quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Portuguese
    French
    Irish
    Cherokee
    East African

aka

African American
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Portuguese
    French
    Irish
    Cherokee
    East African

aka

African American
    You forgot Awesome... Awesome should be on that list somewhere.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    People are either retired like Alan and I or else have jobs which involve computers and the extra time to goof off online while the boss isn't looking.
    And some are also THE boss that can go online as much as he want and without asking anybody...

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I'm curious how age might affect these figures too. Some younger folks have posted and the income seems to vary. I'm 24, white (mixed European, mostly slavic, ancestry), making $35k. My boyfriend is taking a break from school, $14/hr at a temp job, 1/4 Native American and the rest is white (mixed European ancestry). The cost of living is high around here, so we struggle, but we get by. If it weren't for illness and injury, we'd just have student loans (mine) and car loan (his) to pay off and would be fairly comfy with just enough extra income for a few nights out every month (or I could spend it on quality food instead of getting the cheap grocery store meat).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I suppose middle class. Well, there are a lot of things I can't afford, fortunately good quality food is not one of them.
    White, East European ancestry.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious how age might affect these figures too.
    A lot. Younger = lower paid, and less time to have accumulated anything including body fat.

To the extent that primal appeals to fat (at 270lbs I can say that) people, it's going to include a disproportionate number of people who changed social classes at least 5-10 years before their interest. Becoming a student, graduating, getting a better/worse job than your parents had, retiring, etc. all qualify as class changes as far as I can tell. Statistically speaking, people who move classes tend to weigh a fair amount more than people who don't, and it takes a few years to gain enough weight that people start looking for answers.

That certainly describes me...grew up in a resource-bound family (in other words: poor), currently have more money than sense (in other words: not a lot, but enough to do damage). Went from cooking everything at home (and I'm learning that if you drop the bread/rice/beans/pasta "filler" I grew up cooking, my core cooking style is very "primal") to eating out whenever I wanted. Went from active (I walked to work, walked to the grocery store, walked home carrying gallons of milk and everything else...I probably averaged 7-10 miles a day) to having a car and living in a suburb 6 miles (with zero sidewalks) from the nearest store, 20+ miles from work. Gained a lot of weight. Now I need to make changes, so I'm here. Reading some of the posts, it seems like my story isn't particularly unique.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I read this interesting blog post describing the class distinctions in the United States. Lots of people here will claim to belong to a class they're not really in because in actuality, the amount of money you have is not the deciding factor for what class/how much social mobility/access to power you have. In other words, the poll listing income as a way to determine whether we are "rich and white" isn't the best way to determine if we all belong to the same or to different classes. According to this article, I'm in the same social ladder as President Obama (a member of the Gentry). He's just a bit further up the ladder than me. I'm not in the same social ladder as either of the George Bushes (Elite) and never will be.
    The 3-ladder system of social class in the U.S. « Michael O.Church
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Ljphalen is offline Member
    I'm white and 25, last year was the first time my income broke 10k. Primal doesn't cost any more or less than you want to spend. Even when I'm superbroke, I can eat primal: I had $40 for groceries for 2 weeks at my last job. $40 got me 3 lbs of marked-down ground beef ($6), 2 lbs liver ($3), 6 dozen eggs ($16), 4lbs butter ($12) and a few dollars worth of squash, Brussels sprouts or kale. Throw in one IF day a week, and it might not be the most decadent way to eat, but it's primal and affordable, even for the broke.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I read this interesting blog post describing the class distinctions in the United States. Lots of people here will claim to belong to a class they're not really in because in actuality, the amount of money you have is not the deciding factor for what class/how much social mobility/access to power you have. In other words, the poll listing income as a way to determine whether we are "rich and white" isn't the best way to determine if we all belong to the same or to different classes. According to this article, I'm in the same social ladder as President Obama (a member of the Gentry). He's just a bit further up the ladder than me. I'm not in the same social ladder as either of the George Bushes (Elite) and never will be.
    The 3-ladder system of social class in the U.S. « Michael O.Church
    i'll have to check out that article later, but from your overview i think i'm going to like it, except for the similarity to sounding a bit like a caste system. i feel like class, both social and economic, is going to be a continually divisive issue in the US for a while.

so...how many rungs down from the president would you guess you are? 2? 3 maybe?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Obama is G1 and I'm G3. So only 2 apart. Most of the people here claiming to be poor are G4 (some college), L3 and L4 (blue collar workers). I don't think very many here are part of the permanent underclass. This caste system has little to do with race, only a little to do with birth/family, and has more mobility than a caste system like India's.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast