Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: creatine page 2

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Where are u getting this info that the strength is not permenant? The size isn't because the water will leave your muscles but, once you gain strength it doesn't "disapear".

zilog is offline Senior Member
    ok, with the caveat that I am certainly not an expert, but I have done a lot of reading because I've had the same questions as you:

1) the effect of creatine seems to be to increase the energy available to the muscles
    2) this will probably enable you to lift extra weight/do extra reps
    3) if everything else is right (eating enough/sleeping/resting etc) this may mean you put on more muscle. However unless you are very advanced you will be able to build this muscle eventually anyway without creatine just by sticking to your programme.

When you stop taking creatine the extra energy effect will also stop so obviously your lifts/reps will be less. Yes, any muscle you put on whilst taking it will stay, but how much of that was actually down to the creatine? no way to tell.

As you said there is significant and immediate bloating of the muscles due to extra water. Do not underestimate the psychological effect this will have.

I would be wary of anyone saying "I took supplement xxxx and got massive gains" without hard scientific evidence. This sort of person is the reason that companies selling supplements are multimillion dollar businesses. Again do not underestimate the psychological effects on someone who's spent a lot of money on tubs of powder and wants to justify it.

This is not to say that creatine doesn't work because evidence suggests that it does have an effect. But how much of an effect will it have on you, and is it really worth it? I suppose you won't know unless you try.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I use it. About a year ago I decided to stop taking it because I figured it didn’t make any difference. But lo and behold it then became noticeable I wasn’t able to lift as much. So this was just another self experiment that taught me something. I don’t cycle, I just take some every day. I did a bunch of research before I first bought some and my conclusion was that it’s very safe. And it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than eating steak every day.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Are you able to quantify the difference that you noticed when you stopped taking it?

And it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than eating steak every day.
    Good point, actually. This is the same reason I use whey powder.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    Are you able to quantify the difference that you noticed when you stopped taking it?

No not really. It was subtle, but I did notice. Keep in mind some people are "non responders" to creatine. But there's only one way to find that out. I take it because I need all the help I can get. Mine is one of those bodies that does not want to put on muscle. It much prefers fat.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    I rarely use creatine when I'm in a calorie surplus - I don't really need it to make strength gains as long as I eat big. However, I find it very useful when I'm cutting weight.

Diarrhea has been an issue when supplementing with creatine though. Not "explosive" diarrhea, but I definitely shouldn't mix chili con carne and creatine. That would be a lethal combination

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Zilog,
    Thanks for clearing that up. I do believe tho, I am in that advanced group you were talking about. I ve been working out for a very long time and recently I just haven't been making any gains. I've changed stuff up but it doesn't seem to help. Ill try creatine and see what it does. If I gain, hypothetically, 50% more strength on it. And lose 25% of that when I stop the cycle, I am still 25% stronger than what I ever would have been because I am pretty sure for now my body is maxed out.

Only one way to find out.

Ps: water intake? I ve been crushing water but I think I am overdoing it as I pee like every 20 mins. May e it's because I just started and my muscles aren't I taking water yet (only been 2 days)

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    I did it years ago. It works, that's for certain. It gave me the ability to lift more weight with less rest and definitely helped me gain muscle mass. I even managed to keep it on after I stopped by really hitting it hard as I came off the creatine.

Make sure you always take it with food though. It ruins your intestinal tract if you don't. Not good times.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I've used creatine I thought it worked. But when I quit using it the gains and my desire to workout hard fell off. To me it's kind of a crutch. I'm leery about using it long term in case it affects kidney health. Because it's metabolized to creatinine, taking the supplement can give a false blood reading of kidney dysfunction.

Effects of creatine supplementation on r... [J Herb Pharmacother. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI
    Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA., USA.

Creatine & Creatinine Levels | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast