Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting over yet again (Tricia) page 2

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Tricia, dont worry about it. All thats happened is you have learnt a way that does not necesserily work for you with regards, eating, exercise, lifestyle AND giving up smoking. The working combination is not a million miles away. You just need to tweak things and try again. Why dont you type up your ideas for eating and exercise. These dont have to be rigid 'I must stick to this' rules, they are guidlines. From there you can assess it yourself, and get help from others.

Try it.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Tricia is offline Senior Member
    ^^ thanks! That's good advice. I need to get my priorities in order. Number one is obviously to quit smoking. As long as I'm poisoning myself actively (as opposed to involuntarily, hah!), there's not even any point in all those little dietary tweaks. I think staying active/going outside should be the second thing on my list. Especially at this time of the year, with finals/more papers coming up, I tend to lock myself in the house and transform into a little ball wrapped in a blanket. And while that may seem cozy and relaxing, it's not what's best for my mood and stress levels. Going outside into the cold and taking a walk (as I just did on my way home from class down town), IS! I'm not sure what else I should do at this point in regards to exercise. I can't afford going to a gym and while I don't want to be a wuss, I would like to postpone another attempt at running those 5K until spring. I can do strength exercises at home of course (there is that 100 push up program) but I'm a bit unsure about that, since I seem to always hurt myself when I give that a go. Like how do people warm up for that? Like just jump around for a certain period of time? Maybe I need a new workout video that I can do, as opposed to the ones I have, that I can no longer do.
    Food wise, I suppose I should just focus on simple, home cooked food while I have the perfect opportunity (ie not bagging lunches) to do that. As long as I don't let any outright junk food/takeout/soda/sugary snacks creep their way back in there, I'm calling that a victory.
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
    When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Hey, just popping in to say I'm actually doing quite well, though I don't have time to post here regularly... Also after my last slip up, I didn't want to post again until I was back where I was that time (1 week smoke free), which I am now! I'm making a record (with pics!) of food-wins, so I'll post that sometime soon. Other than that, it's hit the books for me! I'm just happy if I can get outside the house at least once a day. This round of exams is the hardest it's ever been, but I'm managing my stress levels
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw

LizNC is offline Junior Member
    Good for you! My struggle is with alcohol and not cigarettes, but I do understand addiction I also understand graduate school stress, I am also in graduate school and work full-time = we have a lot of stress, little free time, and thus we need strong coping skills. Good luck on your exams!

Tnx!

Finally those exams are over! I started out great, but then got very, very sick (a bad sinus infection that spread to my ears, which made it feel like my head was full of battery acid or something), which meant I had to reschedule 4 of my 5 exams in the last week. I ended up failing at least one (I'm pretty sure it's just the one, but you never know...), which means now I definitely won't be graduating this july, as planned, but only mid-september (because I have to take the exam over), which sucks!!!

Thankfully, there's good news too: I haven't smoked since new year's and finally feel like I've kicked that for good! It's kind of hard to want to smoke when you're that sick, but I still think it counts as an achievement
    Tried hard to stay primal (the boy helped out a lot with the cooking <3) but between the being sick and the stress - oh, the stress - I had at least twice as many binge days as I had half way decent days, so much so that every time I even thought about stepping on the scale after that month I nearly got an anxiety attack... So I didn't and still haven't. I figure if it's really that scary/horrible for me, I should just throw it out. Well I didn't throw it out but it's hidden beneath a bathroom closet. My jeans still fit so it can't be that dramatic, and I'm just so sick of letting a machine decide wether I get to be happy or miserable every morning.
    So I'm back to just taking it day by day. I set up a Lifetick tracker so I get to tick one every time I have a perfect food day. I'd like to see if I can get to 100... (gotta get those numbers in somewhere ) Maybe after that I'll weigh myself. Though I have an assortment of different sized jeans that could just as well serve as a measuring device...

I'm feeling a lot better now that I'm up and about again and ready to dive in primal style. I just dragged so much groceries to our house on my bicycle that I couldn't even ride it home, had to drag it all the way here hehe. Not that silly though when you consider all that was left in our freezer were chick peas and surimi sticks (<= I don't eat that).

Oh, another totally random thing that I've been wanting to share for ages but keep forgetting about (I'm reminded now because I'm having some and it's soooo good!): faileo lemonade!
    Since water can be boring sometimes and I hate tea with a passion, I invented this lemonade for when I want something with a bit of zing:

- juice of 2 limes
    - 2 teaspoons of stevia powder
    - 1L (or whatever's in a large bottle) of sparkling water
    - that's it!

What you end up with looks like soapy water with bits in it (from the lime), sorry... but it's so refreshing and not at all too sweet (if it is, use less stevia). Also it makes you ask all new kinds of questions about commercial soft drinks since they don't look like that at all... hmmz...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12