• 60K to 79K

26 15.29%
  • 80K or above

46 27.06%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Paleo Diet = Rich White People Diet? page 8

Ljphalen is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I take home about $1500 per month. After rent, hydro, food and phone bills I have money left over. I am rich.

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    Iím white and of a lower income, but Iím still in school.

However, concerning the topic, I heard this criticism once before, and it remains as vapid then as it does now. There is a lot of legitimate science to show Paleolithic style diets are healthier than the average American diet. Just because non-whites either canít afford to eat this way or refuse to do it doesnít make it any less valid.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Student. I eat a lot of food at my parents house but when I cook for myself I buy British pork mine or pork shoulder/belly pork with vegetables like broccoli, leeks and celeriac. It comes up about £6 a day in food costs, which isn't bad.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    White, 180k range (combined), far from affluence. I can definitely see the association with "wealth" if you are buying all organic produce, grassfed/pastured meat/eggs and raw dairy; that can get kind of pricey (depending on location). You don't have to be rich but it would definitely help! Pay now or pay later...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'm guessing Lower Mainland or the Island?
    Born and raised
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    'Rich' is 50K more than you currently make.
    'Comfortable' is 10K more than you currently make.
    'not enough' or 'just enough' is what you currently make.
    Meh, for me "rich" is not about an income number, it's a net worth level high enough to generate enough passive income to supply all my needs at a modest consumption level. Given my current level of material consumption "rich" would be in the $800K-$1.2M range of income-generating assets.

If you have to work to eat, you are not rich.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Wealth ceased to correlate with income during the recent house price boom.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I'm feeling that buying power is quite different here in NZ, our 'price of living' is probably quite different to those in the US.

Although I fit into the upper income level on the poll, I'd not say that I'm rich at all, we know plenty of people who earn well over our income and some of them I'd call rich but not all. Very well off, is how I'd describe it.

Also, not sure how I fit into the 'white' profile either. Genetically I'm not white (or Pakeha as we call it here in NZ), but physically I look white - so does that make me white by default? My mum is Maori but I take after my Dad with green eyes, pale skin and blonde hair. My husband is Maori (and looks it) but has a white Dad, so does that make him more Pakeha than Maori? No idea what that makes our kids! When we fill out forms I always tick 'other' and write in New Zealander, saves hassles.

I didn't notice any jump in our grocery bill when I switched to primal eating, although so far I'm the only one out of the four of us to do so. I probably spent more than average on food anyway because I didn't do processed crap even before Primal, and I'll always choose a more expensive item if it is what I consider better for me over a cheaper not so good for me item. My generous income allows me to make these choices.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Also, not sure how I fit into the 'white' profile either.
    Just to state the obvious...

"White" in the US is a way to say "lacking diversity" in a pejorative way, with a nuance of "sheltered" or perhaps "unfairly empowered". In other words, it's a way to say that something isn't meaningful because the type of people associated with it are homogenous (with the implication that they must exclude others to become homogenous) and have a narrow viewpoint that comes from isolated existence in a position of privilege. It has racial connotations but it also borrows from "white bread", as in, "she's so white bread...."

Asking for "genetic" race misses the point of the insult. The question is, Are you enjoying an unearned advantage over your fellow humans based on something superficial (such as the color of your skin)? Because if you are your views are less meaningful. Or perhaps it is, Can I dismiss you by claiming you enjoy an unearned advantage? Because if I can that may be socially beneficial within my clique.

What's your answer now?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Meh, for me "rich" is not about an income number, it's a net worth level high enough to generate enough passive income to supply all my needs at a modest consumption level. Given my current level of material consumption "rich" would be in the $800K-$1.2M range of income-generating assets.

If you have to work to eat, you are not rich.
    Given that definition then only people who can retire are rich. I don't think that's most people's definition of the word.

Here's an alternative:
    Rich = spending $5 less than you make
    Poor = spending $5 more than you make
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast