of my favorites are Edward Aston, Thomas Inch and Arthur Saxon. Read Saxons book "The development of physical Power". My favorite read.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast