Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else been diagnosed with H. Pylori ? page

TARNIP is offline Senior Member

Has anyone else been diagnosed with H. Pylori ?

Primal Fuel
    I have just been diagnosed as I have been suffering with chronic stomach pains for a very long time. I have just been put on the 3 step system to get rid of it and even going Primal hadn't helped me a great deal with my gut issues. I am currently bloating and in pain when I eat pretty much anything.
    The only thing I am managing to keep down whilst remaining pain free are meal replacement shakes and water :-( I would really appreciate any dietary advice from anyone that has suffered with the H.Pylori bacteria and has managed to get rid of it or reduce symptoms dramatically. It appears I may have had it for many, many years undiagnosed and had been thrown in the 'you have IBS' basket.
    Doc also believes I may have stomach ulcers from having it for so long too, yet to be tested for that though.......

If anyone has any info on this at all (including natural treatments) I would be sooooo grateful for your input :-)

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried straight bone broths yet? If you can hold down water, it SHOULD be ok I would imagine... And as things get better you can slowly add in some well-boiled veggies to the broth and eventually, some meat. But for right now, just make the broth with bone and veggies and drink it straight (remove any vegetable particles).

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    What's the 3 step system? I hope it involves a lot of acidophilus.
    Ed W. Age:35 Height: 6'4"
    SW: 289 (1/1/12) CW: 195 (11/1/12) GW: < 200 (Hit 198 on 10/3/12) Now onto body comp.

No I haven't tried the bone broths yet Drumroll, I really should get onto doing that as I have read how good it is for all kinds of digestive issues. Will be putting that at the top of my list of things to do. I think i will be able to tolerate a clear broth at the moment but as you said I will definately wait a while before adding the meat and veg :-)

Um unfortunately not Unique TII :-( I have had to get a doc to finally diagnose it after 20 years of pain and discomfort! The 3 step system for the H.Pylori is Nexium (to reduce stomach acid so the following 2 antibiotics can better do their job), Amoxil and Klacid.
    I HATE taking antibiotics and always refuse them but I am going to take these ones as from what I have read they kill the bacteria much more quickly than natural remedies. I will however be taking extra probiotics after this one week course :-) Not to mention some hefty doses of coconut oil.........

Zach is offline Banned
    I was recently diagnosed with H. Pylori as well, i had some digestive issues and stomach pain. I also believe i have had it for a long time and it was greatly aggravated by my old diet high in fat.

You are right to take the antibiotics. The bacteria is a stubborn one to get rid of and there are no studies showing that alternatives are effective at eradicating it. I do have some helpful advice though!

Eat a low fat, low fiber diet from now until you are done with the meds. I would stick to fruits, low fat dairy and a bit of veg, starch. Eat a daily dose of acidophilus in the form of yoghurt. Make sure your Vitamin C intake is high. Also coconut oil and manuka honey have had positive results for some people so it does not hurt to get a bit of both in everyday. The most important thing you can do though is be diligent about the antibiotics, take them every 12 hours at the same time and do not miss a dose. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids.

I wish you well and hope the anti's work for you!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I was quite a few years ago. Did the triple therapy antibiotic/antacid treatment and it worked very well. No more problems for years. Damage was caused though. My duodenum is scarred and ulcered from it. Going primal really aggravated it a lot.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply Zach :-) I had wondered why I felt much worse when I ate fats. Here I was thinking it was due to the carb/fat transition and I was trying to put up with it. That may be why I haven't had a huge amount of success with Primal yet as I when I cut most of the carbs I added in quite a bit of fat! Thank you so much for your nutritional tips, I will definately be following your advice, your an angel! Now that you have got rid of the H.Pylori have you increased the fats in your diet or are you still following a low fat/low fibre eating plan?

That is great to hear that the antibiotic therapy worked well for you Silvergirl :-) My doctor also believes I may have ulcers due to having taken so long to be diagnosed, with the symptoms getting worse year by year. It is now at the point where I get ill when I eat just about anything. You say that going Primal aggrivated it alot, was that due to you having a higher fat intake do you think? What nutritional guidelines are you currently following? Are you now able to eat foods and remain relatively symptom free even though you have permanent damage?

The thought of not having a sore, distended tummy after everything I eat makes me feel elated, so I am really hoping these antibiotics kill the little buggers!
    Last edited by TARNIP; 11-29-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes i am able to basically eat whatever i want with no ill effects. Excess muscle meat and fat do still give me inflammation so i keep them down and dairy and carbs high. Also i do keep a relatively low fiber diet because its just how i end up eating. Seems the better i digest, the better i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yes i am able to basically eat whatever i want with no ill effects. Excess muscle meat and fat do still give me inflammation so i keep them down and dairy and carbs high. Also i do keep a relatively low fiber diet because its just how i end up eating. Seems the better i digest, the better i feel.
    Thank you so much for your input. I will definately be putting your advice in practice :-)

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    That is great to hear that the antibiotic therapy worked well for you Silvergirl :-) My doctor also believes I may have ulcers due to having taken so long to be diagnosed, with the symptoms getting worse year by year. It is now at the point where I get ill when I eat just about anything. You say that going Primal aggrivated it alot, was that due to you having a higher fat intake do you think? What nutritional guidelines are you currently following? Are you now able to eat foods and remain relatively symptom free even though you have permanent damage?

The thought of not having a sore, distended tummy after everything I eat makes me feel elated, so I am really hoping these antibiotics kill the little buggers!
    I think starting the diet so different from carb. loaded, really shocked my system. I started to get severe pain in my chest/gut. Doc. sent me for a fluoroscopy which showed extensive damage and current severely irritated duodenal ulcer. It had started to calm down by the time I went for the fluoroscopy too. Everything got worse when I started a whole30. I gave up all grains/legumes/ plus dairy and eggs. What made it worse for me I think is that I ate a lot of nuts because I made Mark's blueberry nut bars. I have now found I have not only a strong dairy and egg allergy, but also off the charts for almonds and blueberries. So I am sure this caused a lot of my problems. I am still struggling somewhat. Just about to go back onto stronger medication to give everything chance to heal. I think a lot of my issues have stemmed from allergies, irritating my whole system.

Before the triple therapy I used to get very strong IBS. Even landed me in the hospital once. The IBS pretty much went away altogether )
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast