Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition specifically for longevity - what's your take? page 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I do fuck up my chances pretty badly by riding a motorcycle daily.
    Oh geesh, thanks for the reminder. And then add my horse into the mix....

Actually, the harley is why I started to lose weight in the first place. The final push I guess. Never mind that my BP was on the rise, I was close to diabetic, straight sugar in my veins, and all that jazz. The truth is, I didnt want to be the old fat chick on the back of the harley. I could handle one or the other, but not both :P
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I drink lots of different kinds of tea in order to maximize the benefits from the different concentration of phytochemicals and anti-oxidants within them. For example, black tea was shown as very cardio protective in multiple studies, green and white teas have the most potent anti-cancer effects, oolong tea raises metabolic rate the most, and pu-erh tea aids in digestion and has been shown to have cholesterol lowering effects on par with statins.

I also drink lots of yerba mate for its reported benefits in aidng with appetite suppression (useful for fasting) and its ability to increase utilization of fat as an energy source.

I engage in a one-meal-a-day plan to help me control my overall caloric intake and this has worked amazingly. I dabble in longer fasts for the effects of autophagy.

I eat a very low carb diet (at least relative to a lot of people), designed also to help keep me from binging and therefore gaining weight. I eat a wide range of low-carb veggies for their wonderful nutritional benefits, consume lots of saturated and monounsaturated fats for sustained energy release...

Lastly, I get lots of probiotics through my consumption of fermented veggies and I can tell you that my gut loves me for this.

Just my bucket list of things that may help me to live longer (not including the exercise which is not specifically nutrition related).

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    For MY mental health: daily selenium, D3 and multivitamin. I also aim for 100-150g carbs/ day, as this is what n=1 experimentation has shown me to need to stay out of the mental danger zone. I also stay away from processed sugar, for the same reason.
    In what we eat, it's mostly chicken and beef, but I get seafood at least once a week and bone broth whenever we use it in a recipe (~2-3 times a week). Plenty of spices and herbs (including turmeric, peppers, and cardamom.) Most of what we eat is pretty colorful, excluding blue and purple. Plenty of vegetation; no meal is complete without at least two veggies in it somewhere. I drink exclusively water and plain tea (green, white, oolong, and black, with a little rooibos occasionally), so those are there to aid me.
    None of this (besides the mental health pills) is purely for longevity. It's just what I tend to eat and drink.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Once I get my gut issues under control, I'm back to focusing on mental health (definitely a correlation there). THEN I'll worry about longevity. I mostly just want to feel sane for as long as possible, even if that doesn't end up being as long as other people. I'd rather die younger, happier, than die sad and old.
    You are addressing your longevity by focusing on mental health. Stress ages you faster than probably most any food.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm not sure about longevity, but for my overall well being i fast almost daily, eat a can of sardines most days (any recommendations for canned oysters), am no stranger to eggs, supplement with D, magnesium, k2, and a food based multi for men. i also walk/bike a lot, sprint a little, and lift myself a few times per week, sleep 6-7+ solid hours a night, learn or try at least one new thing every week...

...i may stray from time to time, but i think mostly i live pretty close to the ten primal laws.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    You are addressing your longevity by focusing on mental health. Stress ages you faster than probably most any food.
    True. It's all connected though. Stress, inflammation, mental health, gut health, etc. All issues I am struggling with. Still hoping there's ONE cause I can pinpoint, address, and start to improve ALL those things.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i'm not sure about longevity, but for my overall well being i fast almost daily, eat a can of sardines most days (any recommendations for canned oysters), am no stranger to eggs, supplement with D, magnesium, k2, and a food based multi for men. i also walk/bike a lot, sprint a little, and lift myself a few times per week, sleep 6-7+ solid hours a night, learn or try at least one new thing every week...

...i may stray from time to time, but i think mostly i live pretty close to the ten primal laws.
    Assuming the sardines for the fish oil/Omega 3s?

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil, a supplement for my thyroid, fish oil and multivitamin/mineral. The rest I get from my food.

I don't know that I necessarily take these things in order to live longer, I guess in a way I do. But moreso I do it because I want to feel good right now.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I have sex frequently.

Completely unscientific, but I figure if your body/mind thinks you are still trying to reproduce, it better keep you going. And, it makes you happy and relaxed.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I have sex frequently.
    DH must want me to live forever
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast