Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Commune page 2

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I would definitely love a primal commune, so long as it was primal + libertarian haha

I do kinda like the idea the host of The Survival Podcast has put forth a couple of times. Buy say a hundred acres. Set aside X amount for roads, a community center, playground/sports complex, etc. Than take the remaining land and divide it into equal plots half an acre, acre, three acres, whatever and then put the lots on the market. No HOA. Just so long as you don't do anything that encroaches on your neighbors in a negative way, you can do whatever you want...you want goats in your backyard? Just make sure to fence them in. Etc. I like that idea....I'm just not overly big on the whole throw everything in a pile and share evenly mindset of a lot of communes (or at least their stereotype). Maybe have some kind of community thing where everyone who puts work into it get some profit (maybe a community herd of wool sheep...Idk), but that's it..

I already have the goal to buy 1-3 acres and permaculture the hell out of it...would definitely prefer a few other families of the same mindset near me.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I would love to start a free-range elk & bison ranching commune in the Southwest somewhere (maybe Colorado?). It would definitely be Primal-friendly. My vision would be a semi-permanent community (some permanent and some temporary inhabitants) where the operational tasks and incomes of the ranch would be shared by all the permanent residents, with seasonal or provisional work available for people passing through or deciding whether they want to move in. Each individual, group or family would be provided a living space and a private garden, with freedom to change living arrangements by mutual agreement as desired. There would need to be some sort of vetting process for new members where unanimous consent of the existing residents would be required for anyone new to move in permanently.

The idea would be that everyone gets their basic needs provided through the ranching income, in exchange for a few hours a week of work on the ranch from each person. We'd maintain community recreation and work-spaces that anyone could then use to pursue their own projects doing whatever interests them, with a small fraction of any income derived from these projects contributed to the communal pot and the rest going to the creator as personal income. The ranch could provide secondary income through sustainable lumber harvesting, selling surplus garden products, beekeeping, etc.

I'd prefer to work on a unanimous-consensus model for decision making so it would be important to keep the resident population low-ish; not sure where it starts to get unwieldy to make decisions that way, but I would think not more than 100 people or so.

If you can't tell, I've thought about this before.
    Make it happen! haha I'd definitely come out to help with that.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    Hey, Uncephalized, I'd like to come live/work with your group.

I can garden, and I'm a helluva cook. My husband is, at heart, an appliance repair person (basically anything. If it's broke, he can usually fix it).

Let us know when this materializes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    Make it happen! haha I'd definitely come out to help with that.
    Lemme know when you guys get access to a few million bucks to buy several square miles of decent mixed woods and fields with water access, and a few dozen animals to seed a herd, and I'll get to work finding some people to fill out the roster, eh? I know a large-animal vet-in-training and a few medical students... not too many carpenters or husbandry experts in my circle though... I mostly know nerdy engineering and science types, being one myself.

It also occurs to me that eastern OR/WA might be an ideal area... lots of grazeland and wooded hills out there and land's not expensive. Kind of out in the boonies, but it might be workable near Bend or the Tri Cities. Hmm...

EDIT: Yup. Thought as much.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 11-27-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Lemme know when you guys get access to a few million bucks to buy several square miles of decent mixed woods and fields with water access, and a few dozen animals to seed a herd, and I'll get to work finding some people to fill out the roster, eh? I know a large-animal vet-in-training and a few medical students... not too many carpenters or husbandry experts in my circle though... I mostly know nerdy engineering and science types, being one myself.

It also occurs to me that eastern OR/WA might be an ideal area... lots of grazeland and wooded hills out there and land's not expensive. Kind of out in the boonies, but it might be workable near Bend or the Tri Cities. Hmm...

EDIT: Yup. Thought as much.
    I'm in college and planning on becoming a teacher...I can maybe contribute $10? lol That and my tools and carpentry skills (but someone else has to handle the electrical...f**k that noise...this moose doesn't do electrical.

In all seriousness, try western and northern Idaho. Very similar terrain to OR and Washington and usually a little cheaper.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I don't have all the skills needed but I am working on acquiring them and am a quick learner, as well as a hard worker. I want just enough land for a garden and some animals. And a community of like minded people. I like to have my own space but believe in the idea of small communities where each takes care of themselves as well as whoever else needs.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I don't have all the skills needed but I am working on acquiring them and am a quick learner, as well as a hard worker. I want just enough land for a garden and some animals. And a community of like minded people. I like to have my own space but believe in the idea of small communities where each takes care of themselves as well as whoever else needs.
    That's my goal. 1-3 acres. Heavy permaculture. Dairy goats, chickens, pigeons, rabbits, flightless ducks, pigs (all this is depending on how much space I have). Produce my own electricity. Well. Etc etc. And than have a few other families do the same thing. Own space. Produce our own stuff. BUT we look out for each other. We get together as a community. We share. Say I have way more eggs than me and my family could ever eat...but for some reason, I don't have any apple trees. Than one neighbor has a few apple trees, but no chickens..exchange time....that would be my ideal.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    I like the idea in principle, but it's definetly not for me! I'd worry about it getting culty, and I get cabin fever when shut up with only a select few people to talk to everyday. Especially if it was out in the arse end of nowhere, and I was fiscally tied to the place.

I'd love to have my own (as far as feasible) self-sustaining small holding, like most people on here. Somewhere in Northern Italy perhaps...
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    I like the idea in principle, but it's definetly not for me! I'd worry about it getting culty, and I get cabin fever when shut up with only a select few people to talk to everyday. Especially if it was out in the arse end of nowhere, and I was fiscally tied to the place.

I'd love to have my own (as far as feasible) self-sustaining small holding, like most people on here. Somewhere in Northern Italy perhaps...
    Shhhhhhhhhh....it's okay, just join us...we got tasty Kool-aide.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    I'll stay until the ritualised orgies get boring.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

The words orgies and boring don't belong in the same sentence.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast