Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping menu suggestions page

polos26 is offline Senior Member

Camping menu suggestions

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, this may sound idiotic considering the premise of our diet, but I was wondering if anyone has primal ideas for camping (no hunting or fishing involved, unfortunately)

I do just fine in the kitchen, burgers with no buns are fine on a plate but in the woods? I am wondering what can i do for 'hand food' while camping as this will be our first camping trip sans bread. Also, any creative ideas for snacks? I am obviously skipping the 10 bags of chips, however I worry that nuts and seeds wont satisfy the cravings of 'some' (insert not-fully-commited-to-primal boyfriend's name here)

Thanks!
    Loving my primal life

imnes is offline Member
    If you're just going out for a night or two, some frozen steaks in a cooler of ice hold up well. Thin sliced, thaw before cooking kabob style over the fire. You could even just pre-cook and keep it in the cooler, heat up on the fire before eating? Fresh fruits. Nuts. If you have the cooler, some cheese and hard boiled eggs travel well. And a good nugget of dark chocolate in your pack

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Pre-make some foil packs. Fold foil into pouches (maybe 2 layers, to be safer) and fill up with seriously ANY combination of meat, veggies, and spices (and butter!). Stick them in the edge of the fire, wait til you hear them hissing/bubbling for a few minutes, then pull them off and eat 'em. It's really hard to screw up, and FANTASTIC when you get a good batch.

Kookie is offline Junior Member
    How about meats that are easy to hold/eat without a plate like chicken legs/thighs/wings or ribs. Chicken legs are good for snacking if pre-cooked and kept cool.
    I just made some fudge babies which would be easy to transport and pop into hungry mouths. Fudge Babies

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Campfire?
    Big stove or one of the little hiking/single burner deals?

I haven't been camping since getting interested in this whole "primal" deal, but here are some of my favorites that seem compatible (correct me if wrong)...

Dutch oven frittata is good. Can be made with just about anything so long as you have eggs (which keep surprisingly well).

Foil and stick cooking have been mentioned.

Beyond the obvious jerkey and dried sausages, the drier styles of smoked salmon (fish in general) is wonderful for snacking on if you can afford it, and will keep fine for a camping trip. Maybe not the best thing to have in your pocket in bear country though.

Hard boiled eggs keep surprisingly well too, even without a cooler.

Apples and the like, of course.

Olives are great for snacking and adding flavor to other foods.

Pickles (not just cucumber), sauerkraut, tsukemono, etc have worked well for me.

I could go on (I love camping)....

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    Ah! those are great ideas. and I am totally going to try to make fudge babies, seems easy enough!
    Loving my primal life

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Another which I haven't personally tried but have thought of is Pemmican. Seems like it should be high on the primal index despite the dried fruit. Pemmican Recipes

There is also stuff like this "Coconut Crack Bar" recipe:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread72052.html ... looks very sweet to me but it looks like prime camp food for short hikes and the like.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Pork kebabs = crack. Buy some pork shoulder, cut into 1" cubes, then marinate with the juice of one lemon, salt, pepper, and onion for about 30 minutes.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Pre-make some foil packs. Fold foil into pouches (maybe 2 layers, to be safer) and fill up with seriously ANY combination of meat, veggies, and spices (and butter!). Stick them in the edge of the fire, wait til you hear them hissing/bubbling for a few minutes, then pull them off and eat 'em. It's really hard to screw up, and FANTASTIC when you get a good batch.
    I remember these from my Girl Scout days. We called them Turtles. Honestly, it's the only thing I remember about that trip, they were that good.

Another good traveling food is salami or any hard sausage. Just peel the paper as you go and it'll last a really long time, even with no refrigeration.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I second the suggestion of eggs, they really don't need to be refrigerated unless it's super hot outside. Same with hard cheeses. Tuna pouches are great for snacks/quick lunches. Any sort of meat you can grill, you can cook over a fire. Foil pouches are great for veggies. We lived in our travel trailer at state parks for 9 months and even though I had a kitchen in the camper, I've cooked everything from bratwurst to spaghetti squash over a campfire/grill. One of my fave day hike picnic lunches was tuna, turkey, cucumber slices, cheese, baby carrots, olives, and mini-Larabars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast