Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another minor stall, thoughts on diet? page

noisyninja is offline Junior Member

Another minor stall, thoughts on diet?

Primal Fuel
    I've been stuck at 335 for two weeks now (I started at 375, so I'm happy with the 40 lbs of progress). Any thoughts on what to do to knock this thing loose? Here's my current diet and routine:

BREAKFAST (every day)
    2 or 3 hard boiled eggs
    Whey protein shake (powder mixed with water)

LUNCH (every day)
    Salad w/ oven baked chicken breast, spinach/greens, baby carrots, a few pecans and a garlic vinaigrette dressing

DINNER (one of the three)

#1 NY strip steak, mushrooms and peppers sauteed in butter, steamed carrots and broccoli

#2 Stir fry of chicken breast, assorted vegetables (bok choy, peppers, carrots, broccoli) in oil w/ seasonings

#3 Salad w/ pulled pork or chicken, pico de gallo, lettuce, a dash of cheese and a small serving of guacamole as dressing

For exercise I'm walking about 1.25 - 1.5 miles per day, five days a week. I'm doing two strength sessions a week where I do various exercises... squats, rows, bench press, leg press, lat pull, dead dumbbell lifts.

On the bright side, I've lost 40 lbs since I started and I've noticed a dramatic improvement in my blood pressure (now normal, down from 130-140 over 90-110) and my resting heart rate (used to sit around 105, now around 75). But like I said, I've hit a mini stall in weight loss and I'm bothered. I also haven't noticed any change in my waistline, I've been measuring twice a week and it's been static for two weeks.

Thoughts? Tweaks? Am I doing something horribly wrong? Or do I need to be more patient?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I don't see enough fats here. Your fats should be 70-80% of your caloric intake every day.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    Is there sugar in your whey powder?
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Griff on the fats... maybe track your stats (fat/protein/carbs) for a few days and post that? It would help a lot!

You may have to drop carbs a bit (depending on where you come up). Some people have to drop down below 50 (or even to 20) to get weight loss going, some not so much, so once you know where your normal carbs are you can experiment.

Also you want to make sure you have enough calories.... if they're too low your body might be kicking into starvation a bit...

And at some point you may want to try to IF once a week or so.... just to get the metabolism moving and kickstart things.

But definitely I think more stats would be helpful.

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Maybe switch your exercise a little? Your body might have adapted to the walks, maybe go for longer walks, or try a bike ride? Something to mix things up.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Weigh / measure and track everything (on Fitday.com) for a week. We often underestimate our caloric intake and overestimate our exertion.

Also - it's REALLY, REALLY common for fat to stick around for one reason or another (stall) for weeks at a time. Be patient and read this.

I can do more stats.

What would you recommend for more fats? I was hoping the fat on the steak, and the 2 - 3 tbsps of butter with the mushrooms would work (although a lot of that remains in the pan). I used to eat a piece of sausage with my breakfast, have slacked on that lately but could add it back in. I also sometimes threw a little cheese (organic, raw milk stuff) into the breakfast or lunch.

I can track stats next week and post them, and I'll look for low caloric intake.

Thanks for the help. And Griff, thanks for being an inspiration. I think about your story a lot, because we're both starting from similar sizes.

I just plugged in yesterday's food to FitDay.com. Here's what I've got:

Calories 1709
    Fat 90.7g (811 calories, 47% of cals)
    Carbs 33.8g (124 calories, 7% of cals)
    Protein 183.6g (773 cals, 45% of cals)
    Alcohol 0g

So yeah, sounds like I need more fat to make them more even. Carbs seem to be in good shape unless some of you disagree.

So fat... any suggestions on more fat? I'm going to start snooping round the forums to find ideas for it.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil, butter, olive oil on salads - all of those work. Eat bacon. Eat fatty poultry - dark meat, not breast meat. Eat high-fat ground beef. All of that will help.

And cut carbs down to the bone (less than 20g a day) for a while and see if that helps.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

I can pour some butter on my steaks at night. I can swap the chicken breast with my salad for some fattier poultry (it's been breast meat so far). And maybe I can do a taco salad (seasoned high fat ground beef, lettuce, assorted veggies, some homemade guacamole and maybe a touch of cheese) one evening of the week.

Also, there's actually more to my diet than the numbers I posted. I remember while at lunch that I did not include my supplements. I know I'm getting 27g of protein from the protein powder, not sure what else. I need more math!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast