Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fat Loss Bible- It's about Calories not carbs! page 3

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Not the case for weight watchers and the like, very foggy brain, loads of cheat days... just about twice a week of losing control, amazing I lost the weight at all. Years of eating overly carby food the culprit I think.
    Yeah, as happy as I am for my friend, I bet he goes through a lot of self-doubt due to the diet. "I want MORE of that but I'm near my limit for the day" or something to that effect.

Primal works much better for me, though I like to think about what I want to eat or what I am eating, I don't HAVE to. As long as there's some sort of animal protein and a vegetable pairing, I'm good to go. Combine that with 16/8 IF and yeah, I'm set.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I think that Anthony Colpo, while being abrasive and egotistical does have some great points in his book. His book is a good resource for weight management. Anthony doesn't however concern himself with inflammation and the negative effects of gains and bad oils. I'm also an IF person and he loves to rant against IF. His point that customizing one's fat and carbohydrate intake for their specific needs is very valid. A low carbohydrate approach can in fact be a great tool in losing a lot of weight but that doesn't mean that all carbohydrates are bad and that athletes need to avoid them.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    "If the diet seems easy to you, you don't feel the need to cheat too much, then you have found the one for you. That has been the case for me on this diet, no need to count calories, watch portions or exercise a lot, I feel satiated and clear and well."

I agree!
    I've tried a handful of methods to lose weight in the past. Each time I have been successful, to some degree, losing as much as 15-20% of my starting body weight in one fell swoop. In the end, I always put the weight back on. This time it feels different. This time, I read Primal Blueprint. The book explained why I felt the way I did on those other diets, and why I had a hard time keeping the weight off after those diets. Every point about diet in the book made sense to me and, although there were not many references, any doubts I had began to melt away, along with my excess body fat, as soon as I began the new lifestyle. It is incredible (to me) how well the book and lifestyle correctly predicted how I would feel, how my body would change, and how easy it all would be. The thing is, Mark probably didn't write this book just for me so, stealing his 80/20 rule, I have to guess the Primal lifestyle would work for a majority of people seeking weight loss, increased energy, and overall improved health.

In my opinion, this is very a natural way to eat and live. I can not say that about any of the other diets I've tried in my life.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I think that Anthony Colpo, while being abrasive and egotistical does have some great points in his book. His book is a good resource for weight management. Anthony doesn't however concern himself with inflammation and the negative effects of gains and bad oils. I'm also an IF person and he loves to rant against IF. His point that customizing one's fat and carbohydrate intake for their specific needs is very valid. A low carbohydrate approach can in fact be a great tool in losing a lot of weight but that doesn't mean that all carbohydrates are bad and that athletes need to avoid them.
    He just loves to rant, IMO. It gets old quickly for me and any good content he might have had goes by the wayside.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    dnj1965, I loved your dissertation. Thanks! You said it perfectly.

What is the "it" you are looking for?

For me it was appetite control. I simply could not achieve it after what I had done to my body hiking the Pacific Crest Trail for 6 months on a nearly zero protein diet high in simple carbs (candy, cookies and crackers) and crappy vegetable oils (poptarts, fig newtons, cheeze-its, dehydrated cheese-flavored powder, packets of mayo pilfered from gas stations.)

A high fat, low carb diet gave me control over my appetite. I could eat less and lose weight.

Now I'm gaining weight. Weighed on the same scale that said I was 163 a year and a half ago it now reads 142. My home scale said 133 last time I looked (July). My clothes are looser. I eat 2000-2500 calories a day at minimum, a full 500-1000 calories more than My Fitness Pal calculates is my "maintenance."

I'm not sure what "calories" or "weight loss" really is anymore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    The thing is for me, I cannot go too low carb. I noticed if I eat just protein for a meal I am still hungry, I need more veggies to protein.

I really am trying to help my mom with all of this information, and every day I am convinced its about being a "fat burner" through high protein, high fat, low carb, but then by the end of that same day, I am back to "its about calories! how can it not be!"

I think paleo works, as most people have already said here, because it is satiating and reduces appetite. I think Paleo has a good strategy behind its system, but it may not be right for everyone is they can't control their appetites or reduce their overall calories. Vegans/raw vegans are usually skinnier even if they eat ALL CARBS because they eat lower calories.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    man, anthony colpo's blog can be scary. the guy FREAKS OUT over any criticism, by anyone, anywhere in the blogosphere. it's a little weird to watch him essentially melt down week after week.

anyway, his points about weightloss (basically, just not ignoring science) are all valid, and damn right. but lyle mcdonald says it better, and says it more succinctly. and if you read lyle's blog, you don't have to put up with white text on a black background which is a pet peeve of mine.

but yeah, colpo is on point with regards to calories, and science in general.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123