Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Curing candida on a paleo diet page 10

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It's the caffeine that is most protective, so why would one want less of it? Tea is alright though.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Oh and if by slim chance, the OP is still reading this, Candida Overgrowth: Myths vs Facts Ľ EastWest Healing & Performance
    Wow relevant to the topic! What a change.

Interesting article. I do agree that "candida overgrowth" (or what appears to be/is diagnosed as, but is most likely a more general gut flora dysbiosis and/or metabolic or thyroid issue) is a sign of other issues at play and not just a random increase in the population of candida albicans in the gut. I think that short-term, low-carb could help curtail the "overgrowth" if any other systemic issues are being treated at the same time (hormone management, thyroid management, whatever). I wonder what a truly invasive overgrowth would look like in symptoms. Mine worsen when I eat more fruit and starches (and when I say more, I'm talking over maybe 150g a day), but it's especially worse if I eat any refined sugar or PUFAs (outside of omega-3). I wonder how long one could reasonably expect it would take for "eating well" to fix an apparent overgrowth. For me, it's just not happening.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Wow, now I am sooooooo confused! I always thought to eliminate sugar, caffeine and alcohol to starve the yeast overgrowth which I've tried and it didn't work. I tried for 2 months and thought maybe I should've tried for a longer period but then I had food issues and binged like crazy. Now I'm thinking it's because my hormones are not balanced. I eat very well but fruits/starches/caffeine/alcohol are included in my diet. I'm not sure what to do.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you have not already, get a doctor involved to test your thyroid and hormone levels. I know for a fact that my progesterone is low and I'm sure that factors into it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If you have not already, get a doctor involved to test your thyroid and hormone levels. I know for a fact that my progesterone is low and I'm sure that factors into it.
    Will do! That's something I haven't done yet. Thx.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Seriously? To answer the post creator's question: I did the really simple thing and followed Mark's diet and my candida overgrowth went away. Just try it, if it doesn't work, revisit and adjust.

It comes back if I drink a bunch of alcohol but it has to be a few consecutive days of binging for it to come back.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Whether tea or coffee are beneficial depends on the root cause. Candida is often but not always down to consuming excess carbs or poor diet. The causes can be complex and multifactorial.

I've had candida overgrowth due to an impaired immune system caused by mercury poisoning and having joint hypermobility syndrome, which causes excess histamine release and increased permeability of mucosal linings.

I've eliminated candida overgrowth through avoiding all grains and legumes apart from white rice. Starch isn't a problem. Lectins, phytic acid and foods high in certain types of yeasts and molds are, and fructose to a lesser extent.

Caffeine is a powerful anti-histamine so it can be beneficial for those prone to autoimmune problems. I use it predominantly to keep my blood pressure up to a healthy level and as an antihistamine. I have excellent insulin sensitivity and never had any issues with blood sugar levels. I avoid black tea as that is histamine promoting, but find green tea very beneficial.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

As stated above by those with something positive to add to this thread, high oestrogen/progesterone ratio can also be a factor. Histamine amplifies the action of oestrogen. Yeast excretes histamine. Not only that, yeast growth hormone has a very similar molecular structure to oestrogen so the two hormones amplify each other's action.

So there are two positive feedback loops for anyone genuinely interested in learning a bit of science.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Plank-off challenge progress - aiming high for 90 sec by Christmas '12!: 36 sec (6 Nov '12) ... 86 sec (2 Dec '12)
    86 seconds???? You couldn't have held it for 4 more seconds??? You are just milking this out til Christmas aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    86 seconds???? You couldn't have held it for 4 more seconds??? You are just milking this out til Christmas aren't you?
    Ha ha ha! I don't wear a watch and don't take my phone into the gym. That's where I am doing my planks, using a clock on a wall with a second hand to time myself. I can't crane my neck up to look at the clock during hence I only see it just before I start and again when I look up to see it as I collapse. This adds an extra psychological dimension, which is kind of interesting and possibly more true to groketta :-)

I will do my utomost to beat 90 s tomorrow evening. I've only had one instance of not beating my PB so far during this challenge. The taters are surely helping.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast