Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Curing candida on a paleo diet page 6

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Could you point me toward the study showing the percentage of people developing hypothyroidism from low carb eating? There is a history of thyroid dysfunction on my Dad's side of the family....

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BratKat View Post
    Could you point me toward the study showing the percentage of people developing hypothyroidism from low carb eating? There is a history of thyroid dysfunction on my Dad's side of the family....
    It's impossible to attach an arbitrary number to it.

One main reason low carb diets harm thyroid health are because of diminished levels of T3 and increased levels of cortisol and rT3
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Well that was awesome. I just spent 20 minutes skimming those threads and just like i thought there was absolutely nothing to back up your claim. There was ONE blog post from "a worldly monk" who offers an explaination that your body just doesnt need as much T3 on low carb. Wow. And then i found about five of your posts quoting from that exact blog post and no other evidense at all.

I will read that post in full and check his references but at first glance it looks like not much in the way of evidence. Also funny how you dismiss all of Masterjohn and Jaminets work but quote this other complete randoms blog like it was gospel.
    Like I said, that was only page one of 10 pages of threads and I don't need or want to prove anything to you because I don't care what you think. All I did was point out that the topic had been really well covered around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Most of my avatars aren't even real people, and the other was a really beautiful model named Anna Christine Speckhart. I'm sure hoping you didn't think I looked like any of them.

Also, are you new to the internet?

The last thing I'm trying to be is a primal spokesperson.

Don't you have anything to say to my other post?
    So you're a tall dude who uses sexy female model pics as avatars. OK.
    Yes, MDA is my first real experience with net interactions. I don't FB or tweet or any of that stuff.
    You obviously aren't a spokesman for Primal. You proudly flout the most basic of Primal eating principles yet dole out advice. I just want any newbies who might be listening to know that this is not Primal advice.

Which one of your other posts are you referring to? I've been out to dinner, you know, having a life

One more thing. You should look into supplementing progesterone for epilepsy. Eating low carb to control epilepsy seems like another conventional harmful backwards "treatment".
    Progesterone is not a good idea for someone who has had breast cancer. And Ketosis as a treatment for epilepsy has a long history. Try researching it sometime. It works. Google Johns Hopkins +ketosis for more info.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Im sorry but you are being a bit ridiculous. You only respond to the parts of my comments that keep you from writing anything worthwhile. My whole point of this has been asking you to back up your claim that low carb does not effect thyroid function. You have done your best to address anything BUT that. Thats all well and good that it has been discussed around here, i had no doubt that it would since almost all online community sufferers of hypothyroid originated from a paleo/primal diet. Every single thread you posted was started by one!

I wont ask again for any proof since its clear you have nothing to back up your claim. Maybe just stop parroting the same advice each time a new thyroid thread pops up. Im sure there will be plenty more around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Like I said, that was only page one of 10 pages of threads and I don't need or want to prove anything to you because I don't care what you think. All I did was point out that the topic had been really well covered around here.
    If you call anecdotes and a blog post well covered, okay.

So you're a tall dude who uses sexy female model pics as avatars. OK.
    Problem?

Which one of your other posts are you referring to? I've been out to dinner, you know, having a life
    The long one, you know, the main one. Why do you keep saying you have a life? Everyone here has a life, otherwise we'd be dead.

Progesterone is not a good idea for someone who has had breast cancer. And Ketosis as a treatment for epilepsy has a long history. Try researching it sometime. It works. Google Johns Hopkins +ketosis for more info.
    Uh, why? It's actually a very good idea.

I've researched it, it's stupid. I don't make claims unless I've researched it beforehand.

Paleobird Guest
    If you call anecdotes and a blog post well covered, okay.
    Problem?
    The long one, you know, the main one. Why do you keep saying you have a life? Everyone here has a life, otherwise we'd be dead.

Uh, why? It's actually a very good idea.
    I've researched it, it's stupid. I don't make claims unless I've researched it beforehand.
    Ten pages of threads is "well covered" in my opinion. I don't care what your avatar looks like and I still don't know which post you mean. The having a life comment was because you and/or paleo-bunny were telling me earlier that I needed to get one but I've been to two parties today while you've evidently been here. Go figure.

I'm done talking with you at this point however. Your level of medical knowledge is obviously so lacking that it is just not worth it. Anyone who would recommend a hormone for a hormonally driven cancer survivor and dismiss ketosis as being ineffective for epilepsy obviously doesn't have a clue.

