Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new standup desk page

texas.grok is online now Senior Member

My new standup desk

Shop Now
    Finally got my standup desk modification made. Quality is excellent, guy in Cairo made it. It is going to take some getting used to but I think the benefits of not sitting on my ass all day long will be great.

Here is a picture:

Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Looks nice. Can you get a separate keyboard set up below where your current keyboard is? It's a better angle for you to be typing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Looks nice. Can you get a separate keyboard set up below where your current keyboard is? It's a better angle for you to be typing in.
    I think that will be my next thing to do. I'm going to request a docking station with a monitor and keyboard then I can hack something together that will put the keyboard at a better level.

The Egyptians are convinced I'm crazy for doing this but then again, they thought I was crazy before I got my standup desk.
    Randal

Fossman is offline Member
    That is awesome, I recently asked my boss to get a stand up desk and have been loving it everyday

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I need to figure out a way to separate my keyboard from the monitor. Since I'm using my laptop I'm running into the problem where my head is looking down too much (not good for the neck) and my hands are up too high (my traps bother me after a while, I can't help shrugging, it's like a reflex or something) so I need a separate monitor to fix the issue.

However, I sit half the workday. I found, after doing the all day stand up thing, that it wasn't getting any easier, then I asked myself "when... the FUCK have we stood up all day in a single spot for prolonged periods of time?... never" so I typically start the day off standing, and after lunch I'll sit. I didn't notice any major improvements or differences after standing all day, so I decided I wouldn't do that anymore.

I did, of course, move about for water or to the bathroom, etc, but I still found all-day standing to not be worth it. I've worked as a waiter and bartender a few years (not anymore) so I know the difference between being on your feet but constantly moving, and just standing there and the latter is much more miserable. Good luck to you all though!

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Nice.

Now you just need a really slow treadmill to go with it. That'll cure the "single spot for prolonged periods" issue.

I actually made a treadmill desk and used it awhile. I wound up giving the treadmill part away (I had a neighbor below and aparently they could hear it through the floor) and scrapping the desk but it was really nice to be able to use my computer while actually doing something besides jiggle my knee. Since then I've been making due with a drafting table set level/as tall as it will go, which is basically standing height. I have a tall bar stool available if I want to sit at the computer. I also have my laptop in a dock with an external keyboard and a pair of large monitors to help with the ergonomics. There are some awesome multi-monitor stands available now if you have the $$$, but you don't really need them if you are OK with stacks of stuff on your desk.

amberh is offline Junior Member
    Check out the solutions offered by Staand Up Desk staandupdesk.com at Stand Up & Standing Desk, Monitor Riser, Keyboard Standup Desk. They are affordable, light, and easy to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post

jonepeteru is offline Banned
    so I need a separate monitor to fix the issue.

For those interested, thought I would give my first full day's report about my new standup desk.

Overall, pretty happy with it. Needs a bit of tweaking but overall, not bad. I have ordered a docking station for my laptop, having more options for viewing and typing will help.

Physically, yes, my feet do get a bit sore but that means I change positions a lot to take pressure off parts of my feet so at least I'm not as static as I was in a chair. I also get out and walk around more since I feel like I need more breaks than when I was sitting.

I seem to have more energy than when I'm sitting down all day, not as likely to try and nod off.

If anyone is interested, I have the plans for what I have that I can send out. Cost me about $150 USD to have built here but the quality of workmanship is fantastic. I'm sure it could be built for a lot less.
    Randal

Well, after 5 weeks off, I'm back in Egypt and adjusting to my standup desk. I submitted a request for a laptop docking station, monitor and keyboard before I left and they were waiting for me. Also brought back a mousepad with a wrist rest that helps a lot.

Overall, pretty pleased with my setup. I feel much more energized during the day. We work 9.5 hour days and I spend about 8 of that standing, at least. I hear "majnoon" a lot, Arabic for crazy but then again, I heard that a lot about me before I did the standup desk.

If you can get away with it, I think this is well worth the investment.
    Randal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast