35 20.59%
  • 60K to 79K

26 15.29%
  • 80K or above

46 27.06%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Paleo Diet = Rich White People Diet? page 7

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    oh is that poll take home? Cause I think I voted in the wrong bracket! Hey---I'm mostly of Slovak descent---and have NEVER broken a bone!! Interesting side poll there...

I feel way poorer than most people in our town, but way richer in our simplicity of life! We choose to spend more money on food than any other expense...and live on one teacher's income for a family of four!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I'm a student so I only work part-time, putting me in the lower bracket for now. I'm Magyar/Italian Norman. Once, a girl in high school heard me speaking Magyar on the phone with my mother, and when I hung up she asked me what language that was, and after I told her she looked really surprised and said, "I didn't know you were European, I always thought you were white!" I asked her where she thought white people came from. She thought about it for a minute and proudly declared, "I know, white people come from England!" So, according to her logic, though I may be European, I'm apparently not white.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You know who does a "poor" version of almost primal? People of Mexican descent. With the exception of corn products (because in Mexico, they grow 20+ varieties of corn and they haven't turned it into crap food yet), those carts are filled with inexpensive cuts of meat, and fresh veggies.
    Word. When we visit relatives in the US (southern Idaho), I have a field day in the local Walmart buying beef cheeks and kidneys, stuff that can't be bought where we live (white, and relatively affluent).

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Female, white, 29 y/o, no college. I make 36K a year in an office job where I have a lot of free time and am my own manager. Living in So California and having a car payment, I am financially just getting by. I have no credit cards or loans and live entirely paycheck to paycheck with little to no savings. I am as you can probably tell, really bad at managing my money. :P

You don't *have* to eat organic to make primal food choices and I think that a lot of the confusion on cost of eating paleo/primal may come from. It is preferred for many things but it is not *required.*

peril is offline Senior Member
    Why is anyone answering the race question when the poll is about income?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Why is anyone answering the race question when the poll is about income?
    Because the criticism is of Paleo/Primal being a "rich WHITE person's diet." We were only given a poll with one half of the question, so this is how the other half is answered.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    White, 3rd generation Canadian with Dutch, Irish, Ukranian ancestry. With a combined household income around $100k Canadian. We are well fed and content, but nowhere close to rich, or even luxurious. We live a simple, comfortable lifestyle in a small house, modest retirement savings, without any extravagant extras, vacations, electronics, or new cars. And a *frugal* $700 monthly grocery budget for a family of 4.

Does the OP think $80,000 is 'rich'???? That doesn't go very far where I'm from. $80k "and up" is a pretty wide range.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Does the OP think $80,000 is 'rich'???? That doesn't go very far where I'm from. $80k "and up" is a pretty wide range.
    I'm guessing Lower Mainland or the Island?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Timthetaco Guest
    $80,000 is rich to me seeing as it's more than twice my total income and an entire four times what I myself actually earn without support, but I live alone with my wife in Arizona. It would seem like even more if I lived somewhere cheaper. I created this poll because I was curious about the general distribution of earned income on the forum. I realize it's pretty impossible to draw conclusions about how "rich" we all are when our circumstances can vary so widely; I'm really just collecting data, and kind of trying to prove a point about how it's possible to eat a paleo diet almost entirely regardless of your income.

And I know 80K+ is a wide range, but I wanted to limit the poll to five choices for the sake of simplicity.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    'Rich' is 50K more than you currently make.
    'Comfortable' is 10K more than you currently make.
    'not enough' or 'just enough' is what you currently make.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast