Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Curing candida on a paleo diet page 11

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Im sure you will get it. Also if you know anyone in your gym whos pretty fit, challenge them to a plank off. Trying to beat someone else will ensure a big PR.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Im sure you will get it. Also if you know anyone in your gym whos pretty fit, challenge them to a plank off. Trying to beat someone else will ensure a big PR.
    Thanks. I am delighted with my progess so far.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    Seriously? To answer the post creator's question: I did the really simple thing and followed Mark's diet and my candida overgrowth went away. Just try it, if it doesn't work, revisit and adjust.

It comes back if I drink a bunch of alcohol but it has to be a few consecutive days of binging for it to come back.
    How long have you been on the diet?

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Whether tea or coffee are beneficial depends on the root cause. Candida is often but not always down to consuming excess carbs or poor diet. The causes can be complex and multifactorial.

I've had candida overgrowth due to an impaired immune system caused by mercury poisoning and having joint hypermobility syndrome, which causes excess histamine release and increased permeability of mucosal linings.

I've eliminated candida overgrowth through avoiding all grains and legumes apart from white rice. Starch isn't a problem. Lectins, phytic acid and foods high in certain types of yeasts and molds are, and fructose to a lesser extent.

Caffeine is a powerful anti-histamine so it can be beneficial for those prone to autoimmune problems. I use it predominantly to keep my blood pressure up to a healthy level and as an antihistamine. I have excellent insulin sensitivity and never had any issues with blood sugar levels. I avoid black tea as that is histamine promoting, but find green tea very beneficial.
    I appreciate all of this info. Thank you!

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Two years now. With some periods of time that dipped into 60/40 territory. But honestly, the rashes, lethargy and feeling of being 'disconnected,' disappeared in weeks when I really tightened down my diet and exercise.

I couldn't tell you how entrenched the overgrowth was, so I'm sure your mileage will vary.
    Last edited by shiggles; 12-03-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie_Miller View Post
    I appreciate all of this info. Thank you!
    No problem. I'm glad you appreciate it. I am only sharing my individual experiences.

I find Derpamix's insight that chronic sugar or carb exclusion could be detrimental for candida very interesting. I occasionally use sugar to boost my immune response when I feel I'm coming down with an infection. I'm not a fan of sugar, only starch. But I'm not scared of sugar and will eat it from time to time to share enjoyment of a gluten-free dessert, and I'm sure that keeps my system on its toes.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    Two years now. With some periods of time that dipped into 60/40 territory. But honestly, the rashes, lethargy and feeling of being 'disconnected,' disappeared in weeks when I really tightened down my diet and exercise.

I couldn't tell you how entrenched the overgrowth was, so I'm sure your mileage will vary.
    That is extreme. My lowest diastolic reading was 45. It averaged 65. I find having normal blood pressure now so energising.

I found the disconnection and lethargy extremely debilitating.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    in this brave new world where black is white, up is down and left is wrong, what effect would eating foods specifically for their antifungal properties (or straight up taking antifungal meds) have if low carbing is bad for candida?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I was just reading a Chris Kresser article where he mentioned Candida and the GAPS diet and digestive stuff...He said that Candida thrives on KETONES and if he puts someone on an extremely low carb / GAPS diet for a short period of time and their symptoms get worse, it likely means they have a Candida overgrowth issue. I thought that was really interesting, because I had previously heard that eating a very low carb diet was supposed to help correct Candida overgrowth, but this would explain why having higher levels of starches (as recommended by Jaminet) would be good. Damn, it's confusing!

Here is a quote from Chris Kresser:

Now, more specifically about GAPS, there are a few issues with it and that can make it not helpful or appropriate for certain people. Number one is that, as we talked about earlier and talked about in more length with Paul when he came on the show, is that yeast can thrive on ketones, and GAPS, especially the Intro GAPS diet, is by definition a very low-carbohydrate diet and will probably be ketogenic. So, for some people who have a systemic yeast infection, doing a ketogenic diet can actually make things worse, and Iíve seen this in my practice. Whatís a little confusing to me is that it doesnít seem to always be the case. Some people tend to improve, so I donít know how to explain that. Maybe some species of yeast are more able to utilize ketones than others, Iím not sure. But I sometimes even use that as a diagnostic protocol. If you put somebody on a ketogenic diet for a short period of time and they get a lot worse, then that could be an indicator of a yeast infection. So, thatís one issue. Another issue is that because itís a low-carb diet and someoneís on GAPS for a long time, that could affect thyroid function, which weíve talked about before. Glucose is required for the conversion of T4 to T3. There are studies showing that fasting and very low carb diets over a prolonged period can cause a decline in thyroid hormone and conversion of T4 to T3, and T3 is five times more metabolically active than T4, so thatís significant.

Answers to your burning questions about digestion

*Funny that this particular paragraph including a bit of thyroid/low carb stuff, not to reignite the earlier battle.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    On the subject of candida: I have a candida overgrowth and am starting my fourth week of paleo/primal and I do see an improvement. It's not gone, but it is improved. Prior to this I have more or less "Mediterranean Diet" with lots of whole grains. Cutting grains appears to have made a big difference.

On the subject of hypothyroidism: I have Hashimotos and suffer from hypothyroidism. My doctor, a Naturopathic Physician, told me that in many cases autoimmune conditions like Hashi's are caused directly by food allergies. She suspected either wheat or dairy. She put me on an anti-inflammatory diet (very similar to paleo, as it happens) and we discovered I had a dairy allergy. After stopping dairy, I also found that my long-term acid reflux cleared up. Unfortunately the damage to my thyroid had been long term and we were unable to reverse my Hashi's through dietary changes but at least can prevent further damage. I'll be a guinea pig for whether paleo makes it better or worse. I've got blood work this Wednesday. We can use that as a baseline, and as I plan to do paleo/primal long term we can see what happens on my future blood work.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast