Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dizzy, light headed. Not sure why???? page

sed777 is offline Junior Member

Dizzy, light headed. Not sure why????

Primal Fuel
    Started going primal October 13th.
    Since then i've felt great.
    Eliminated all candy, sweets, most grains (beer the occasional sunday football exception).
    Using organic/grass fed as budget allows.
    Now cows milk, but having cottage cheese, fermented cheeses and little sour cream.

I've dropped 16 lbs in the first 3 weeks, however have not lost a lb in the last 3.
    Exercise has been limited, mostly getting in a 30 min during lunch break.

Something has changed starting thanksgiving. After dinner i felt really weird. I did not indulge on any on primal approved foods other than candied yams. I thought after, wow is that little bit of sugar on the yams really effecting me that much??

On friday after i ate breakfast (3 eggs and 2 sausage patties) i began to feel like i had low blood sugar. Almost like when i over eat a large high carbo meal.

Forced myself to work out thinking it might make me feel better... after i forced myself to eat lunch since i knew i needed calories. Leftover turkey, green beans and broccoli with GF butter. Same result.

On sunday morning i had lefteover ground beef with peppers and shallots with 2 eggs. same damn light headed dizzy sensation. so an hour later i ate an apple and felt a little better.

Last night when explaining to my wife whats going on, she told me to have a 4 oz glass of OJ and see if it makes you feel better. It did, but i dunno if its placebo or what not. No dinner..wasn't hungry.

This morning omw to work... no breakfast yet, but same damn sensation.

Slammed a Muscle milk light protein shake (no, not primal approved, but i have a lot left over before i started) in hopes that it might help, but as i type this i feel like i have a wicked hangover and don't wanna pick my head up.

I'm curious to know if anyone has insight or experienced this themselves.

It seems odd to me this is a blood sugar issue, but one never knows. I'm gonna put some sugar in my coffee to see if it helps.

AussieNana is offline Member
    I had a few problems and my husband had lots of problems being light headed during the first 6 months of going paleo this time. I asked around and others have had the problem too. One doc (integrative medicine and MD) suggested it was due to low adrenal function and or thyroid issues. We were on thyroid supplements already so I focussed on meditation to try to improve things. It helped a little. My husband isn't complaining of being dizzy when he sits up in the morning any more so its likely to have reduced in severity or I'd have continued to hear about it.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    sausage patties?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I went to my Dr. and he tested my blood pressure in 3 positions and it was fine. Glucose levels and anemia were ok.
    I explained my dietary changes and he commended me on the weight loss, but believe it or not he suggested i try eating more simple sugars to see if it helps. Sent me with some lab work to get done.

So for now im thinking i might try a few smaller meals matching proteins with more fruits and veggies. Hoping the fruits provide a little more sugar. I do not want to resort to eating any grains, but if this keeps up ill have to think about it.

Its strange because im not that hungry anymore and a plate of 6oz of pulled pork and 1.5 cup of broccoli/cauliflower/squash mix keeps me full for close to 8 hours...

If anyone else has any similar stories please share. I do not want to give up, but im am definitely not enjoying this stage!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sed777 View Post
    Something has changed starting thanksgiving. After dinner i felt really weird. I did not indulge on any on primal approved foods other than candied yams. I thought after, wow is that little bit of sugar on the yams really effecting me that much??
    I'd have thought it possible that switching between different types of eating could have thrown a spanner in the works.

Last night when explaining to my wife whats going on, she told me to have a 4 oz glass of OJ and see if it makes you feel better. It did, but i dunno if its placebo or what not.
    Sounds likely enough. Better a small piece of fruit if that would do the trick, though.

I'm curious to know if anyone has insight or experienced this themselves.
    There are opinions around on this. I did hit the floor once after standing suddenly. Orthostatic hypotension with a vengeance. At the time I was eating fairly low carb and was also not using much salt.

It seems that going low carb can cause your kidneys to dump both water and sodium. There are effects from that. There's a classic article on this which is worth the reading:

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Maybe it all sorts itself out over the long term?

In the meantime, use a little more salt (preferably broad-spectrum seasalt) and some magnesium (possibly potassium, too). A cup or so of broth a day can help. And, yeah, you could try a little more fruit.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Maybe its carb flu, and its temporary. Power through.

Or maybe its actually the flu, or some other virus you picked up over the holiday. Not every ailment/symptom correlates to diet change.

Instead of testing your blood sugar theories with non-primal, or non-optimal foods (sugar, OJ, shakes), why not add some more optimal foods like potatoes or rice?

And don't 'force' yourself to eat when you're not hungry. Part of eating for optimal health is listening to your body's hunger cues. The other part is choosing nutrient dense, clean foods. The biggest phenomenon - for me - with transitioning to primal, is how long I can go between meals, and how seldom I feel true hunger.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    I had the same thing over the first six months or so after going Primal. It went away with no special treatment.
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It could be the electrolytes from water loss. Check that Dr. Eades page linked above. Very often after a month of doing fine you suddenly feel worse and that's from all the water + electrolytes you've lost.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Awesome insight and resources!
    My wife was trying to get me to eat a piece of toast with peanut butter last night!!!

This would explain why im craving bananas! I had a banana sliced up with almond butter drizzled over it and two fried eggs for dinner!

I had a half of a banana for breakfast with a cup of full fat cottage cheese and a few strawberries for breakfast.

Feel better than yesterday, but not normal by any means!

I've never been a huge salt adder to meals post cooking that is. Lunch today had a liberal amount.

Got left over magnesium from my father in law who had a stroke in may and cant take it anymore cause it gave him loose you know what.

Looks like ill be supplement shopping Friday!! (and its macadamia nut Friday!!)

Again thank you all for sharing. Its nice to know that im not crazy and maybe symptoms will subside more so now that my wonderful anxiety should back off knowing what may be the cause(s).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yep, lytes for sure in most cases.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast