Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 112

Thread: Curing candida on a paleo diet page 7

  1. #61
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,850
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    "Internet gossip", yet we're the only ones who are actually posting solid scientific evidence. You talk of mindset, yet this is yours and Paleobird's: "LOL YOU IDIOTS DON'T KNOW ANYTHING *FINGERS IN EARS* LALALA NOT LISTENING I'M DONE" How old are you people? This is just a disgraceful, childish response.
    What do you have to prove by perpetuating this behavior then, if I may ask?

    Just wondering, but if we're so childish around here all the time, then what do you gain from sticking around and encoraging it? The best way to stop childish arguments is to, you know, not engage in them. But I don't see you making that logical connection.

    And by the way... Speaking of stubborn... Lord knows one of us try to tell you that sugar or caffeine (at least at the levels you consume) might be bad for you. You'll come back with 101 reasons why this isn't so. So, what then? It's not stubborn for you to defend your own viewpoints, but suddenly, when anyone ELSE does it, it's because we don't want to "hear alternate opinions"? Seems we're not the only ones who have strong opinions on a subject or two.

    There's nothing wrong with believing in something, especially if it's been working really well for you. Wanting to seek out evidence that proves this both for yourself and for others is only natural. From what I've seen, you are NO different or any better than the rest of us in this regard.

    Anyway, that's just my own piece on the matter. I'm out. Cheers!

  2. #62
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    What do you have to prove by perpetuating this behavior then, if I may ask?

    Just wondering, but if we're so childish around here all the time, then what do you gain from sticking around and encoraging it? The best way to stop childish arguments is to, you know, not engage in them. But I don't see you making that logical connection.

    And by the way... Speaking of stubborn... Lord knows one of us try to tell you that sugar or caffeine (at least at the levels you consume) might be bad for you. You'll come back with 101 reasons why this isn't so. So, what then? It's not stubborn for you to defend your own viewpoints, but suddenly, when anyone ELSE does it, it's because we don't want to "hear alternate opinions"? Seems we're not the only ones who have strong opinions on a subject or two.

    There's nothing wrong with believing in something, especially if it's been working really well for you. Wanting to seek out evidence that proves this both for yourself and for others is only natural. From what I've seen, you are NO different or any better than the rest of us in this regard.

    Anyway, that's just my own piece on the matter. I'm out. Cheers!
    Said nothing of being stubborn, just close-minded. If they were to post something substantial to debate with rather than just turning away and ignoring it while dismissing it as stupid internet gossip based on their own personal beliefs that would be one thing. But it's obvious they can't refute any of it.

    I could just leave, but why? I'm having fun playing the contrarian.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  3. #63
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Said nothing of being stubborn, just close-minded. If they were to post something substantial to debate with rather than just turning away and ignoring it while dismissing it as stupid internet gossip based on their own personal beliefs that would be one thing. But it's obvious they can't refute any of it.

    I could just leave, but why? I'm having fun playing the contrarian.
    Hmmm... Well, just to play the "contrarian" and Devil's advocate myself for a second then...

    I've seen you make the case multiple times that adrenal fatigue is a bogus concept and yet I've never seen you offer ANY evidence to back that claim up.

    Remember, we can't take it seriously if you don't offer evidence to back up every little contention you make.

    [Not trying to argue with you about it, just "playing the contrarian." ]

  4. #64
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Hmmm... Well, just to play the "contrarian" and Devil's advocate myself for a second then...

    I've seen you make the case multiple times that adrenal fatigue is a bogus concept and yet I've never seen you offer ANY evidence to back that claim up.

    Remember, we can't take it seriously if you don't offer evidence to back up every little contention you make.

    [Not trying to argue with you about it, just "playing the contrarian." ]
    Adrenal fatigue is based on a vague collection of symptoms that can be caused by ANYTHING. It has no scientific evidence itself to suggest these symptoms are being caused by your adrenal glands being drained.

    With a functioning thyroid your adrenals have very little to do with anything at all.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  5. #65
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix
    Adrenal fatigue is based on a vague collection of symptoms that can be caused by ANYTHING.
    Much like "candida".
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 12-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.

  6. #66
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Paleobird-
    Just a note to say that I admire you and believe you are wasting your time with these people.

    Anyone who would question the ketogenic diet for epilepsy obviously lives in a different dimension of reality.

    And as someone with Hashimoto's, I refuse to engage with the nonsense that low-carb eating 'causes' thyroid problems. Like your experience with breast cancer, I've researched my illness extensively through serious medical sources--not Internet gossip--and there is absolutely no causative effect. The lowering of T3 is a perfectly natural function that is not the least pathological.

    Trying to engage in serious discourse as you've been doing is, IMO, futile, given the mindset of these people.
    Thank you emmie. And yes, I agree it is futile. This is like arguing with Durianrider except one who proudly pounds 30 cups of coffee a day plus Coke plus candy and then presumes to give out health advice.

    I really don't care if any one individual wants to be that way. I only care about the potential for confusion it might cause to any newbie around the forum.

    And "being contrarian" doesn't necessarily further the debate or encourage conceptual growth when it is pure nonsense being spouted. If I walked into a gathering of planetary geologists and insisted loudly and vehemently that the earth is flat, it really wouldn't be helping anything at all.

  7. #67
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

    And "being contrarian" doesn't necessarily further the debate or encourage conceptual growth when it is pure nonsense being spouted. If I walked into a gathering of planetary geologists and insisted loudly and vehemently that the earth is flat, it really wouldn't be helping anything at all.
    What a horrible metaphor.

    Prove why it's nonsense then. I'll gladly eat my own words if you could, but you can't. All you can do is straw man, and the funniest thing is you can't explain why coffee, mexican coke and candy are bad for you. Must be all dat sugah!!11

    Considering my lab results, this is just hilarious.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  8. #68
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Thats all well and good that it has been discussed around here, i had no doubt that it would since almost all online community sufferers of hypothyroid originated from a paleo/primal diet.
    This is purely anecdotal but everyone that I know in real life that has hypothyroid has never eaten anything remotely paleo/primal or even low carb.

  9. #69
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Much like "candida".
    Hey. The original topic for a change. Yay! What a concept.

    FWIW, I do think that "candida overgrowth" is massively over-diagnosed. Yes, it is a real condition but is really rather rare. For instance having a prolonged stint on heavy duty antibiotics can cause it.

  10. #70
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hey. The original topic for a change. Yay! What a concept.

    FWIW, I do think that "candida overgrowth" is massively over-diagnosed. Yes, it is a real condition but is really rather rare. For instance having a prolonged stint on heavy duty antibiotics can cause it.
    My mother-in-law actually has a medically diagnosed case of this right now after spending about 2 months in the hospital on antibiotics and almost dying from a ruptured appendix.

    She is a prescription to kill off the excess fungal infection, on prescription strength probiotics (VSL#3 DS) to re-establish a healthy gut flora/establish a healthy flora in general (the gut is a base of this, candida bloom in the gut candida bloom everywhere) that can maintain itself and keep the candidia to a normal level, and a very strict diet. That diet does NOT include drinking cokes or eating gummies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    This is purely anecdotal but everyone that I know in real life that has hypothyroid has never eaten anything remotely paleo/primal or even low carb.
    In addition to this most people who say "paleo causes/caused thyroid problems" never had any sort of test that even checked or confirmed any low T3 or rT3... like adrenal fatigue they went by a vague list of symptoms and said "OMG I think I'm hypothyroid!" When the reality is that often the same symptoms can be caused by many other factors such as poor sleep, stress, over exertion or working out, eating too little/chronic calorie restriction (yes this happens when people are trying to bust off weight too quickly), etc... and these same things (stress, etc) can also cause low T3/rT3 readings independent of any low carb eating plan. As a matter of fact all of these symptoms are very common on high carb/low fat plans as well... including the oft cited hair loss.
    As a matter of fact the one and only instance I have personal experience with was a friend who did CW, high carb, low fat... hair fell out, all symptoms commonly cited of "hypothyroid" fatigue, cold, tired, dry skin, her face/eyes were really pale and puffy at the end, she felt weak, depressed, forgetful, missing periods even though she was far from under weight still... the book! She absolutely destroyed herself. She was a physical wreck.
    She didn't have "hypothyroidism" she was abusing her body by eating too little calorically, working out too much (chronic cardio could have been her middle name), and basically giving herself malnutrition.

    This can happen to people on any diet who get too focused on weight loss instead of on health.
    Yes, I have even seen people I thought were that obsessed on these boards. But that doesn't make Primal/Paleo bad. And it doesn't make low carb "evil".
    Does it work for everyone? No... every person has to find the level of macros that fits with their personal needs. But low-carb in itself is not inherently harmful.
    Last edited by cori93437; 12-02-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    ďYou have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.Ē
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •