Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where did Paleolithic man get his calcium from? page 3

peril is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    so at the moment I am not really getting that much calcium, only some from broccoli and cheese, should i up my intake of calcium? I am also getting 1500IU of Vitamin D a day just for reference.
    Supplementation with calcium is generally ineffective and sometimes dangerous. This is especially so if you are supplementing D3. The issues with calcium are more often caused by errant metabolism than by insufficiency. If you are getting enough D3, K2, Zn and Mg you should have no concern about calcium, less chance of CVD, better teeth and stronger bones
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Supplementation with calcium is generally ineffective and sometimes dangerous. This is especially so if you are supplementing D3. The issues with calcium are more often caused by errant metabolism than by insufficiency. If you are getting enough D3, K2, Zn and Mg you should have no concern about calcium, less chance of CVD, better teeth and stronger bones
    I agree, and its not just how much calcium you are getting but how the calcium is interacting with other minerals, how your body is using the calcium and so on. Usually a big supplementation of one mineral will throw off another. Its best to eat the food and let your body sort it out.

If you are getting close to 0 dietary calcium though and cant or dont want to add in the suggested foods or just good ol dairy then egg shell calcium is highly available and dirt cheap. Just save your egg shells, boil them and then powder them with a pestle and mortar.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Thanks thats good news, I don't supplement calcium so i'll just stick to eating some cheese and broccoli to get a little, and make sure i get enough D3, K2, Zn and Mg.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Paleothic man also happened to be a hell of a lot shorter than modern humans though, perhaps due to the lack of dairy. I imagine they ate more bones (like in fish), so they wouldn't be deficient.
    I thought that humans became shorter post agriculture? Taller before grains etc entered the human diet.

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but the current RDA for calcium is based on absorption rates which would not have been applicable to paleo folks (i.e. they didn't consume a lot of foods that hinder absorption). Also, depending on geographic location, they'd have gotten a fair amount of calcium and magnesium drinking naturally-occurring hard water from streams and rivers. In some areas that alone amounts to several hundred mg per liter.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D...

So many people are low in it. It's ESSENTIAL for calcium utilization. All of this talk about needing more calcium in the media... hooey. Get more vitamin D. Vitamin D also increases calcium absorption.

In conclusion: VITAMIN D!!!

P.S.

- Vitamin K: improve your gut flora so your body makes more of it.
    - Magnesium: Many people don't get enough.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 12-01-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I get calcium from my vitamin D pills and also from coconut milk

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D, Vitamin D...

So many people are low in it. It's ESSENTIAL for calcium utilization. All of this talk about needing more calcium in the media... hooey. Get more vitamin D. Vitamin D also increases calcium absorption.

In conclusion: VITAMIN D!!!

P.S.

- Vitamin K: improve your gut flora so your body makes more of it.
    - Magnesium: Many people don't get enough.
    Yea i supplement with 1500IU a day, is that enough?

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    Yea i supplement with 1500IU a day, is that enough?
    I'm no expert, but I supplement with up to 10,000 IU depending on my sun exposure. Your body can make that much in less than an hour of being in the sun.

The 1,000 IU guideline is the base amount needed to prevent disease (rickets I think).

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I'm no expert, but I supplement with up to 10,000 IU depending on my sun exposure. Your body can make that much in less than an hour of being in the sun.

The 1,000 IU guideline is the base amount needed to prevent disease (rickets I think).
    I take 10,000 IU as a Euroasian living in Scotland, where there is no sun! I think thats a high dose as you need to go unless you have some sort of medicinal condition.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast