Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brings the fastest results weights, kettlebells or bodyweight? page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

What brings the fastest results weights, kettlebells or bodyweight?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I understand it's not a sprint but marathon when it comes to overall fitness. But I just would like to know what can transform my body into a ripped machine in the fastest time?

I have to say eating Primal/Paleo I feel a lot better and have more energy. I currently have a gym membership which is a 5 minute drive from my house. Sadly it's not a Crossfit gym. Too expensive for me to join right now. Now this gym I am a member of has weights and machines available. Also the trainers in the gym are wayyyyy
    too much money. So that's out of the question. They also have Kettlebells in this gym too which surprised me.

I basically go into this gym right now looking all around the equipment not knowing what to do. I also have a pullup/dip station here at my house. I bought this from a friend a while ago for a very good price:

Amazon.com: Weider 200 Power Tower: Sports & Outdoors

I wanted to ask the Fitness experts in these forums on what can bring the fastest results.

To tell you a bit about myself. I am a 31 year old male, 5'7 1/2 tall, I weigh 180 pounds. I prefer that lean ripped look.

So what do you recommend I should do? Thanks for reading.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    What brings the fastest results is hard work. Anybody that says "x" tool is better over any other is just trying to sell you something. Dabble in all, pick the one you like the most and focus on intensity. Make sure you rest and continue to eat right. I would say make sure to sprint once a week as well, that seems to be a tried and true fat burner AND muscle builder.

Since you have the power tower at home, build or buy a weight vest and make sure to do weight pull ups and dips. Add in a sandbag or something similar for heavy squats and you're practically set. Most of your fat loss is going to come from smart food intake, not so much from how much you sweat it out at the gym.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What iniQuity said.

Lots of good ways to train depending on your goals the important thing is to train.

I have done the heavy barbell training and I love my kettlebells. Choose a good starting barbell program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts and stick to it. If you feel you won't be able to make the gym 3 times per week create a good bodyweight program for home based around pullups, pressups dips and bodyweight squats.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 11-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I was looking into getting a weighted vest. Thank you for the response by the way and also to Dirlot. What starting weighted vest should I buy? The ones at the stores range from 20 pounds to 40 pounds. The ones online are the heaviest up to 100 pounds.

Thanks Dirlot. I will look into those barbell programs.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    either will work, but it's pretty tricky to train legs without weights, if you're going for muscle or brute strength. actually, all answers will hinge on how you define 'results,' but you can't go too wrong with either approach.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxguy0481 View Post
    I was looking into getting a weighted vest. Thank you for the response by the way and also to Dirlot. What starting weighted vest should I buy? The ones at the stores range from 20 pounds to 40 pounds. The ones online are the heaviest up to 100 pounds.

Thanks Dirlot. I will look into those barbell programs.
    I wouldn't bother buying a vest under 50lbs, if all the added resistance you can manage for now is 20lbs or so, buy a dumbbell of that weight and put it on a book bag. Once you're ready for 50lbs you should get a vest, you can still use that 20lb dumbbell hooed around your legs to do pull ups/dips with 70lbs' added weight - that's what I do currently.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    In my personal experience, the quickest way to gain is by exhausting the muscle(s) in as short amount of time as possible using high intensity training (HIT). You need to be sure and give enough rest between workouts. Body by Science recommends on one workout per week. Years ago, a friend and I did a 3-day per week 40 minute HIT bodybuilding workout. I gained 14lbs in six weeks (he gains 16lbs). We both increased significantly on all our lifts. But it was too much in a week's worth of exercise at that level of intensity. At the end of 6 weeks we were both shot in the ass from over training.

VIDEOS
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'd spend a little more time getting to grips with exactly what you want before rushing off into this program or buying that bit of equipment. After reading your post it actually comes across that you don't really care about fitness and you're more interested in aesthetics - and that'll make a big difference when it comes to your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    I'd spend a little more time getting to grips with exactly what you want before rushing off into this program or buying that bit of equipment. After reading your post it actually comes across that you don't really care about fitness and you're more interested in aesthetics - and that'll make a big difference when it comes to your answer.
    Actually not true I really care more about fitness. Aesthetics is a plus to have. I just thought the fitter you are the more ripped you are.You see I'm currently looking for work. My current job is not providing enough hours for me. I would start working at 6 in the morning and come back home around 10 a.m. I'm going to school online right now and still looking for full time work. The reason I'm looking into getting in shape fast is because the jobs I'm applying for require you that you be in shape. I've been applying for warehouse and general labor type jobs.

One job I was applying for consisted of unloading trailers and the merchandise was 75-110 pounds. I would struggle with the 75 pounds right now.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Once you have your diet dialed in you are 80% there. If you want to sculpt your body and really change the way you look you need to do weights and sprints. If you are looking at getting in great shape then a combination of body weight exercises, sprints and kettle bells would be what I would suggest. Wishing you the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast