Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nutrition specifically for longevity - what's your take? page 4

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JEL62 View Post
    From what I've read, it seems like calorie restriction rather than specific foods, is really the way to go for increasing longevity.

Makes sense to me, anyway.
    There's a lot of truth to this.

However, if you can increase the positive results of calorie restriction and fasting by eating healthy, then why wouldn't you?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm with drumroll on this one. IF is more efficient than CR (and easier too) and shows the same results scientifically (at this point, no mouse studies have been done, and there's not enough human study for CR for us to know whether it works in humans).

For me, the point is to live well as long as I live -- so that, like the great yoga masters, you either A. just die one night/evening (that's when they usually do it for some reason) or B. get an infection, have two weeks to get all affairs in order, and die.

I would much rather die while living -- being able to use my body, my mind, my joints, and enjoy life -- than living a long, degenerative death where body goes, then mind, and then, you know, you finally die attached to a lot of machines at great expense to your estate and your heirs. That's just silly in my mind.

So, I figure I'll live a long time (barring anything surprising), but my main focus is on looking and feeling good along the way.

And I think that basic PB/paleo plus IF and yoga are a pretty good way to achieve this.

Zoe, if all it takes to extend life is fasting/calorie restriction, then it's easy enough. But you're 100% spot on. Why live longer if you can't be healthy enough to enjoy it? This is why one would optimally combine fasting with healthy eating habits.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to overcome CVD. My nutrition strategy, apart from no-grain (white rice excepted), only have pulses rarely and cooking with saturated fats, is:

* IF two days a week, eating only dinner on those days
    * BAS with canned oily fish and sauerkraut five days per week
    * Breakfast of an offal curry (extra chilli and turmeric) five days per week
    * A cup of strong cocoa (100% cocoa with hot water - no milk or sugar) each night
    * 100-150g cheese with 250ml red wine each night (K2 in the cheese and resveratrol in the wine)
    * Limit red meat to 2-3 times per week for dinner, with a focus on meat on the bone. Seafood other time although my wife cooks chicken too often
    * Lots of fresh and cooked vegies
    * Grren tea or coffee each day
    * Supplement with D3 and Zn and apply Mg topically

I really have no objective way to know if it's working but I am a lot healthier than I was
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    also, drumroll -- good movement that keeps the body healthy.

yoga -- when done properly -- is extremely therapeutic for the body, while also being weight bearing so it does all of that good stuff. It helps reduce stress on the body, too -- which makes a big difference on overall health and wellbeing.

then, of course, you also need good socialization.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    also, drumroll -- good movement that keeps the body healthy.

yoga -- when done properly -- is extremely therapeutic for the body, while also being weight bearing so it does all of that good stuff. It helps reduce stress on the body, too -- which makes a big difference on overall health and wellbeing.

then, of course, you also need good socialization.
    Agreed. I left exercise out of my original post because of the specific reference to what we do nutritionally speaking, but you are totally correct on all points. Good on you for bringing up the socialization piece. I think good socialization has positive effects mostly in that it makes us WANT to stay alive longer (because we enjoy our lives more), and our body actually translates this mental drive to live longer in a physiological way by increasing our health.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Number one killer of elderly is ...retirement. So continuing to have purpose in life is an obvious factor. Many of the "blue zones" are known for treating their elderly with respect and continue to hold their input in high esteem.

I would assume avoiding massive trauma and toxic substances has to rate high on the list of longevity also. Car wrecks, concussions, broken bones and internal trauma....even if you mend will likely leave you in a reduced state of health that doesn't bode well for longevity.

Otherwise I'm betting on a "low insulin" diet and IF'ing being best for longevity.

I really like to look at the whole circumstances though through the allostatic load model Allostatic load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It makes the most sense to me (defined in modern terms and science vs. the stuff by Hans Selye...which I still haven't gotten around to actually reading first hand).

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    There's a lot of truth to this. However, if you can increase the positive results of calorie restriction and fasting by eating healthy, then why wouldn't you?
    Absolutely! I just assumed from the thread title that we were speaking only of specific proven ways to increase lifespan. My bad. Nothing happens in a vacuum though and reading up on the blue zones has been very interesting to me. I think several other posters mentioned that a strong sense of community and purpose is a huge factor as well, and I agree with that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234