Night night. Be sure to brush your teeth after your gummy bears and coke before bed.

Ten pages of threads is "well covered" in my opinion. I don't care what your avatar looks like and I still don't know which post you mean. The having a life comment was because you and/or paleo-bunny were telling me earlier that I needed to get one but I've been to two parties today while you've evidently been here. Go figure.
    Wasn't me. I don't know a thing about you, so, I honestly couldn't care less about your life, therefore I won't judge what you do in your time.

I'm done talking with you at this point however. Your level of medical knowledge is obviously so lacking that it is just not worth it. Anyone who would recommend a hormone for a hormonally driven cancer survivor and dismiss ketosis as being ineffective for epilepsy obviously doesn't have a clue.

Night night. Be sure to brush your teeth after your gummy bears and coke before bed.
    The funny thing is it's you that is wrong. Progestins are incorrectly linked with progesterone. Progesterone is actually immensely protective. The fact it has an inverse relationship with estrogen(linked to breast cancer, along with progestins) makes it protective all on its own.

Progesterone declines as you age. Estrogen dominance begins and it's just a coincidence that's when you're at the biggest risk for breast cancer?

Once again you're so quick to dismiss something without any proof of why you think I don't know anything. Natural progesterone is nothing but beneficial.

Yes mom

Here is my post:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1020731

Paleobird Guest
    I have scars across my upper torso where I am missing a breast. I think I know a little bit more about this subject than you, who don't even have breasts, will ever know.

What I don't get is what is your problem? You seem to feel this compulsive need to argue about subjects that have nothing to do with the thread (remember the candida?).

And why are you even posting on this forum when you don't even care to try to live or eat Primally? It would be like me going on a vegan site and telling them all about how they should eat meat. I could but why would I?

Seriously, going to bed now.

I'm sure you will want to stay up just a little bit later and get one last word in. Whatever.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird-
    Just a note to say that I admire you and believe you are wasting your time with these people.

Anyone who would question the ketogenic diet for epilepsy obviously lives in a different dimension of reality.

And as someone with Hashimoto's, I refuse to engage with the nonsense that low-carb eating 'causes' thyroid problems. Like your experience with breast cancer, I've researched my illness extensively through serious medical sources--not Internet gossip--and there is absolutely no causative effect. The lowering of T3 is a perfectly natural function that is not the least pathological.

Trying to engage in serious discourse as you've been doing is, IMO, futile, given the mindset of these people.

I have scars across my upper torso where I am missing a breast. I think I know a little bit more about this subject than you, who don't even have breasts, will ever know.

What I don't get is what is your problem? You seem to feel this compulsive need to argue about subjects that have nothing to do with the thread (remember the candida?).

And why are you even posting on this forum when you don't even care to try to live or eat Primally? It would be like me going on a vegan site and telling them all about how they should eat meat. I could but why would I?

Seriously, going to bed now.

I'm sure you will want to stay up just a little bit later and get one last word in. Whatever.
    My problem is you're rude and arrogant. This also isn't a private clubhouse, I have just as much right to be here as anyone else. You should welcome conflicting interest for the sake of bettering health. Inquisitive minds are what drive the world forward. I actually eat plenty of whole foods without modern chemical assistance btw, just because it's known to cause allergens.

I am sorry to hear what you've been through though.

Anyone who would question the ketogenic diet for epilepsy obviously lives in a different dimension of reality.

And as someone with Hashimoto's, I refuse to engage with the nonsense that low-carb eating 'causes' thyroid problems. Like your experience with breast cancer, I've researched my illness extensively through serious medical sources--not Internet gossip--and there is absolutely no causative effect. The lowering of T3 is a perfectly natural function that is not the least pathological.

Trying to engage in serious discourse as you've been doing is, IMO, futile, given the mindset of these people.
    "Internet gossip", yet we're the only ones who are actually posting solid scientific evidence. You talk of mindset, yet this is yours and Paleobird's: "LOL YOU IDIOTS DON'T KNOW ANYTHING *FINGERS IN EARS* LALALA NOT LISTENING I'M DONE" How old are you people? This is just a disgraceful, childish response.

I have plenty of citations btw, do you seriously want me to reference them all? I bet it'd be a waste of time since you'll just not read them and dismiss them as "internet gossip". You people have a bad habit of cherrypicking and looking at research selectively and showing them in a biased way.

Low T3 causes all symptoms of hypothyroidism, are you serious? It's far from natural. You didn't research very much apparently.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-02-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast