Thread: Pumpkin Seed Oil page

larrywagner212 is offline Junior Member

Pumpkin Seed Oil

Shop Now
    This stuff is delicious (better for dressing than cooking) and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about the nutritional aspects of pumpkin seed oil?

Thanks,

Larry

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Using the fatty acid info listed here (scroll down to see it):
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/n...roducts/3066/2

As with most nuts/seeds the omega-6: omega-3 ratio is pretty high (in this case ~100:1 it seems), and the overall PUFA content is also pretty high. That being said, Mark has recently posted about how nuts and seeds (and food in general) should not be treated as one nutrient that has certain properties. There are other compounds in a whole food that interact to modify how it affects health.

That being said, I think it's fine to use occasionally. If you get a mega-dose, it'd be a good idea to balance it out with some omega-3 from fish/fish oil.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-14-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: the : and o between omega-6 and omega-3 turned into a face! Haha

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    I agree on the 6:3 ratio. I definitely wouldn't use it to cook, but pumpkin seed oil has a number of compounds in it that promote prostate health, so the occasional dressing with it probably wouldn't be amiss.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

carmwoman is offline Junior Member
    I havent seen Pumpkin Seed Oil here in australia yet, but maybe it would be good to help eradicate the yeasts in our bodies.

Any other benefits?

Carmen