Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Curing candida on a paleo diet page 8

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just to add my own two cents on the hyperthyroidism debate...

Carb intake may have some SLIGHT impact on thyroid function as related to the conversion of T3, yes, but whether this matters in a low carb state is still not proven.

My opinion is that the biggest impact on thyroid function is overall caloric intake. This means that even people eating a low fat, high carb diet can still develop thyroid problems if they severely restrict calories to the point that they aren't consuming enough calories for their body to function.

This does not contradict any sort of benefits found from fasting or "caloric restriction" however. This would have to be chronically long term caloric restriction to cause the thyroid issues for which an occasional fast or lower calorie day wouldn't effect.

So who's at greatest risk for getting thyroid issues then? Chronic low calorie dieters, people with bulimia or anorexia (long term calorie avoidance), people who fast for extended periods when they're already extremely lean (not enough fat stores to sustain the energy for proper thyroid function).

So, basically... Don't be a chronic dieter, shift things around with occasional high calorie days, limit fasts to reasonable lengths (based on your body's composition), and if you think you might be developing an eating disorder then get it treated right away. These will prevent the major causes of thyroid issues.

Of course, this is a gross oversimplification that avoids the whole "goitrogen" issue (which has been hotly debated anyway), the issue of flouride intake (from toothpaste, water, ect.) on thyroid function, and other chemical and environmental factors relating to proper thyroid function. I don't doubt those can have an impact, but I think they are not the leading causes of thyroid issues.

Now, back to candida...

I think candida is a real (and serious) condition to have. However, i agree that it is hard to diagnose because its symptoms are not readily apparent as being caused by the candida. Its symptoms have been linked to any number of other causes as well. The way to determine if what you have is TRUE candida, you have to determine what the most likely cause of the symptoms are. For example, if you think that long term use of an antibiotic might be the cause, then it might be candida. But even then, it's tough to know for sure.

Everyone has their own opinions on how best to treat it, but I did have a friend who was believed to have had it (it was never 100% ascertained). After his diagnoses, both his doctor and a nutritionist recommended he go extremely low carb until symptoms of the disease subsided. He went almost zero carb for about a month and by the end was feeling MUCH better. Of course, he was also eating a lot of fermented veggies (as recommended by the nutritionist) to cure gut flora imbalances so this may have played a role as well...

And no, a month of eggs, meat, and fermented veggies did NOT leave him with chronically low T3 levels and hyperthyroid symptoms, FWIW.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    My problem is you're rude and arrogant. This also isn't a private clubhouse, I have just as much right to be here as anyone else. You should welcome conflicting interest for the sake of bettering health. Inquisitive minds are what drive the world forward. I actually eat plenty of whole foods without modern chemical assistance btw, just because it's known to cause allergens.
    Agreed. Paleobird is extremely rude and arrogant and throws her ketosticks out of the pram whenever anybody shares positive results about eating more than half a potato in one sitting.

She is self-obsessed, and has clearly depressed her basal metabolic rate through chronic low-calorie dieting, which is obviously not primal.

If you're doing well on gummy bears and coke from time to time - all power to ya!

I've experienced candida overgrowth and had to pay to consult a private doctor to help cure it, as there is no treatment available on our NHS which I pay for via the taxation system. It's no longer a problem - I can even enjoy the odd gummy bear or two ;-)
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    something i've been wondering

for those that say trying to rid the body of candida causes it to explode/spread/be more problemistic, would you say that eating an excess of antifungal foods or take antifungal meds like above ^ would be good or bad

to try and be less confusing, if low carbing is NOT helpful then what would eating a ton of coconut products be
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Agreed. Paleobird is extremely rude and arrogant and throws her ketosticks out of the pram whenever anybody shares positive results about eating more than half a potato in one sitting.
    She is self-obsessed, and has clearly depressed her basal metabolic rate through chronic low-calorie dieting, which is obviously not primal.
    If you're doing well on gummy bears and coke from time to time - all power to ya!
    I've experienced candida overgrowth and had to pay to consult a private doctor to help cure it, as there is no treatment available on our NHS which I pay for via the taxation system. It's no longer a problem - I can even enjoy the odd gummy bear or two ;-)
    Where do you store all that negativity? Or do you just produce more as needed?

I eat on a ketogenic diet for a medical condition. I have often said how wonderful I feel on it but I have never once said that everyone else should follow it too.
    You know nothing about my basal metabolic rate. But yes, it probably is lower than most people because of my epilepsy medication. I have never done "chronic low calorie dieting". How incredibly presumptuous of you.

I really hope you get some help with your issues. You are one extremely sad lady.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-02-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Paleobird, don't let the shitstorm get to you.

The more you respond to them, the more justified they feel. Just let it go. You know you are doing what works for you and damn be to all of the others that think otherwise. Do you feel good about yourself? Great, then you're already ahead of the game. Don't let the bad moods of others rub off on you.

Sometimes it's best to quit while you're still ahead. If some people don't want to see things the way you see them, that's fine, let them be that way. You don't have to see things the way they see them either.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 12-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Paleobird, don't let the shitstorm get to you.

The more you respond to them, the more justified they feel. Just let it go. You know you are doing what works for you and damn be to all of the others that think otherwise. Do you feel good about yourself? Great, then you're already ahead of the game. Don't let the bad moods of others rub off on you.

Sometimes it's best to quit while you're still ahead. If some people don't want to see things the way you see them, that's fine, let them be that way. You don't have to see things the way they see them either.
    Ya, I know, but thanks for reminding me. It's just that the signal to noise ratio around this board is getting pretty low these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ya, I know, but thanks for reminding me. It's just that the signal to noise ratio around this board is getting pretty low these days.
    Indeed. I agree with you there.

You and I will never see eye-to-eye on everything, but I don't hold that against you, and I never will. People have different opinions. If you can't discuss them politely and without name-calling, then it's probably not worth it.

You're fine in my book, but if others want to lay into you, just let them. When they realize you don't care, they'll eventually leave it alone.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You're fine in my book, but if others want to lay into you, just let them. When they realize you don't care, they'll eventually leave it alone.
    I honestly don't care on a personal level but I do care about the integrity of this forum. The whole place looks like a collection of ill-informed wingnuts if there are posters talking about candy, soda, and 30 cups of coffee a day as dietary staples and telling people to have HRT post breast cancer and that doesn't go un-refuted.

Yeah, but some people just can't be convinced otherwise, and at some point you have to ask yourself... Is it worth it anymore?

You can shout from the rooftops, but if people don't want to hear it, it doesn't make a difference.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I honestly don't care on a personal level but I do care about the integrity of this forum. The whole place looks like a collection of ill-informed wingnuts if there are posters talking about candy, soda, and 30 cups of coffee a day as dietary staples and telling people to have HRT post breast cancer and that doesn't go un-refuted.
    What are you refuting? Too bad people are free to to come to their own conclusions and from the looks of it the "wingnuts" are the only ones who are able to back up their claims. While you just come off as a hot headed idiot able to do nothing but throw out sad ad hominem attacks and get mad. ^-^ It's a good thing you have some lackeys to back you up, eh?

Yeah, yeah I drink 30 cups of coffee a day, drink coke, and eat gummy bears. Is this horse not dead yet? Meanwhile you eat a diet rich in metabolic destroying amino acids, and polyunsaturated fats!

Hey, look, it's that dreaded coke: Does 4-methylimidazole have tumor preventi... [Food Chem Toxicol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

4-methylimidazole is the browning(caramel color) in coke. I don't think I need to say anything about the benefits of coffee, if you haven't heard of them you're living under a rock. Though, I do wonder with you... As for gummy bears, they're a tasty way of getting gelatin and I eat them from time to time. It's not a staple in my diet, but you seem to know what I eat better than I know myself.

Paleobird, like many people, have their collective heads so far up their own asses they can't see daylight. It's funny to sit here and watch them pandering around, it's probably why I keep posting.

I'm glad you're doing better now! I honestly ate some gummy bears today, took a long look at one, thought about how there are people out there who really think they're silent killers and erupted in laughter.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast