Thread: Newbie needing a bit of assurance & clarification page

mikikkin is offline Junior Member

Red face Newbie needing a bit of assurance & clarification

Shop Now
    I have read through lots and lots of the blog and forums and I read the primal blueprint book about a year ago (I have re-ordered it from the library).

I tried to go primal a year ago but didn't even stick with it for one day - I just wasn't in the right head space I guess.

I started 11 days ago, this time determined to succeed, I felt great last week but today I am feeling discouraged and sick and depressed! I guess I want some reassurance and maybe some advice on how to make it through....

My previous diet was APPALLING! ....
    breakfast - processed bacon (with nitrates sugar etc) and hashbrowns with juice and coffee with lots of sugar
    snack - chocolate bar a bag of candy and a large energy drink
    lunch - either nothing or a large Combo meal (unsure if I am allowed to name name's on this site)
    dinner - take out pizza or chinese food and sometimes some home cooked meat and vegetables or pasta etc with grain being about 70% of the meal

On day one I was 130kg (286 pounds), after one week I lost 6kg (13 pounds), but this week so far I have lost nothing and I am feeling a bit discouraged.... I realise that the 6kg lost was probably all just water....so is the reason I am not losing anything this week because I haven't switched to fat burning yet? Did anyone else take a while to start actually losing weight on primal?

Obviously at 130 kg (286 pounds) I have A LOT of extra fat on my body. I feel weird eating lots of fat because I can't help but think shouldn't my body just burn the fat on my body rather than get it from food? I think I remember reading somewhere on the blog that by eating more fat it encourages your body to burn more stored body fat.... is that correct?

I felt GREAT after about day 4 - lots more energy, no more headaches, no more nausea etc but at day 9 I started feeling grumpy, hungry and nauseous again. I really really want to drink a litre of coke right now. I did discover that last week I was accidentally using a vanilla essence on my breakfast that turned out to be in a sugar syrup so I was probably using about a teaspoon of sugar a day! Eeeekk! I gave it up day 9 - when i started feeling horrid again - could that small amount of sugar been sustaining my old sugar addiction?

My new diet looks a bit like this...... (please feel free to suggest improvements!)
    Breakfast - berries, nuts and some yoghurt & vanilla essence (I know yoghurt isn't primal but breakfast is tricky cause eggs make me sick and it is nice and fatty with lots of protein so I thought it would be okay - I'd like to cut it out eventually)
    Snack - apple
    Lunch - meat fried in coconut oil, lots of steamed/roasted veges with butter or big salad
    Snack - nothing or yoghurt mixed with berries and nuts
    Dinner - meat roasted or fried in coconut oil, lots of veges with butter and salad

Sooooo am I going to start losing weight again soon?
    How long does it take to feel better and not hungry and nauseous and tired?
    Why did I feel good and feel like I have gone backwards again (was it maybe the sugary vanilla?),
    Could my diet be improved? (Weight loss is important but feeling great is most important!)
    Can I really eat lots of fat if I have over 70kg (154 pounds) to lose?
    And if I have a piece of steak with lots of fat attached at the top do you leave that on and eat it? It seems to good to be true!

Thank you soooooooooooo much to anyone who comments and please keep it positive! I might cry if I get any grumpy negative comments right now!!

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Hey!
    Hang in there! I am going through a similar phase than you, not losing any weight and feeling like i wanna do a little cheating.

Just found this at the archives:
    Read more: Low Energy and the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

There are so many stories with a happy ending, so I am determined to stick to it! Hang in there! Keep reading, listen to your body, train the "will power".
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

MrSnstr is offline Junior Member
    I just posted this on another thread but sounds like you have similar problems as me:

Sauerkraut(raw) really helped me kill my sugar/sweets cravings. It's either the acidic tartness of it that satiates your want for sweetness; or maybe it's actually mowing down all those sugar loving yeasts in your system, I don't know. I do know when I start my day with it and eat small servings of it(just a couple spoon fulls) before/with each meal I could care less about sweets. I suppose any lacto-fermented veggie would do if sauerkraut isn't your thing, or kombucha; give it a try and let me know what you think.

Also it's pretty much all around good for you too; most of the longest lived/healthiest cultures eat an abundance of lacto-fermented vegetables it seems.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Your new diet is 1000x better than your old one. Just do that for a while and enjoy the feeling of eating real food.

As for the yogurt, no problems there. I would suggest going with organic as the most important thing (see Mark's post today on what to buy organic if you can.) If you can find it in full fat Greek, even better. Obviously you'll want plain without all the added sugar.

Some of us do pretty well with dairy. I wouldn't cut it out yet. If after a few months you don't see progress, maybe consider it then, but for right now you shouldn't have to worry about it.