Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutrition specifically for longevity - what's your take? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Nutrition specifically for longevity - what's your take?

Primal Fuel
    So I'm high-fat, which should limit the need for insulin and help my pancreas last longer so I don't catch the diabeetus too soon. I eat lots of anti-inflammatory spices to prevent systemic damage from inflammation. I drink a half-pot of coffee to protect my nerves from degeneration, and put a cup of coconut milk in it so I have instant ketones and better (higher) cholesterol numbers. I eat two brazil nuts a week to chelate excess heavy metals from my organ meats. I also eat a bag of organic green apples every week when I'm not going keto because of several substances found in them that are supposed to increase lifespans of many creatures (yeah, those usually end with a product hock, but there really were good results with whole green apples fed to animals!). Then I eat basic paleo designed my way to hit all micronutrient standards so I don't develop any deficiencies. What do YOU do as an ace in the hole for long life, aside from avoiding toxins and allergens (which we're all already doing anyway)? Any special food/substance you're rolling the dice on?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Not to be rude or anything but with that description it sounds you are an "orthorexic" and are over thinking things too much.

otzi Guest
    Good topic. I eat about 4oz of oysters every day, a sheet of dried seaweed every week, liver and bone broth every week. Otherwise, diet is low carb PB.

Other things I do for my health: Oil Pulling, 20 min/day w/sesame or sunflower oil. Deep breathing exercises (10 deep breaths and hold as long as possible). Cold Thermogenesis (keep office at 65 deg, walk/sprint outdoors in light clothing in winter). Bedroom pitch black. Seasonal eating (keto Nov-Feb).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I believe genes are a huge part of longevity. I also believe that you can lengthen or shorten your life by your habits. It isn't unusual for many of the people in my family (over the entire weight spectrum of too skinny to as wide as they were tall) to live into their 80s and there are a few instances of 90s, which isn't a huge increase over the average life expectancy in the US, but every year counts. Both of my parents died in their 70s. Both led very disappointing tumultuous lives with my father being a heavy smoker and my mother being a heavy eater and at the end of her life a heavy eater of many processed foods.

I've pursued a simpler life. I don't care if I have the nicest car on the block, and I sure as shit wouldn't go into debt to have it. My profession based on my degree was stressful and too full of politics, so I worked my way down the corporate ladder to a place that lets me leave my job at my job. My home is quiet. Anyone who brings agitation into my home is asked to leave. So, I think that is the most important thing I've done. Get rid of external stressors to the best of my ability.

So, my ace in the hole is my genes. I figure if I don't screw with my body too much, I have the building blocks upon which to live a pretty long life. Of course a big part of that is diet. So, I try to eat as wholesomely as possible. But that's it. I'm not a slave to macros, though my favorite foods are not carb laden, and I average (when I took time to track) <100 grams per day of carbs easily. I drink alcohol. I even sneak a cigarette when I'm with friends who smoke.

But after all that, I live with the philosophy that when man plans, god laughs. IOW, you can be the healthiest, fittest, buffest mf on the planet, and some drunk in a car can jump the curb and squash you like a bug. So, I don't worry about it too much.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Good topic. I eat about 4oz of oysters every day, a sheet of dried seaweed every week, liver and bone broth every week. Otherwise, diet is low carb PB.
    I do something similar I guess. I have salmon most daily, with my eggs. I have at least 1/4lb of liver per week. This week I actually got DH to eat some, but not holding my breath that he will do it again anytime soon. And I am trying to have bone broth most daily, put certainly weekly.

I like the idea of such a list. Does green tea do anything? I have been trying to drink a few cups of that per day.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's all just fuzzy science, correlation and extrapolation. I would think green tea could help you live longer, yes, but it's just a guess. I'd suspect the theobromine/caffeine combo would fight stress, and the way it wipes the redness from my skin indicates it's very anti-inflammatory. But ten years from now they'll probably start screaming about anti-inflammatory food causing some other problem, anyway.

Oh, yeah! I also put a handful of cocoa nibs in with my coffee beans before grinding them for a choc/coffee hybrid.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Kookie is offline Junior Member
    How about intermittent fasting? We watched a very interesting program exploring the benefits of intermitent fasting to help you live longer based on the notion that whilst fasting, your IGF1 (insulin-like growth factor) hormone turns on genes that start to repair your body. BBC News - The power of intermittent fasting

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I eat salmon with bones and skin almost daily. I eat oysters and liver periodically. I hike and backpack often. Lift weights, sprint a little, get some real sunshine almost daily.

I'm already pretty old, considering what life spans once were.

I do fuck up my chances pretty badly by riding a motorcycle daily.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Once I get my gut issues under control, I'm back to focusing on mental health (definitely a correlation there). THEN I'll worry about longevity. I mostly just want to feel sane for as long as possible, even if that doesn't end up being as long as other people. I'd rather die younger, happier, than die sad and old.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If it works for you and you enjoy eating everything, great. Personally, I don't care about living longer, just about looking good now and enjoying my food without over thinking it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast