Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry skin on shins page

seaweed is offline Senior Member

Dry skin on shins

Shop Now
    No matter what i do, i have dry skin on my shins. I can moisturise and coconut oil to keep it at bay but i still need to do it daily. i get enough fat in my diet. the rest of my skin is fine. i am going to try to drink more water but i am at a loss what else to do. anyone had it and improved it?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Do you deadlift, by any chance?

not very often. more often squat or lunge. why?

gt1cm2 is offline Junior Member
    The bar would scrape against your shins roughing up the skin. Try exfoliating and putting oil on your skin, I use grapeseed oil.

i do have a loofah so i will try that.

momrn is offline Member
    Try body brushing. It made my dry shins go away and it feels really nice, too.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem, it got really bad this summer and as an experiment I scoured my legs with sandy mud from a lake beach and then coated them in coconut oil, it helped but still wasn't the solution. I'll have to look into body brushing. I noticed the other day that my 4yo has the same scaly, dry shins that I do, and my grandma had before me. I assumed it was an odd genetic thing. The only lotion that ever worked for me has avocado oil in it, I've been meaning to whip up a coconut and avocado oil body butter once I run out of the nice smelling store bought stuff I have now.

i wonder about the genetic factor as my mum has the same thing. that said, my knees used to be real rough and dry and they arent anymore. my heels used to crack and they dont now either. none of those things has been from external moisturising. the heel cracking thing i am sure was from lack of decent fat in my diet as we ended up living in a bus one winter without heating when we were building. i used to drink cream in my tea to keep warm as it was cold. my heels never cracked then at all. even tho i would soak in the bath every night. tin bath outside with a fire underneath. absolute bliss.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I have had dry shins in particular, and dry skin all my life. Due to eczema, likely from food allergies etc. I have had a tough time with it lately, but seem to be over the hump by adding a humidifier and using the treatment Eucarin lotion
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've always had this, too. My shins and calves will always look like alligator skin without lotion or oil on them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast