Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk and sinus issues? Also wheat and oats? page

Jim_H is offline Member

Milk and sinus issues? Also wheat and oats?

At the recent recommendation of someone I know, I stopped drinking milk (store bought skim) 72 hours ago. This was recommended as a possible fix for nearly 4 years of obvious sinus issues, with chronic head aches, sinus infections, antibiotic use, prednisone use, and for the last year a near addiction to psuedophed. The psuedophed was losing it's efficacy very fast. Steroids helped the sinuses, but are otherwise very nasty.

For the first 24 hours, I had no real noticeable changes, but after 24 hours I really started to open up, and watery clear mucous was draining in copious amounts. Last night, I felt like I was on 60 MG of prednisone, but with none of the side effects. Today the drainage is slowing, and wow! do my maxillary sinuses feel so open. As do of my frontal sinuses, which usually felt like pressure points. In fact, they are so open for the first time I can recall (and am sensitive to) in as long as I can ever remember, that the air passing through them feels cold and annoying, but good.

Here is the issue. I like chocolate (dark) and use smart balance spread. Paleo aside, is the small amount of whey in the spread and milk fat in the chocolate probably enough to trigger a reaction? At this point, I would rather not test it, and I did just buy some new tubs. Frankly, I would be fine with an animal fat, but I just paid for these freshly opened tubs. I was going to use some tonight until I read the ingredients.

---------------------------------------------------
    In a related issue. For a number of years, I had unusual reoccurring GI symptoms that came and went, but never lasted. This August, I had it start up and it wasn't going away. Someone told me they thought I was gluten intolerant or may be celiac. Now, I won't stand to be called intolerant, but I decided the pain was worth a test, so I stopped eating any wheat products and the symptoms went away. Essentially, I gave up my daily tortilla (about all I ate anyway except when I ate out) and went to meat, potatoes, vegetables, and yes corn flakes or oatmeal. I accidentally ate a couple of fortune cookies a few weeks later and had a minor GI issue, and was fine for a month until I traveled and had food I believe had wheat in it, as I had bad GI issues for several days. It was Chinese food with a white sauce I think had flower to thicken it, and a sonic shake that might have had gluten to thicken it, as well.

I had a blood test a few weeks ago, and the results I received said I was not allergic to wheat, but to oats. Now, I never stopped eating oats, but the GI symptoms went away. Oats never seemed to bother me. I think the test may have been miss read, but I am too afraid to test it by eating wheat products. Until I quit milk Friday night, I would have loved a good pizza. As far as I know, milk was not tested.

I haven't had oat meal, but I have had cliff bars (which have oats in them ) as recently as Friday, but none since. I like them on hikes, and usually eat 1 or 2 for lunch with fruit. Is it possible I am actually not allergic to wheat, but to oats, and somehow I could eat the oats without the GI S/S, perhaps until wheat is involved?

At the very least, right now my sinuses are much better then they have been in years. If it is the milk, then bye bye milk. If it is the lack of oats, then so long cliff bars, oatmeal, and oats. Maybe it is the cutting out of the combination of milk and oats, or milk, oats, and wheat? I don't know. When I learned of gluten sensitivity, I hoped that cutting that out of my diet (which I believed I had to for the GI symptoms) would cure my sinus issues. It did not appear to.

It could also all be coincidence, but I really doubt that. It would be nice to be able to travel and eat wheat, milk, oats and so on, not straight, but because food has so many things in it you can't always control and you need to eat out once in a while.

Thought?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Cut the conscious grains, and for you it seems the dairy as well....You can't control for everything but that is in part the 80/20.
    If it turns out you are that sensitive eating out may not be an option.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Do a Whole 30 and then revisit your suspected poisons. The reaction should be swift and obvious.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    When I had major leaky gut issues (6 years ago) I had already been off of wheat for months, then got allergy tested. I reacted to damn near everything. But I think perhaps my gut was just THAT unhealthy at the time and the foods I did eat caused most of the reactions. That being said, most oats cross-contaminate with wheat, unless you buy a GF variety. I had the same, improved sinuses, reaction after stopping dairy.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You're asking us whether you should cut out skim milk, oats, wheat, and smart balance spread? I think you got the wrong number, buddy. Doesn't sound remotely like you understand what the Primal Blueprint is about. Do you have the book?

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Interestingly I got the test recently too. I also showed positive for oats but not gluten, but this test shows an allergy, not an intolerance and is just a guideline for things you should be possibly aware of and test yourself. I am also screamingly high for eggs and dairy, and know I just can't do those anymore. The doctor was surprised that gluten and wheat didn't show up on mine... usually wheat and oats come with eggs and dairy, so I don't think I have tested them alone. I agree with the do the whole30. I am going to do another one with all my identified allergens out there and try the proper re-introduction schedule. I know how you feel, I am kinda sad to have to remove eggs, dairy and likely tree nuts from my diet for good. As well as gluten as even if tolerated, not a good thing.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Jim_H is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Interestingly I got the test recently too. I also showed positive for oats but not gluten, but this test shows an allergy, not an intolerance and is just a guideline for things you should be possibly aware of and test yourself. I am also screamingly high for eggs and dairy, and know I just can't do those anymore. The doctor was surprised that gluten and wheat didn't show up on mine... usually wheat and oats come with eggs and dairy, so I don't think I have tested them alone. I agree with the do the whole30. I am going to do another one with all my identified allergens out there and try the proper re-introduction schedule. I know how you feel, I am kinda sad to have to remove eggs, dairy and likely tree nuts from my diet for good. As well as gluten as even if tolerated, not a good thing.
    That is interesting. Do you show any symptoms of an allergy to oats? As far as I know, I never have. I ate oats in 2 cliff bars for lunch yesterday, but had no symptoms or outward signs. No sinus issues, no GI, no nothing I can perceive. I have switched to bacon, eggs and potatoes for breakfast, eating 2 eggs, also with no s/s, so hopefully I only have an allergy or problem with milk, and wheat for GI problems. Still.

I can see that I might be sensitive to wheat, but not technically allergic. I can always try eating it in the future, but I prefer not to deal with the GI distress just to test it.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Clif bars are full of SOY. Do yourself a favor and cut out soy in all forms and see if you notice a difference.

I know what wheat does to me. Its not so bad that I can't indulge in a treat once in a while. But noticeable enough to remind me not to make a habit of it. Chronic grains consumption sends me on a downward spiral. Seed oils (soy, canola) combined with grains is much, much worse. Chinese takeout? Forget it. Not worth the aftermath.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Lose the Smart Balance. You can use olive oil or coconut oil if you don't want to use animal fats (though I'm not sure why you wouldn't). You're only wasting, what, maybe $10? You'll earn that back in health.

You CAN find "vegan" chocolate, meaning it would have no dairy products in it. You'll have to pay more for it, but until you're ready to test any sensitivity to dairy found in dark chocolate, it might be worth it. I'd say you should give yourself at least 30 days completely dairy free before you mess around with it. Let your body recover (though you'll probably need more time than that for your gut to normalize completely).

Why do you want to eat oats anyway? They're not nutritionally superior to anything except cardboard, maybe. You could probably make your own snack bars from figs/dates, nuts & coconut, but I'm wondering why you don't eat a more substantial lunch with some meat protein and/or vegetable matter.

If you haven't been eating wheat lately in much amounts, the test would be negative even if you were allergic. The antibodies that indicate a wheat allergy are not present unless they have something to deal with (which is not the case if you don't eat wheat).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ooh Enjoy Life brand makes vegan chocolate that is great!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast