Thread: Sat fat bad - says book I'm reading. page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Sat fat bad - says book I'm reading.

I have started reading "The Ultimate Omega 3 diet" by Evelyn Tribole M.S., RD

And on page 230 I read "The saturated fats are the infamous artery clogging fats that raise blood cholesterol..... Our bodies have no need for saturated fat. Saturated fats interfere with the beneficial effects of omega 3's in the body"

I am now way past page 20, and so much of the information I find interesting, but this paragraph keeps making me question her other statements!

From the resume on the back cover the gist of the book is to massively reduce omega 6 intake and have sufficient omega 3 to balance out the ratios, but I fear that the anti sat fat theme will occur over and over.

Is there in fact any solid evidence that sat fats reduce the effectiveness of omega 3 fats?

The Scientist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I have started reading "The Ultimate Omega 3 diet" by Evelyn Tribole M.S., RD

And on page 230 I read "The saturated fats are the infamous artery clogging fats that raise blood cholesterol..... Our bodies have no need for saturated fat. Saturated fats interfere with the beneficial effects of omega 3's in the body"

I am now way past page 20, and so much of the information I find interesting, but this paragraph keeps making me question her other statements!

From the resume on the back cover the gist of the book is to massively reduce omega 6 intake and have sufficient omega 3 to balance out the ratios, but I fear that the anti sat fat theme will occur over and over.

Is there in fact any solid evidence that sat fats reduce the effectiveness of omega 3 fats?
    The author of this book is not a physician or a scientist. She is just a dietician repeating what others have told her. Does she cite references for her claims in the book? If so, what references does she give for the saturated fat claim? If not, she is either being lazy or misleading and her book is not worth your time.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    And since most of the fats in the artery blockages consist of PUFAs (not sat fat) I wouldn't give her book much credence.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Your book is wrong.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Your book is wrong.
    This is what I think too!