Thread: How our thoughts can affect us

Threaded View

How our thoughts can affect us

This curiously seems to be a topic that actually annoys some people. They don't, apparently, believe it to be a possibility -- what they think explains the placebo (or, indeed, nocebo) effect I don't very well know -- over and above that they seem to resent others taking note of the phenomenon. One wonders how else the phenomenon by which primitive people have been observed to die after cursing could be explained. It seems to be their belief in the power of the curse that does it: they're literally frightened to death.

People also seem to take any interest in such phenomena as stemming from a wish to have what they refer to contemptuously as a "guru". That's a non sequitur. Also it's claimed such interest is "New Age" or "woo-woo". However, I've often been struck when reading the writings of William James, the founder of psychology, by how alive he was to this aspect of things. I just went online to garner some James' quotes:

‪“The greatest discovery of any generation is that a human can alter his life by altering his attitude.”‬

‪“The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.”‬

‪“Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact.”‬

‪“If you can change your mind, you can change your life.”‬

William James Quotes
    Anyway, suffice to say: nothing strange, nothing disreputable, nothing even particularly new about interest in this area. What is a large and difficult area is the question of how the phenomenon occurs and how and to what extent we can get inside the process and make use of it.

I was interested to find that Sean Croxton, who as most people here know has a fabulous podcast, just had an episode where he did an interview with a man who did a film on belief and emotion in which he interviewed people like Bruce Lipton and Paul Chek. I'm not necessarily agreeing with anything this guy says. I'm just saying it's an interesting area to think about and this is worth a listen:

The Cure Is... with David Scharps 11/27 by Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio
    ‪‬‪
    Last edited by Lewis; 11-28-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: My appalling typing