Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silly question--can you eat too much red meat? page

meeshar is offline Senior Member

Question Silly question--can you eat too much red meat?

Primal Fuel
    Am I going to come down with gout, kidney problems, or something crazy from binging on red meat? Is it possible to eat too much of it in one day? I'm craving it terribly. I'm probably anemic, I ran out of my expensive heme iron supplement and have been making do with a less absorbable type.

I had a steak and a banana for breakfast, and I just couldn't resist searing up another for lunch. I have a freezer burned grass-fed tenderloin that I got for cheap and it's about to go off, so I've been trying to cook it up as fast as I can, glad I'm craving meat! Dinner is a roast that is currently simmering in the crock pot. MEAT!!!

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes there are negatives associated with excess meat consumption. That said, if you are borderline anemic then you probably have nothing to worry about, eat some meat.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yes there are negatives associated with excess meat consumption. That said, if you are borderline anemic then you probably have nothing to worry about, eat some meat.
    At least one study showed negative consequences when excess red meat was consumed with dairy saturated fat. The link was posted here on MDA. There is a short video and a podcast interview. It was very interesting. Just an hypothesis but Krauss thinks hepatic iron may be causing the problem

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/...at-it-depends/
    Last edited by Artbuc; 11-28-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think this is a periodic craving and you will be fine. The Inuits seem to be healthy, given their diet.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You can eat too much red meat. When you get hungry and the thought of another plate of red meat is just too much to bear, you've probably had enough. Until then, carry on.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Have you tried liver? Dirt cheap and very good for your anemia issues.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    There is such thing as getting too much of a good thing. It's best to always vary your diet but if you can afford to eat red meat all the time given that they are grass fed/hormone free then go for it. I personally can't.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I hope not! Because 90% of the meat in my freezer is grassfed beef, deer and elk.

Red meat doesn't cause gout. Excess alcohol and fructose (mainly high fructose corn syrup) with meat do. For over a year before going primal, I had this 'gouty' toe infection thing going on, that drs refused to diagnose as gout because a) I dont fit the profile, and b) it alternated between every toe except the big one. It ranged from unmanageable itching to being unable to bear weight from the swelling and pain. Since ditching grains, most processed sugars and HFCS, I have had zero flare ups, and I eat more red meat than ever. So have a steak and a glass of wine, and ditch the burger (on a Wonder bun with ketchup) and beer.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    At least one study showed negative consequences when excess red meat was consumed with dairy saturated fat. The link was posted here on MDA. There is a short video and a podcast interview. It was very interesting. Just an hypothesis but Krauss thinks hepatic iron may be causing the problem

Ron Krauss – Saturated Fat? Red Meat? It Depends . . . | Me and My Diabetes
    Very interesting. I have the opposite problem though--I'm chronically borderline anemic/low ferritin (I absorb it poorly due to a bariatric surgery) even though I do eat a decent amount of red meat on a normal basis. I haven't had bloodwork recently, however the symptoms that I've had during prior bouts of anemia are returning--easy bruising, fatigue, and photopsia when I raise my arms. Considering that I have not taken the heme iron supplement that I usually take in about a month (I'm taking carbonyl iron, which is ok, but not nearly as good) I'm pretty sure I'm low.

It's just super odd for me to be ravenously craving red meat, and I wanted to make sure there weren't any short-term problems from eating so much. If I hurry up and finish this tenderloin before it goes bad, I'll be eating red meat at every meal for a few more days. I don't want to end up like someone who ate steaks and burgers every day on vacation and came down with gout or something as a result of their meaty gluttony, lol.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Have you tried liver? Dirt cheap and very good for your anemia issues.
    I do love chicken liver! The rest of the family thinks I'm crazy though, so I don't buy it all that often. I'll be going to the farm to get some pastured chickens next week though, I'll definitely have to pick up some livers too if he has them. I wish I liked beef liver because it's so cheap, but I bought a grassfed one and did all the tricks to supposedly make it milder...it was horrible. I like things with pork liver in them, but have never had it by itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast