Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Any primal non-christians here? page 11

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    I agree Cori. The solstice is important for me too. It is a time of renewal, when you can look forward and see that, no matter how much crud you are going through right now, there is the certainty that the days will get longer and there will be another summer.

I feel like I could really use a solstice party this year.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I would consider myself a non-Christian. I grew up attending an Antiochian Orthodox Christian church with my family. I started questioning things and lost faith around 13 yrs old. I think that's pretty common. I wonder if my parents had been less angry about my sudden refusal to attend church, if I would have gone back. I researched Wicca at the encouragement of a friend and identified as a pagan and a witch for several years. I have not actively practiced or worshiped in quite some time now. I would consider myself a natural pagan. I believe that life and energy are the higher forces out there, and that they can be manipulated. I'm a skeptic, but I also believes in miracles. I don't think anyone is necessarily wrong in their beliefs. I certainly recognize the function of religion for most religious people, as a moral compass and agent of comfort for the unknown. I'm just comfortable not knowing and leaving my fate up to time and nature and my own choices.

Seasons changing have a big impact on me physically. I don't really celebrate solstices or equinoxes, but I always feel things changing around that time with my body and my environment.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

cruncan is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I researched Wicca at the encouragement of a friend and identified as a pagan and a witch for several years.
    I have never heard of someone identifying themselves as a witch. That's interesting. If you don't mind, expand a little more on that. Thanks
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Solstice means nothing to me, except the natural significance of it. Shortest day, longest day - same as any other day. Just sitting in my cage chirping away, watching other birds fly. Some people can handle life in captivity, even around here I read bullcrap like "...but we live in a modern world." and "how to incorporate these last shreds of dignified, wild life into our fake, scheduled world." We need to stop it. The whole system needs a reboot. Some of us were born to scream at the top of our lungs on a regular basis.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cruncan View Post
    I have never heard of someone identifying themselves as a witch. That's interesting. If you don't mind, expand a little more on that. Thanks
    Huh, not sure I can do it adequately.

Wicca is a religion. Witchraft is a practice. You can have Wicca without practicing witchcraft. I don't associate myself with Wicca because I'm not interested in using someone else's definition of beliefs. Mine are the only ones that should matter to me. I identified as a witch because the commonly associated beliefs that go with witchraft (really more in line with druidism, for me personally) were ones I adhered to.

Wicca is a religion that was started by Gerald Gardner in the 1960s. Witchcraft, the term, was created by Christians, but the practice embodies many differences practices. A few hundred years ago, a witch might've just been an herbalist. For me, it's a little more spiritual, but my beliefs are rooted in the natural world. It seems fitting. I don't follow the "threefold rule" or other common Wiccan tenants either.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Revived an old thread, but didn't see this current one.

I've been Pagan for 10 years. A Kitchen & Green Witch.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Huh, not sure I can do it adequately.

Wicca is a religion. Witchraft is a practice. You can have Wicca without practicing witchcraft. I don't associate myself with Wicca because I'm not interested in using someone else's definition of beliefs. Mine are the only ones that should matter to me. I identified as a witch because the commonly associated beliefs that go with witchraft (really more in line with druidism, for me personally) were ones I adhered to.

Wicca is a religion that was started by Gerald Gardner in the 1960s. Witchcraft, the term, was created by Christians, but the practice embodies many differences practices. A few hundred years ago, a witch might've just been an herbalist. For me, it's a little more spiritual, but my beliefs are rooted in the natural world. It seems fitting. I don't follow the "threefold rule" or other common Wiccan tenants either.
    Gardner founded it in 1940, after an experience with a witchcraft group in 1939. I used to harass my wife about that quite often (as she was a practicing Wiccan).
    Now, amusingly, she calls herself agnostic and I followed the path to Asatru.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    raised spiritualist/pagan by a recovering Catholic - now a proud atheist. All religion boils down to sympathetic magic as far as I can see.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Solstice means nothing to me, except the natural significance of it. Shortest day, longest day - same as any other day. Just sitting in my cage chirping away, watching other birds fly. Some people can handle life in captivity, even around here I read bullcrap like "...but we live in a modern world." and "how to incorporate these last shreds of dignified, wild life into our fake, scheduled world." We need to stop it. The whole system needs a reboot. Some of us were born to scream at the top of our lungs on a regular basis.
    Aww. Knifegill, sounds like you need a hug kiddo. And you need to stop working such long hours in weird changing shifts and get some quality sleep. As the bard said, "Sleep knits up the raveled sleeve of care."

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird-my place, this Friday. Solstice party!!!

Solstice means more to me since I really hate the cold darkness of winter. Celebrate the sun coming back? Oh yeah, count me in.

Well said Badgergirl!!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast