Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: creatine page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

creatine

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has anyone experimented with creatine? I am thinking of giving it a go. haven't seen any research saying its harmful in anyway, except the odd person having explosive diareha .

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Some people get kidney stones if they don't drink enough water, and if you use a certain type it can lead to bloating. I've used creatine hydrochloride and it worked pretty well. GNC sells it and it's called amplified creatine, you take a tiny amount compared to usual dosages. I found that I could work out harder, and longer, and recover quicker. I haven't used the stuff for about a year though. I figure Grok wouldn't have used it, so I probably shouldn't either. When I did, I felt like I needed it or my workout wasn't worth as much, and I don't like that dependence.

It probably won't hurt to try it, but I'd say you probably don't need it. Practice and protein will get you there just fine.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I looked into it briefly. What I found seemed to suggest that it would bring strength/endurance gains, but only whilst you are taking it (i.e. the gains are not permanent). Also there seemed to be a suggestion that taking it for a prolonged period of time was not ideal. Therefore unless I was training for a specific event or competition I personally wouldn't bother.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've been taking it pretty consistently for a year or so. It does seem to help me get more reps on some exercises. I don't think it directly boosts my max strength.

My first experience with creatine was when I was in college and I made several bowls of oatmeal each with a good scoop of Body Fortress brand protein powder. I did not know that it had creatine in it. After eating the oatmeal, one of my calves felt reallly achy and swollen. I had given myself compartment syndrome basically. Fortunately it went away after an hour or so. Compartment syndrome can be very serious and cause tissue death from the pressure if it is not relieved. Sometimes it requires a fasciotomy. Pretty gruesome stuff. Moral of the story: don't do megadoes. And read the label on your whey. I take no more than 5g a day now.

@zilog: Where did you read/hear that taking it for long periods of time is not ideal? I'd be curious to read more about that.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    This is the stuff I was talking about. You can get it a little cheaper if you shop around, but you're going to end up spending around a buck a day.

GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Creatine 189™ - GNC PRO PERFORMANCE - GNC

zilog is offline Senior Member
    @zilog: Where did you read/hear that taking it for long periods of time is not ideal? I'd be curious to read more about that.
    reading one of the (many) creatine threads on bodybuilding.com

it's not that's it's dangerous to keep using it (it probably isn't) but it may well be more optimal (not to mention cheaper!) to "cycle" it and take a break every now and then

All your creatine questions answered in here - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    Is there truly a need for daily creatine supplementation? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    reading one of the (many) creatine threads on bodybuilding.com

it's not that's it's dangerous to keep using it (it probably isn't) but it may well be more optimal (not to mention cheaper!) to "cycle" it and take a break every now and then

All your creatine questions answered in here - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    Is there truly a need for daily creatine supplementation? - Bodybuilding.com Forums
    Thanks!

onlymuscle is offline Junior Member
    It's useful for strength and endurance, but also puts on some water retention. Like the above poster said, most people like to use for a few weeks, and then take some time off.
    Here's some good resources:
    Does creatine work: How Does Creatine Work? | Get Muscle Lose Fat
    Post workout: Best Post Workout Supplements - Get Muscle Lose Fat

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Thx for the thoughts. The fact that the gains aren't permanent make me think its pointless now.

Koobs is offline Member
    I use creatine. The stuff works great, I would definitely recommend it. All you need is about 5g a day. No cycling required. It will help you put on some size fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast