Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did Paleolithic man get his calcium from? page

Lukey is offline Senior Member

Where did Paleolithic man get his calcium from?

Shop Now
    I'm having a hard time understanding where Paleolithic man got his calcium from. The only regular source of calcium for people today is in dairy, and since for the majority of our evolution we didn't have dairy it doesn't really make sense. I have read that Calcium isn't actually that important for bone health and it's actually vitamin D which is the key component. It seems like a lot of the "Calcium Importance" awareness is funded by the dairy and cereal industry. All you ever see on food advertisements these days are "a good source of calcium" or "fortified with calcium" etc etc. It seems that it would be very hard to get anywhere near the supposed RDA of calcium without dairy or fortified foods. Any thoughts on if calcium is that important, and if so where did Paleolithic man get his from?

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    The calcium in vegetables is more bioavailable than the calcium from most dairy products. Primitive man would have eaten more of the animal than we eat today and more types of animals than we eat today. They would eat the bones of fish and possibly even small mammals, gnawing on the bones of larger ones. Even the meat has some calcium in it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    One source of calcium that the prehistoric men enjoyed but we do not are various insects & mollusks in shells. Overall though the dosage of calcium required for health is vastly exaggerated according to Mark.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    If anything calcium seems to be the culprit of blocked arteries more than fat/cholesterol...

AC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    In addition, early man moved around a lot and so their bone density was probably in better shape than modern (sedentary) man's is. Maybe they didn't require as much?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    If anything calcium seems to be the culprit of blocked arteries more than fat/cholesterol...

AC
    Please reiterate on this?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I know deer often nibble on old antlers as a source of calcium. So if early man scraped/ate all the meat off the bone they would get some that way.
    I wonder if the bone marrow in animals contains notifiable calcium ant that could be a source
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post

AC
    This is not because of excess dietary calcium, it is how you body uses calcium based on other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    This is not because of excess dietary calcium, it is how you body uses calcium based on other factors.
    Can you say more about this please?

Zach is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    Can you say more about this please?
    Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy (wfs)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast