Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have heard that there are no vegetarian cultures thriving but... page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

I have heard that there are no vegetarian cultures thriving but...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Everyone brings up India, the Jaines etc. Is it true that no culture can thrive as vegetarians?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Considering their physiques and general state of health, I'd hardly call Indian vegetarianism "thriving"...
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Considering their physiques and general state of health, I'd hardly call Indian vegetarianism "thriving"...
    Exactly my thoughts.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    I know of no long term reproducing communities that are 100% vegetarian. Most vegetarian communities that reproduce allow dairy and /or egg consumption. Some even occasional meat. Many monk communities I have read eat vegetarian to keep the boys from getting too frisky...probably with each other.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Jains are lacto-vegetarians. They also don't eat that way for longevity or health but to end their term in the cycle of reincarnation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Of course cultures could thrive as vegetarian. Vegan would be more tricky.

jonepeteru is offline Banned
    Considering their physiques and general state of health

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    So that would be a no then? good.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Of course cultures could thrive as vegetarian. Vegan would be more tricky.
    Do you have evidence of a long term completely vegetarian culture? By long term I mean a community which reproduces healthy children over many generations. Not a 20/21st century concept. (no animal products)
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Owly is offline Senior Member
    There are long-term surviving lacto-vegetarian cultures but no long-term thriving vegan cultures. Jains and many Hindus are lacto-vegetarian (some castes eat meat). Eggs are generally considered meat in India though.

People sometimes get confused by the Indian term "pure vegetarian" and think it means vegan, but it actually means eating only sattvic foods, which includes milk and milk products as well as honey and so is not vegan.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast