Thread: The Importance of a Routine

The Importance of a Routine

Shop Now
    How valuable is having a fitness routine to you? I know regimentation isn't HUGELY popular around here, but I've been consistently lifting for around than a year (16 y/o here) and have run into some problems.

I piece together workouts based on what exercises I haven't done in a while/what I enjoy working, and often end up changing my exercise or rep plans during the session, spending longer than I want to working out, and/or not achieving the results I want from the workout. I'm assuming I'm a prime candidate for Starting Strength? (keeping in mind I can only bench/back squat heavy at max once a week, limited equipment at home/no nearby good gyms) Or is there a more effective program you use and would recommend? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Not necessarily a routine, but definitely a plan. I go to the gym 1-2 times a week to do the StrongLifts5x5, depending on what else is going on. I do Convict Conditioning a couple times a week, depending on how I feel...

However, every time I do one of these workouts I pull out my log and do what I need to do for the next planned workout. There's not really any guesswork, no changing the workout, etc. I do what I planned to do for that workout, to ensure that I am including my whole body in my workouts (averaged over time, as necessary) and I am making progress towards my goals.

I'm currently squatting almost 1.5x bodyweight, and I can do one-arm pushups and pistol squats for reps, though I'm working on being a bit more strict and controlled. I have other goals that involve my weak areas (shoulders) that I am also working on.

You are a prime candidate for Starting Strength, but Stronglifts would probably do well for you also. Stop screwing around and get a plan. Figure out your goals, and then start breaking down what you need to get there.

A good progressive routine or plan is a must...you need to track progress.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I like knowing roughly when I will be working out, and what types of work outs I will be doing, on each day of the week. But this is something I just hold in my head, and it's entirely flexible depending on how I feel or if something else comes up. I don't like the idea of a set-in-stone plan however, it just leads to guilt if you skip a workout.

At the moment I don't log my workouts; it's definitely something I want to get into though.
    Paleo since 22nd Oct. 2012

F/21/5'7"
    SW: 163 lb 22/10/12
    CW: 154lb 1/12/12
    GW: ~140 lb

Logging progress is pretty important but I'm not so sure that routine is. Assuming of course that routine suggests something unvaried, pretty frequent and without much change.

I think that long term broad goals are important here.

Shop Now
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'm really a big fan of the weightlifting portion of fitness vs calisthenics and bodyweight stuff, so I may begin Stronglifts soon (I'll have to do a bit of research, first). Isn't is extremely similar to Starting Strength in rep scheme?