Thread: The Importance of a Routine page

Primalsaber is offline Member

The Importance of a Routine

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How valuable is having a fitness routine to you? I know regimentation isn't HUGELY popular around here, but I've been consistently lifting for around than a year (16 y/o here) and have run into some problems.

I piece together workouts based on what exercises I haven't done in a while/what I enjoy working, and often end up changing my exercise or rep plans during the session, spending longer than I want to working out, and/or not achieving the results I want from the workout. I'm assuming I'm a prime candidate for Starting Strength? (keeping in mind I can only bench/back squat heavy at max once a week, limited equipment at home/no nearby good gyms) Or is there a more effective program you use and would recommend? Thanks in advance for any tips.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Not necessarily a routine, but definitely a plan. I go to the gym 1-2 times a week to do the StrongLifts5x5, depending on what else is going on. I do Convict Conditioning a couple times a week, depending on how I feel...

However, every time I do one of these workouts I pull out my log and do what I need to do for the next planned workout. There's not really any guesswork, no changing the workout, etc. I do what I planned to do for that workout, to ensure that I am including my whole body in my workouts (averaged over time, as necessary) and I am making progress towards my goals.

I'm currently squatting almost 1.5x bodyweight, and I can do one-arm pushups and pistol squats for reps, though I'm working on being a bit more strict and controlled. I have other goals that involve my weak areas (shoulders) that I am also working on.

You are a prime candidate for Starting Strength, but Stronglifts would probably do well for you also. Stop screwing around and get a plan. Figure out your goals, and then start breaking down what you need to get there.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    A good progressive routine or plan is a must...you need to track progress.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

rachi is offline Junior Member
    I like knowing roughly when I will be working out, and what types of work outs I will be doing, on each day of the week. But this is something I just hold in my head, and it's entirely flexible depending on how I feel or if something else comes up. I don't like the idea of a set-in-stone plan however, it just leads to guilt if you skip a workout.

At the moment I don't log my workouts; it's definitely something I want to get into though.
    Paleo since 22nd Oct. 2012

F/21/5'7"
    SW: 163 lb 22/10/12
    CW: 154lb 1/12/12
    GW: ~140 lb

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Logging progress is pretty important but I'm not so sure that routine is. Assuming of course that routine suggests something unvaried, pretty frequent and without much change.

I think that long term broad goals are important here.

Primalsaber is offline Member
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'm really a big fan of the weightlifting portion of fitness vs calisthenics and bodyweight stuff, so I may begin Stronglifts soon (I'll have to do a bit of research, first). Isn't is extremely similar to Starting Strength in rep scheme?