• 60K to 79K

26 15.29%
  • 80K or above

46 27.06%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Paleo Diet = Rich White People Diet? page 3

Zen11 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    The results so far, and posted comments, are interesting and not at all what I would have expected. I'm female, white, upper-middle class (earn approx $150k/yr) US citizen.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Asian, freshly graduated, and middle-class. I'm still a cheap fob who won't even heat her own house despite feeling cold all the time >_<

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    +1 on Nelle's point, that the group just reflects the population at large. but, i can understand any complaints from people who claim that paleo is for rich white people...it can be expensive if you don't take any short cuts, and look very expensive if you don't take the time to learn about it.
    Yes, plus this group reflects the segment of the population at large who own computers. That makes it a little narrower right there.

Totally agree that paleo only looks expensive at first glance. I find I actually spend less on food now because I buy more things that don't have barcodes (from scratch cooking) and eat out much less often. I also just eat less total food now that I am fat adapted and don't feel the need to eat five times a day.

oh, to answer the OP's question, yeah, I am rich and mostly white (a little Native American in the mix).

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    White, poor and proud, we decided to take a step back from the rat-race a while ago, so we have bugger all money but have time together, feel happier and richer for it, espially as the more you have the more you seem to need to spend, and everything loses value (currently typing on a £60 computer of e-bay )
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Totally agree that paleo only looks expensive at first glance. I find I actually spend less on food now because I buy more things that don't have barcodes (from scratch cooking) and eat out much less often. I also just eat less total food now that I am fat adapted and don't feel the need to eat five times a day.
    I completely agree with this.
    If one eats the essentials of the Primal/Paleo diet, without a bunch of gluten-free and substitution type foods, I think you really come out ahead or at least break even as far as spending for the food budget.

So many old snacks, high cost per lb items, and processed/packaged foods that added cost without nutritional value to weekly food budgets are left by the wayside... that it just makes sense.

I know that many people live in urban or suburban settings, but I was raised mostly "paleo/primal" in a family of 4-5 (depending on the year and familial fluctuations) below the 'poverty line' as I qualified for public assistance in the schools but I found school lunches disgusting. I'm talking maybe 15k a year for the whole family... but rural. We farmed ate meat, vegetables, fruits, eggs, and some fresh dairy. It was enough.

As to my race... as 'white' (50/50 Scot/German) with a touch of Cherokee (one of my Scot grandmothers was half) as any other American I suppose.
    I'm not rich, but I'm certainly not poor either. Been there, done that, know the feel well enough to appreciate the luxuries I get to enjoy now.

There are many things I respect about 'poor people food'. As in the simple 'poor people food' of yesterday. Cheaper cuts of meats, vegetables, tubers, rice, beans... all cooked and well seasoned. Simply delicious. And it translates across MANY cultures.
    With the exception of the beans (and I'd even make an exception for some beans or peas which are extremely low in toxicity naturally)... that is an entirely PALEO menu.

Of course... the 'poor people food' of today is a different story. It's a lie. Packaged/processed foods are not really a cheaper better value. They are just lazy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    As to my race... as 'white' (50/50 Scot/German) with a touch of Cherokee (one of my Scot grandmothers was half) as any other American I suppose.

...Well, to tell a family secret--my grandmother was Dutch.

Actually, I am English and English so white as white can be. I'm middle income and find that Primal is no where near as expensive as SAD because I eat out far less.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    White, retired at 44.. Sorry.

AC

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    If one eats the essentials of the Primal/Paleo diet, without a bunch of gluten-free and substitution type foods, I think you really come out ahead or at least break even as far as spending for the food budget.

So many old snacks, high cost per lb items, and processed/packaged foods that added cost without nutritional value to weekly food budgets are left by the wayside... that it just makes sense.

There are many things I respect about 'poor people food'. As in the simple 'poor people food' of yesterday.

Of course... the 'poor people food' of today is a different story. It's a lie. Packaged/processed foods are not really a cheaper better value. They are just lazy.
    Exactly. For the same money to buy a box of crackers and some Kraft cheese like substance, I can buy a chunk of raw goats milk cheese (hold the crackers).

My elderly BFF who grew up during the depression as a Jewish immigrant in Harlem knows a lot about the kind of "poor people's cooking" you are referring to. She makes brisket that is to die for. And she taught me how to cook offal and soup stocks from scratch. She has taken to Primal like a duck to water. She has reversed her pre-diabets diagnosis, gotten off a bunch of meds and is also losing weight.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    White, retired at 44.. Sorry.
    I think this is another important limiting factor in the demographic you are reaching. People are either retired like Alan and I or else have jobs which involve computers and the extra time to goof off online while the boss isn't looking. Those are by definition higher end jobs. If you were picking vegetables for a living or cleaning houses, you wouldn't have time for this stuff.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    White, 25, total household income is on the order of $60K/yr pre-tax, for the two of us. I'm not sure if you meant per capita income or household income so I picked the middle one. Per person, we're in the next one down.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast