26 15.29%
  • 80K or above

46 27.06%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Paleo Diet = Rich White People Diet? page 9

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    What's your answer now?
    Doesn't change my answer. Just serves to confuse me more. I know because of my apparent whiteness I am seen as 'less' of a Maori, so my skin colour is of significance. I also grew up in a Whangai situation where I was brought up by a white family - which means I was adopted by a close family friend or family member, in my case a family friend. So did my upbringing give me a position of priviliege or unearned advantage over my sibling who was not whangai? Not sure although it was certainly different. Growing up in NZ we are all fairly well exposed to educated in Maori culture even if we are quite removed from it like in my situation or even if you aren't Maori.

In NZ unfortunatley the lower socio-economic groups are over populated with Maori and Pacific Islanders, this impacts the food and lifestyle choices they make. I am do not fit into this group, but I am not rich and white more like 'almost rich and almost white'.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Considering personal net worth is a function of income and expenses, I'd have to agree with Uncephalized in terms of the technical definition of net worth, which is total assets - total debt.

If you have positive net worth, your income and expenses are the moving part that helps it jump up and down, potentially into the negatives. If your assets suddenly decline in level to a point that it is outshadowed by debt, it's your own fault for investing in that certain asset in the short term. Although liquidity is king right now, if you know how to time things correctly and manage your ffinances, your net worth shouldn't fluctuate to the red during a financial crisis. But this is assuming you had a good chunk of assets to work with to begin with.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Doesn't change my answer. Just serves to confuse me more.
    Hah...welcome to my world. That describes 99% of what everyone tells me about everything.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Considering personal net worth is a function of income and expenses, I'd have to agree with Uncephalized in terms of the technical definition of net worth, which is total assets - total debt.

If you have positive net worth, your income and expenses are the moving part that helps it jump up and down, potentially into the negatives. If your assets suddenly decline in level to a point that it is outshadowed by debt, it's your own fault for investing in that certain asset in the short term. Although liquidity is king right now, if you know how to time things correctly and manage your ffinances, your net worth shouldn't fluctuate to the red during a financial crisis. But this is assuming you had a good chunk of assets to work with to begin with.
    Agreed. My mortgage is due to be paid off in 11.5 years.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    I'm in my 40's. Income in 40,000 range. Went to college but did not graduate. Heritage is enlish, irish, lithuanian, and a smidge of americian indian: so mainly white.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm poor. I've found eliminating grains to be the main thing. Other than a few special foods like coconut oil, I am able to do just fine and actually my grocery bill is way down since I cut back on meat. That has been a personal experiment though. Am now thinking I need to add the meat back... and locate some liver.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Paleo is definitely not the diet of rich whites. Rich whites are the bulk of what we would term "the establishment". They are the ones who created SAD. Vegetarianism, or some kind of SAD compatible whole wheat, lean meats, and veggies diet is the diet of the white ruling class. Paleo is more the diet of anti-authority whites and is probably linked more to intellect and personality traits than annual income.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Given that definition then only people who can retire are rich. I don't think that's most people's definition of the word.

Here's an alternative:
    Rich = spending $5 less than you make
    Poor = spending $5 more than you make
    That's my definition, yes. If you have to work you're not rich. You may be very comfortable and you might have tons of income, but if you are not financially independent then you're dependent on someone else for your basic needs, and that means you're not rich. Obviously doesn't mean you're poor though--I would define poverty as not having enough cashflow to provide for your basic expenses.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    It is kinda my definition too.

Back when I was... oh.. 18 or so, I worked it out that at that time I needed 2.5 million dollars to be rich. That was the amount that would allow me to live comfortably as a pure capitalist.

Nowadays I add a nuance or two.

Main nuance: Replace retirement with "do what you want". A person whose passion is to own the best race horse in the world would not be rich at 2.5 million because those horses can cost more than that. On the other hand, a person whose passion is to be a judge may very well be rich as soon as they get a lifetime judicial appointment even though their net worth is low and the income from the appointment is low.

It is possible to be rich without a lot of money, and without working. All it takes is for your existence and/or your avocations to provide enough compensation to allow you to maintain your existence and avocations in the style you desire.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    47-year-old female German/Irish with a personal income in the $40k range, but household is closer to double that when you figure in The Boyfriend's pay. He's Swedish/Choctaw but doesn't eat Primal or Paleo. As far as my place on the ladder, I would place myself solidly in the L3 category for now (not sure about the BF - maybe a G3?)

ETA: Income levels are going to be (literally) all over the map with regard to "wealth". A number like $75k (for one person) is going to be more than enough in many smaller towns while barely scraping by in other larger metroplitan areas.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 11-30-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast